Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Old 05-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #1
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location
Default Trex 450 SE and general build videos are here

It was suggested by a excellent contributor GimbalFan that I order my videos in a order that should be follow by a new person (n00b) with a new Trex. I liked the suggestion and now the videos are in order as they should be viewed.

NEW VIDEOS added 8/28/2007!
My old beater SE got pretty totaled at IRCHA night flying (I wont explain but it wasnt me) and I had to do a rebuild. Thus I decided to do a video on things that I had not done on the SE before. That is a complete frame build (All 4 frame sides were broken in the crash) and HS65MG servo install. So with that here ya go:

NEW VIDEO -> Trex SE frame build (40 Megs)

NEW VIDEO -> Installing HS65MG servos in an SE (50 Megs)

Here are the other Trex 450 videos:

General Maintenance Ad-hoc Video (20 Megs)

Installing the NEW SE tail hub (20 Megs)

Modifying the new SE tail hub to make it much better (10 Megs)

Thread Lock 101 (15 Megs)

Installing HS56 Servos in a Trex SE (38 Megs)

Ball Links 101 (20 Megs)

Soldering Bullet (Motor) Connectors 101 (50 Megs)

Soldering Deans Connectors 101 (30 Megs)

Trex Electronics placement and overview (28 Megs)

CCPM Setup Part 1 (58 Megs)

CCPM Setup Part 2 (58 Megs)

Pitch and Throttle Curves 101 (58 Megs)

401 gyro setup (48 Megs)

Align ESC setup (30 Megs)

Blade Balancing (30 Megs)

Canopy Trimming 101 (28 Megs)

Servo Repair 101 (30 Megs)

Replacing the Align Auto-rotation Clutch (20 Megs)

Blade Tracking 101 (35 Megs)

Programming the Futaba 9Z for a heli (78 Megs)

Enjoy!
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Finless; 08-28-2007 at 05:50 PM..
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
efly726
Registered Users

Bob - thank you for the videos. They have been invaluable in helping me set up my Trex successfully.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:54 AM   #3
refreshlee
Registered Users

hello, what's the video's name to set up things? mine is tres 450se v2. thank u
refreshlee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
STOCKMAL
Registered Users

Bob....your videos have done more to promote the hobby of RC helicopters then all the rest put together, and to allow them to be downloaded for FREE!
Not many like you left Bob!
Thanks
STOCKMAL is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
jagger1972
Registered Users

hey guys, i have a blueray 450 pe , i usally hang out in rc groups.com blueray thread. im replacing my tail, Does any one know of a break down and install vid of a tail boom with cnc rotor, the bluerays a trex 450 clone so any 450 trex vid will do too, for the most part having lil trouble getting the back end off, i took out the screw on with the nut that goes on the squeeze down clamp the slides on the end, she still wont pop off. i must be missing something, i would appriciate any links or suggestions,

Thanks
Jag
jagger1972 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Jasmine2501
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagger1972 View Post
hey guys, i have a blueray 450 pe , i usally hang out in rc groups.com blueray thread. im replacing my tail, Does any one know of a break down and install vid of a tail boom with cnc rotor, the bluerays a trex 450 clone so any 450 trex vid will do too, for the most part having lil trouble getting the back end off, i took out the screw on with the nut that goes on the squeeze down clamp the slides on the end, she still wont pop off. i must be missing something, i would appriciate any links or suggestions,

Thanks
Jag
You have to remove all the screws - there's like 6 of them. You have to separate the two halves of the case or you'll bend something and won't be able to get the belt and shaft out. There's two screws on the tail fin, one on the little roller, and three on the end.

jazzyflight.blogspot.com
Jasmine2501 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
checky
Registered Users

Wow, today I made my first flight. It was a little windy and I had shaky hands due to the tension.
When I first checked the setup before taking of I noticed the setup was changed (due to that I reprogramed the ESC yesterday evening). So I had to correct the setup again.

After setting all correct again(probably was not correct in the first place...) I decided to give it another go.
Slowly throttle-up affraid to loose it already... left it on half trottle for a while and decided to check the heli once more (still a little affraid).

Then after rechecking all I decided to go for it and lifted of, It went better then expected, even with the wind..... I hovered for about 3 minutes without to much trouble and put the heli down pretty smoothly ;-)

Now I'm still recovering from all the tension. I have never build a heli myself and only had a small toy heli before...

THANKS BOB FOR YOUR GREAT VIDEOS !!!!!!

I could not have made it this far without your help!
checky is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
marke
Registered Users

Thank you Again Bob(finless)

sorry you have to do this again but it looks like your safe here so I think you will have to post them just one more time!

Marke
marke is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
stpeteheli
Registered Users

Bob,

Will you be able to post the video on CCPM Setup Part 2?

Thanks!
stpeteheli is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
Finless
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteheli
Bob,

Will you be able to post the video on CCPM Setup Part 2?

Thanks!
It's in process but I just got a FTP error so the Admins will need to delete the current upload so I can redo it. Should be up today!

bob

Old 07-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
aakuk
Registered Users

hi bob, the videos are fantastic. Your king man.
I have a quick question. I bought a switch harness which should be easy to install, however i have a slight problem, the port that connects to the battery doesnt fit, the other two ports which go into the reciever and charger are fine. I have the trex align 450 se v2 and im using the standard battery that has come with it.
thanks buddy
aakuk is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #12
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

You dont use a switch harness between a lipo and the speed controller!
Those are ONLY used on larger helis where you have a nicad pack to power the radio gear and a lipo to power the motor. Your Trex has a ESC with a BEC and thus power from the lipo will be supplied by the ESC's BEC to your RX at the proper voltage.

Go see my video on ESC / BEC's. That should help.

Bob

Old 05-12-2006, 04:54 PM   #13
ericnord
Registered Users

I'm getting a file does not exist error on this CCPM video 1.

-Eric
ericnord is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #14
magimat
Registered Users

hey Bob!

First of all, like everyone else says, THANKS A LOT for your videos! Really good job.

I am planning my 450SE v2 build right now and I watched all your videos. Right now, I am focusing on the cyclic servos installation. I bought 3x HS65HB and it seems that I didnt get any tab for the screws that come with it. All I have is 4 screws with each servo, but no tab to bite into.

I checked the holes in the frame where those servo screws go and there is no thread in the frame, so I guess the servos are supposed to be installed with tiny bolts with nuts, or I am supposed to have tabs for the screws, but I dont have any

Of course, I could order some but I had an idea and I wanted to know what you think about it. Since the supplied screws look like wood screws, I was thinking of using some tiny wood pieces on the servos (maybe glued) and just screw the supplied screws through the frame and in the wood. I'm pretty sure this would work just well. Of course it wouldn't look too neat, but some wood pieces inside the frame wouldn't be that bad I guess.

What you think?
magimat is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #15
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

You should have gotten some black screw tabs... If you didnt get them OR in a pinch you can use cut off servo arms as screw backs.

PLEASE if you do thast make sure they are trimmed properly so they dont PUSH into the servos and bind them! Make sure they go easy and dont press against the servos.

Bob

Old 10-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #16
magimat
Registered Users

Thanks for the quick answer!

I read a few palces that normally some metal tabs come with the servos, but I must have been unlucky since none of my three servos have any.

Anyway, your idea of using clipped horns is great, way better than my wood pieces idea, that's what I'll do for sure.

By the way, here is another one for you. I just got my kit yesterday and since it is a SE v2, almost all the frame is already assembled. I know you suggest to remove the screws to make sure there is some threadlock, but I removed a few and they seem quite well tight. I can see some white stuff when I remove em, but I cant tell if its threadlock or some carbon fiber from the frame, but anyway. the screws I removed so far looked quite tight.

Do you have any experience with a new SEv2 frame, do you still suggest removing all the screws and be sure to put a drop of blue thread lock on all on them?

Thanks again. You're really da man!
magimat is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #17
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

The white poweder on the screw is thread lock and yes I could ask youto check them all and in frsutration you could find they ALL are lcoktited... BUT I also have seen many times a screw or 2 was missed... This can casue a failure in flight so to this day YES I ask you to check them all... It is up to you hoenstly and many never have a problem! But I HATE having a crash because of a hardware failure!

Bob

Old 05-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #18
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnord
I'm getting a file does not exist error on this CCPM video 1.

-Eric
Eric, it should be working now.... Will had to do a little fix on the server for me so he had it down for a few minutes.

Bob

Old 05-12-2006, 05:04 PM   #19
ericnord
Registered Users

Roger, like the splash screen! I really want to get this thing to move this weekend.

Thanks,
-Eric
ericnord is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #20
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

OK, CCPM part 2 and installing servos is up!

Bob

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos