HeliFreak

HeliFreak (http://www.helifreak.com/index.php)
-   JR Helicopters (http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   JR ERGO 60 reincarnation thread (http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=385382)

Bikersurgeon 02-16-2012 08:44 AM

JR ERGO 60 reincarnation thread

In the last 3 months I have finally learned to fly RC helicopters in basic fashion. In 1996 my lovely wife bought me an ergo 60...I had flown planks since 1982, wanted to try helis...I built it and could not fly it, so I shelved it. The other day I pulled it off the shelf and got the bug to refurbish it (after building a titan x50 I have the fever). I have new electronics on the way, and FINALLY managed to find a new belt from heliproz and new main gear from ron lund....that seems to be about it for replacement parts, so if any of you JR folks have ergo parts for sale PLEASE let me know....or if you know of another parts source. I plan on documenting the rebuild of this dinosaur here, with photos, and a video of it's maiden flight after 16 years. Thanks.

Bob O 02-16-2012 08:59 AM

:)

Bikersurgeon 02-16-2012 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here she is in all her initial glory....was going to completely tear her down, but got this far: the collar below the main shaft and autorotation assembly is SO corroded it will not come off....been soaking for hours in WD40, so in a bit I'll heat it up and try it again.

Bikersurgeon 02-16-2012 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
GOT IT! The collar broke loose and the head is off...so it's coming apart tonight, with cleaning/lubrication...I've determined that the rebuild will not be perfect due to the lack of replacement parts...ordered some JR vibe 60 dampers on the gamble they will fit...we'll see.

Bob O 02-16-2012 11:15 PM

Looks like you have your work cut out for you! ;)

Bikersurgeon 02-17-2012 09:20 AM

LOL boy I'll say! This thing is a mess.

sdaniels8 02-17-2012 09:39 PM

JR Ergo 60 parts

I have some parts available, however this heli is getting very rare. I choose not to fly mine weekely to reduce my chances of crashing it out. The Ergo 60 is a great flying very stable machine. Crashing one out means lots of cash and pain. I would not recommend this heli for your rebuild project. It will be far cheaper to sell this one on some site and buy a more easily replaceable heli to have fun with. However if you continue with your project, let me know what you need.

Bikersurgeon 02-17-2012 10:35 PM

I very much appreciate the advice...and parts help!. My original plan was to refurbish this bird, put a scale fuselage on it, and just lumber it around..however, after attempting to find parts, I agree with you...any mishap will be a near impossible exercise in googling...I'll do a scale build later with a tTREX or something. I must, however, get this bird in the air, simply because it was a gift from my wife so many years ago, and I could not conquer it...I have to prove I can now....and she'll be proud...while she's getting her nails done :) lol

Bikersurgeon 02-21-2012 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ron Lund come through....got a new main gear, autorotation assembly, and seesaw boom (the old seesaw had a stripped screw hole)...all to this point has been taken apart, sanded, lubed, replaced/reinstalled.

Bob O 02-22-2012 03:13 AM

Dang that thing is a beast!!!

Bikersurgeon 02-25-2012 12:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Alright, engine stripped/cleaned/lubed. There are zero parts available for a webra 61H, but everything inside actually looked great...it, after all, wasn't even broken in lol. Engine installed....new tail belt, modern servos/rx/gyro (check out that servo/swash setup...not adjusted yet but the mechanics of it are fascinating), and skids back on. The rubber skid-to-frame dampers dry rotted off so I made a standoff from aluminum. Tail box is going on tonight, then adjust everything! Have new main blades already.

Bob O 02-25-2012 02:33 PM

Crazy that you got it back to flying condition so quickly!! :thumbup:

Bikersurgeon 02-25-2012 03:24 PM

Thanks man....sleep is optional!! Lol

Bikersurgeon 02-25-2012 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tail on! Belt correct tension (and direction)....pitch/cyclic servos/links adjusted properly. Throttle not attempted yet and gotta download a gy611 manual before setting the tail up...but the tail is on and smooth! The only problem I foresee is a canopy. I cannot find mine, nor can I find one online. Anyone know of a company that makes canopies to order??

Bikersurgeon 03-21-2012 01:43 PM

maiden ready!

1 Attachment(s)
Haven't had a lot of spare time lately, but finally the Ergo is ready to maiden (sans canopy...cannot find one anywhere). I could not figure why my BLS251 servo wouldn't work with the GY611....turns out that the black ground wire on the servo lead does not go on top (screen side) of the control unit like the two leads going from the unit to the Rx...assumptions. Now for a rainless day and some more free time.

Bob O 03-21-2012 01:46 PM

One would think the wires would match up. Glad you got it figured out though.

What kind of weather is in your forecast?

Bikersurgeon 03-21-2012 03:35 PM

Hey, bob! Lol i think futaba got so wrapped up in high tech circuitry they fogot some common sense. Two more days of rain here....but temps mild from here on out!

Bikersurgeon 04-30-2012 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
just another step...finally found a canopy that will work...from a raptor .90. It's almost perfect, just a few simply changes. May try to find a new pipe/muffler, and paint the canopy, then go lift her off :)

RodneyK 05-17-2012 02:32 PM

I saw this on my local Craigslist and when I Googled the Ergo 60, this thread showed up. Anyway, if you're still looking for parts...

http://boise.craigslist.org/tag/3021210175.html

Rodney

Bikersurgeon 05-22-2012 10:02 PM

Oh man! I just got back home and saw this and its been deleted...guess he sold it. Thanks for the try though, knuckledragger!! Appreciate it.