Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > For Sale Forums KNOW your buyer/seller ratings! No Price bashing. NO FIREARMS > Stolen, Ripoffs and Scammer alerts

Stolen, Ripoffs and Scammer alerts Post your theft, scammed, ripped off reports here

Old 01-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
nartac
Registered Users

Default Victim of credit card fraud

I never thought it would happen to me. I have a credit card that I exclusively use for heli purchases. Mostly purchase online through paypal using my credit card except for my LHS purchases. Couple of days ago I received a call from my credit card company (Chase) notifying me that my credit card number may be compromised. I didn't make any purchases that day but the rep asked if I did. I denied the purchases and she thought that it was compromised. It turned out there were two purchases to Microsoft Xbox Live for total of $150. Man I'm glad they were able to detect that and I wonder how. Anyway, I'm glad I got a new number and new card but it makes me leery about further use of online purchases.

Come to think of it, the last time I purchased anything online was to Radical RC before this happened. They didn't have an option for paypal payment so I used my credit card number instead. I'm not saying they are the culprits but I wonder if their system has been compromised?

EDIT: looking at Radical RC website again and it clearly says they accept paypal but I didn't get that option during checkout. It directed me to pay by credit card instead when I made a purchase few days ago.
nartac is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #2
mmjl_
Registered Users

I just got hit myself. A charge for $300 for airline tix in Budapest. I dont even know where Budapest is!! I use my card for everything, but the only Hobby Stores I've used at were amainhobbies, readyheli and HeliDirect. I try to use PayPal to avoid this, but not all sites accept it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
gmo1
Registered Users

I think you should find out where it is before you go You might just get hungary and not have capital to buy food.

If a site does not offer PayPal go somehere else there are always places that offer it.
gmo1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
mmjl_
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmo1 View Post
I think you should find out where it is before you go You might just get hungary and not have capital to buy food.

If a site does not offer PayPal go somehere else there are always places that offer it.
Haha.....slick!! Well, if I do get Hungary, I'll make sure to Pay my Pal for the food next time!

Old 01-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
mattm55
Registered Users

Yeah, about 18mos ago my cards were compromised. They usually (scammers) go after the big credit card processing sites rather than the local/online retailers. Most of the local/online retailers go thru these processing companies and I think the one that got compromised on the east coast was in Georgia or Tenn... ???

A good idea is to setup fraud alerts/protection for your cards. I have mine setup for key transaction limits online and they notify me when any transaction meets that criteria. Yeah a pain, but it gives me a piece of mind. When mine did get compromised, I immediately did some checking online and found orders/pending charges and called the online company up right away. I knew the CC company wouldn't investigate this as fast and I helped the woman at HP track and stop 3 laptops that were ready to ship out and she was very, very thankful.

Good luck and keep an eye on ALL your CC transactions... debit cards too now I hear.... arrggg I hate scammers!

Matt
mattm55 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
nartac
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm55 View Post
Yeah, about 18mos ago my cards were compromised. They usually (scammers) go after the big credit card processing sites rather than the local/online retailers. Most of the local/online retailers go thru these processing companies and I think the one that got compromised on the east coast was in Georgia or Tenn... ???

A good idea is to setup fraud alerts/protection for your cards. I have mine setup for key transaction limits online and they notify me when any transaction meets that criteria. Yeah a pain, but it gives me a piece of mind. When mine did get compromised, I immediately did some checking online and found orders/pending charges and called the online company up right away. I knew the CC company wouldn't investigate this as fast and I helped the woman at HP track and stop 3 laptops that were ready to ship out and she was very, very thankful.

Good luck and keep an eye on ALL your CC transactions... debit cards too now I hear.... arrggg I hate scammers!

Matt
Matt,

How do you setup this credit card fraud alert? Through your credit card company?

Cain
nartac is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
caralmar
Registered Users

I got a free PP mastercard. I use it anywhere online that doesn't accept PP directly. You pay no fees for using it, and the funds come out of the PP account. If the PP account doesn't have enough funds, it is taken out of the linked checking account. So in essence, it is a debit card but linked to PP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AmainHobbies/ProTek Field Rep
Rush 700 * Trex 700N x 2 * Trex 600Pro * Gaui NX4 * 450L Dominator - V-Bar on all
AMA #934662
caralmar is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
mattm55
Registered Users

Yes, I have both Chase and AMEX fraud alerts thru their respective websites. I can get alerts by ph, txt or email and on specific limits.

I setup alerts for online tx's, balance thresholds, etc... so I get a bunch of alerts (do alot of charging for points) but after getting hacked, its no bother at all.

Your CC companies options may vary but definitely worth setting up if available. Mine told me I would only be held accountable for the first $50 but they waved it. In the end, they did get one laptop out of 4 ordered but at least they had the shipped address (a CA address no less and I'm in NY) Go figure....

Hope that info helps? We all pay for these scams one way or another... Argggg

Matt
mattm55 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
NachoFoot
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm55 View Post

Your CC companies options may vary but definitely worth setting up if available. Mine told me I would only be held accountable for the first $50 but they waved it. In the end, they did get one laptop out of 4 ordered but at least they had the shipped address (a CA address no less and I'm in NY) Go figure....
Sounds like you might need a new CC company. They should be able to reverse 100% of fraudulent charges. If not, don't pay the bill.
NachoFoot is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
mmjl_
Registered Users

An update to my situation:

I was hit with another fraudulent charge on the new card I received. This will be the 2nd time in 3 weeks with two separate cards. I have this pinned to HeliDirect. They are the only company that I have used the new card with. They are the common denominator.

I called to cancel my new card and I also called HeliDirect to let them know. I can't say that this is being done intentionally by anyone there, but my bank told me that the purchase that they made on my account they had to know my home address also. HeliDirect has that on file. YOU be the Judge!!

I'm gonna post this in a new thread also so everyone is aware.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
Egroeg
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi from Cyprus.
I don't know how things work there on the other side of the pond but:
I have a dedicated Internet card for online shopping....no magnetic strip...
Put funds I the card and pay....otherwise there are only 2 euros in the acc...so nothing to be stolen.
When a payment is made...an SMS informs me immediately on my bobble of the amount.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
coupester
Registered Users

Wife and I were both hit. Common is HELIDIRECT!!!

She ordered an xmas present for me from HELIDIRECT and 3 weeks later...her CC fraud dept called her.

I get a call from my CC company fraud dept and only transactions were from HELIDIRECT.

coupester is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #13
Cailid
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupester View Post
Wife and I were both hit. Common is HELIDIRECT!!!

She ordered an xmas present for me from HELIDIRECT and 3 weeks later...her CC fraud dept called her.

I get a call from my CC company fraud dept and only transactions were from HELIDIRECT.

Were the purchases made online using the same computer? If so then you could have a keylogger on your computer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves" - Albert Einstein
Cailid is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
FINCLOSER
Registered Users

Default Used Helidirect

I have purchased several items at several different times from them, using my CC and no problems yet (knock on wood). I think you may have a keylogger.
FINCLOSER is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
burnoutboy
Registered Users

After the whole Sony PSN getting hacked thing I switched to a pre paid NetSpend Visa card for all of my online transactions. Let them try and get anything off it. It only has an available balance when I load it up to make a purchase. Free text messages every time money is added or deducted from the card within a minute.

IMO it's the safest way to use a CC online.

PM me for your soldering and mSR X BL build needs.
burnoutboy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
hamstar78
Registered Users

damn that stinks helidirect is where i order most stuff, time for a change
Old 01-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
Spork01
Registered Users

Yikes! Someone call HD and let them know! they are a major retailer and a major advertiser at helifreak
Spork01 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #18
dantemcc
Registered Users

I got it even worse than everyone. Both CC i have were stolen twice. Once witht he original CC and another with the replacement CC with new numbers. One was 1500 for countless charges, another was for around 500 i belive on both my CC. Now every purchase online i make, whether or not its r/c related, i used a generated CC number through my bank instead of my real CC number. Once i use it, the CC number is dead, so even if someone steals it, it aint no good after im done with it.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
HeliIntervention
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantemcc View Post
I got it even worse than everyone. Both CC i have were stolen twice. Once witht he original CC and another with the replacement CC with new numbers. One was 1500 for countless charges, another was for around 500 i belive on both my CC. Now every purchase online i make, whether or not its r/c related, i used a generated CC number through my bank instead of my real CC number. Once i use it, the CC number is dead, so even if someone steals it, it aint no good after im done with it.
Was this related to HeliDirect?

Trex 480 Pro DFC, RoBird, Devo 10 Deviation 3.0,
Trex 450 Pro DFC, AR7200BX, Devo 10 Deviation 3.0
HeliIntervention is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #20
dantemcc
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliIntervention View Post
Was this related to HeliDirect?
Yup, both times I made purchases through their website, using my CC through paypal, they were stolen

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > For Sale Forums KNOW your buyer/seller ratings! No Price bashing. NO FIREARMS > Stolen, Ripoffs and Scammer alerts

Stolen, Ripoffs and Scammer alerts Post your theft, scammed, ripped off reports here