HeliFreak

HeliFreak (http://www.helifreak.com/index.php)
-   500 Aftermarket Upgrades (http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   TREX 500 Gyro Tray and Battery Tray (http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=135286)

rdlohr 04-27-2009 06:27 AM

TREX 500 Gyro Tray and Battery Tray
 
http://www.helifreak.com/picture.php...ictureid=17263


http://www.helifreak.com/picture.php...pictureid=1434

Thanks
Rick

cation3 04-27-2009 01:05 PM

Yeah. Get 'em (I got both), but mount the rear tray the other way:

http://inlinethumb05.webshots.com/42...600x600Q85.jpg

Makes for a cleaner heli:

http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/43...600x600Q85.jpg

-Drew

rdlohr 04-27-2009 05:16 PM

SWEEEEET!
Rick

hkremer 06-28-2009 12:23 PM

RX/Gyro Tray
 
I just got the RX/Gyro tray from rhlor, I like the cleaner look of mounting the tray "backwards" or into the body of the frame. Any thoughts/issues after the fact on doing it this way?

rdlohr 07-30-2009 11:40 AM

Its made to work either way. Your electronics will be setting a bit closer to the motor but I have never heard of anyone having an issue with that. Let us know how it works out.

Rick

l-fever 01-20-2010 09:50 AM

Ordered one! :thumbup:

rdlohr 01-20-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l-fever (Post 1786821)
Ordered one! :thumbup:

Cool. Looking forward to hear what you think!
Rick

l-fever 01-23-2010 03:31 PM

Just installed the gyro tray! Awesome ! Highly recommend! :thumbup::thumbup:

rdlohr 01-23-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l-fever (Post 1794434)
Just installed the gyro tray! Awesome ! Highly recommend! :thumbup::thumbup:

Music to my ears! Thanks!
Rick

tonyxwing 02-16-2010 07:35 PM

Gyro Tray
 
5 Attachment(s)
Rick, first off thank you for the great product! I love it! Here is my review of the gyro tray.

Items Supplied
  • Gyro Tray
  • 4 Screws w/Washers
  • Instruction Manual
Installation
  • Installation was a snap. Simply remove the old plastic receiver tray from the heli.
  • Insert the new gyro tray and bolt down with the supplied screws and washers.
  • Put a small amount of CA glue on your screws to keep everything snug.
  • Reinstall your gyro or receiver on to the tray (or both if you prefer).
Flight Characteristics
  • The heli flies rock solid with this tray. With the gyro on the tray there is no vibrations or any tail wag visible. It is solid! Along with the great flight characteristics, the heli looks cleaner and your gyro is in a much safer place on the heli.
Thanks for the tray!!!!

:clappp:Bang:thumbup:

rdlohr 02-16-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyxwing (Post 1847901)
Rick, first off thank you for the great product! I love it! Here is my review of the gyro tray.

Items Supplied
  • Gyro Tray
  • 4 Screws w/Washers
  • Instruction Manual
Installation
  • Installation was a snap. Simply remove the old plastic receiver tray from the heli.
  • Insert the new gyro tray and bolt down with the supplied screws and washers.
  • Put a small amount of CA glue on your screws to keep everything snug.
  • Reinstall your gyro or receiver on to the tray (or both if you prefer).
Flight Characteristics
  • The heli flies rock solid with this tray. With the gyro on the tray there is no vibrations or any tail wag visible. It is solid! Along with the great flight characteristics, the heli looks cleaner and your gyro is in a much safer place on the heli.
Thanks for the tray!!!!

:clappp:Bang:thumbup:

Thanks for the nice words, review, and pictures! That means everything to me! :hug:

Rick

Heechee 02-25-2010 10:39 AM

I'm sorry to say that I'm not that happy with the gyro tray. It's not straight, but crooked. I took two photos of how the holes in the plastic look after I've had it installed in the heli.

One side:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/...30a6592a_b.jpg

The other side:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2717/...0b5ff54f_b.jpg

Notice how the hole closer to the gyro tape residue is higher on one side, and lower on the other, causing the plastic to bend lengthwise (head - tail -wise).

It's possible of course that I somehow installed it incorrectly, causing the problem? One thing I noticed is that when not fully tightened, the screws are quite a bit narrower than the holes in the heli are wide. I.e. when not fully tightened, the plastic is free to move around quite a bit. Here are some measurements with my digital caliper.

Screws are 1.89mm wide.
Hole 1: 2.94mm-2.88mm wide
Hole 2: 2.55mm
Hole 3: 2.63-2.55mm
Hole 4: 3.01-2.95mm

Holes 1 and 4 are closest to the head of the heli. I have the T-REX 500 ESP Superior Combo KX017011.

rdlohr 02-25-2010 05:19 PM

Sorry about that. Its a manual process. I'll be glad to replace it. PM me your shipping name and address and I'll get one right out.

Rick

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heechee (Post 1866954)
I'm sorry to say that I'm not that happy with the gyro tray. It's not straight, but crooked. I took two photos of how the holes in the plastic look after I've had it installed in the heli.

One side:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/...30a6592a_b.jpg

The other side:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2717/...0b5ff54f_b.jpg

Notice how the hole closer to the gyro tape residue is higher on one side, and lower on the other, causing the plastic to bend lengthwise (head - tail -wise).

It's possible of course that I somehow installed it incorrectly, causing the problem? One thing I noticed is that when not fully tightened, the screws are quite a bit narrower than the holes in the heli are wide. I.e. when not fully tightened, the plastic is free to move around quite a bit. Here are some measurements with my digital caliper.

Screws are 1.89mm wide.
Hole 1: 2.94mm-2.88mm wide
Hole 2: 2.55mm
Hole 3: 2.63-2.55mm
Hole 4: 3.01-2.95mm

Holes 1 and 4 are closest to the head of the heli. I have the T-REX 500 ESP Superior Combo KX017011.


Heechee 04-27-2010 01:14 PM

I'm happy to say that now everything works as it should. I got a replacement part from Rick, and I today tried a test flight in a bit of wind. Here's the installation with Align 3G FBL, Spartan Quark anti-vibration kit with metal plate, and some tape to ensure the cable stays in place.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3271/...f243cdc6_o.jpg

rdlohr 04-27-2010 06:25 PM

Excellent! :thumbup:

Rick

jimheli 05-28-2010 03:07 PM

got one of those mounts for my trex 500 , for the vbar gyro , very good it is to ,with 4 good bolts supplied , great upgrade, glade yours is sorted now .









jim

rdlohr 05-28-2010 05:48 PM

Thanks Jim! :smokin:

Rick

radocs 05-30-2010 03:04 PM

Here is my vbar 500. I very happy for this gyro plate upgrade!! Thx Rick! ;)

http://rcpilot.hu/users/50/694/b_201005211958187856.jpg

rdlohr 05-31-2010 10:29 PM

Sweet. Looking good!
Rick

Quote:

Originally Posted by radocs (Post 2093303)
Here is my vbar 500. I very happy for this gyro plate upgrade!! Thx Rick! ;)

http://rcpilot.hu/users/50/694/b_201005211958187856.jpg


Steve Evans 05-03-2011 05:56 PM

Even better in CF!

http://www.helifreak.com/album.php?albumid=5539

Flys so much better with this! :)

Now with a CGY750, sensor on top:

http://www.helifreak.com/attachment....9&d=1301451780

Control unit underneath:

http://www.helifreak.com/attachment....8&d=1301451780

Steve


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.

Copyright © 2004-2011 - William James - Helifreak.com