Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
WBFAir

My HF Map location
Default New Quantum motor on a 700E FBL ?

Hello all

I have a 700E all apart as I sent in my HeliJive for the update and by the way I built it, it had to come all apart to disconnect it from the motor.

Since it would be the best time and as well as it really needs to be done, I want to replace the stock motor before putting it back together.

Hands down my first and really about only perfect choice would be the Xera 4035 2.5y 480 but sadly Dave is not making any right now (nor seems to be selling/making any others) and as most would understand, there is no word on when he will and its just getting too close to the season to wait much longer so I have to make a move.

In looking over what can be gotten, I have come across these new Quantum motors that are supposed to be coming out by the end of the month.

http://www.quantummotors.com

From what I gather they are being made by the same company that made the Outrage motors which I gather were not held highly but supposedly, these are of a new design?

At any rate, in looking at the 4135-530Kv motor, aside from a little bit of a higher Kv, this motor looks almost the same spec wise as the Xera 480.

As well their bigger motor, the 4530-500 seems to be very eagerly awaiting its release by the Goblin guys and has been getting really good feedback reports on those helo's (and I think on the HeliJives) of their pre-production units.

As well I just had some Pm's with a guy using their smallest motor the 4125-560 on a 12s Fusion 50 with a Jive 80. And with using it for what he said was about a 100 flights so far, he is giving it great reports for both power and efficiency and states that he is not even running it in KSA mode.

Anyway, all remains to be seen but I thought I would make a post to see if anyone could have a look at the specs on the 4135-530 motor and tell me any thoughts they might have.

Especially any thoughts they might have to as to how it might run on a TRex 700E FBL helo with the goal in mind of the best balance of power and efficiency?

Thanks for any help.

PS, am really not making this post to look for or start a whole thing over other motors to use, so I hope things can be kept on just the point on the opinions of this motor and in relation to the questions I posed.

Thanks
WBFAir is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
NRPY
Registered Users

None of our opinions are going to be worth much at this point. I think you're just going to have to try it for yourself and see if it meets your needs. If it's close spec-wise to the motor you want, give it a shot.
NRPY is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
sarah1097

Location: From Utah, transferred from u of u to u of washington

It almost seems that the stock motor you have is better then the biggest quantum motor. here are the specs,
●Input voltageC11.1V-50.4V
●Max continuous current:90A/150A(5sec)
●Max output power:4000W/6600W(5sec)
●KV value:510KV
●Stator Arms:12
●Magnet Poles:10
●Dimension: spindle Φ6xΦ52x57.5mm
●Weight: 405g (prox.)
now the quantum 4530 motor has max power of 5000 watts, which is a 1100 less then the mx motor, same magnet poles, same stator arms, weight is higher on the quantum at 556
the max continuous amps is 125 amps but the mx is 150. i am curious why you would go this route? If you look at the kde direct motor for the same price as the quantum then there is huge difference. Here are the specs to the kde 700 xf 495 kv max output is 10000 watts, almost 4000 above the mx and 5000 above the quantum. weight is 670 efficiency is 92% and can handle up to 16 cell instead of 12. If you want some power, this would be the way to go. Also the max volts is 67.2.
sarah1097 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
WBFAir
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1097 View Post
It almost seems that the stock motor you have is better then the biggest quantum motor. here are the specs,
●Input voltage[IMG]file:///C:/Users/WBF/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]C11.1V-50.4V
now the quantum 4530 motor has max power of 5000 watts, which is a 1100 less then the mx motor, same magnet poles, same stator arms, weight is higher on the quantum at 556
the max continuous amps is 125 amps but the mx is 150. i am curious why you would go this route? If you look at the kde direct motor for the same price as the quantum then there is huge difference. Here are the specs to the kde 700 xf 495 kv max output is 10000 watts, almost 4000 above the mx and 5000 above the quantum. weight is 670 efficiency is 92% and can handle up to 16 cell instead of 12. If you want some power, this would be the way to go. Also the max volts is 67.2.
Thanks for the thoughts and research Sarah.

Actually perhaps to go over this in a bit more detail, for me I am probably looking for a motor for different reasons them most in that finding one with the absolute most power is not what I am looking for.

In the simplest of terms what I mean is I want to have power but basically its more about efficient balance of power via what I actually need and not wasting more in that you can put a 10000 watt motor in there but even if you fly it very conservatively, that motor is going to use more power then one with less wattage so all that is going to do is just run your packs down sooner and if you don't need that, why do it?

Also with those KDE's and I don't know about the Nue's but basically with the XF's they talk about being developed around the Castle Controllers and even those old Nue's are basically Castle knock offs if you look at them and I am not trying to start any fights here but with all that Castle has done to this hobby and is still doing is why I went with a Kontroniks controller in the first place as I have no desire to play those kinds of games with $2,500 worth of my property.

And it is basically known that the K's are much more demanding of a motor which I see as a good thing as it means that I can't just run some bad and inefficient motor through one.

But basically this means you do have to run something good and those Nue's have to be run in KSA mode from what I have read to which to me is a sign of issues although I don't know about the XF's, but at any rate, those are too much power consuming for what I want anyway.

Also note the motor I was looking at with not the top one but the middle of the pack which is listed at about $200.00 and so far as been reported as not even needing KSA mode.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
rctazz
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1097 View Post
●Input voltageC11.1V-50.4V

Actually Sarah, The Max Continous Power of the 700MX is 4000 watts with a Peak power of 6600W. The Max continous power of the biggest Quantum motor, at 5000 watts, is 1000 watts MORE than the Align motor. They do not list the Peak power limitation but I bet it is on the order of 7000 to 9000 watts based on other motors in the class (KDE included). Even the might Scorpion 520LE lists a max continous power rating of 4450 watts with a peak of 9600 watts.

I am by no means advocating for the Quantum motors I only heard about them about 3 days ago, just saying the power ratings are in line with other motors in the class. There is only one motor I will get in the future (Actually two, one for each of my 90 size helis )

Last edited by rctazz; 03-15-2012 at 12:58 AM..
rctazz is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
sarah1097

Location: From Utah, transferred from u of u to u of washington

hmmm let me look at that.
sarah1097 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
WBFAir

My HF Map location

Hello Sarah, hope in no way this is seeming like any form of conflict and I'm hardly the authority on such things, but if you research a lot of the spec's on motors that are reported in the field to actually have much more power and performance then the stock Align units, you will see that they all have rather lower numbers.

For instance a good listing to look at for the Xera's is one from ReadyHeli's pdf list here: https://readyheli.com/assets/images/...data_sheet.pdf which on this you will see many motors that are well under 4000 watts but all are known to have more power then a stock Align unit.

Why this is I can't really say and am even oddly saying this as it may seem contradictory to my original post, but it probably is a lot to do with who knows what anyone may use as the benchmark or for testing methods that they use to come up with things.

For instance I know from a lot of research one of the toughest things to research just by the numbers is servos as those numbers are all over the place and for instance I know Futabas are always listed way under the numbers that others give, but still the are known to perform much better in actual use.

So just going by the numbers alone can be a tough way to decided on what to use.

Anyway, hope that is of agreeable reply.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
WBFAir

My HF Map location

Yeah, don't mean to place any undue load on anyone and for sure, it would all be taken as speculation.

Just thought I would check as I am hardly an expert to see if anyone after taking a look at the motor info might have some thoughts from knowing more about such things.

Or who knows, maybe they would pick up on something an say, because of xyz, that's not a good pick for this helo.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
edsel.labao
Registered Users

Sorry, this was all done with the castle 160 HV.

My RC facebook and Youtube Page (please subscribe to get latest news and video):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
edsel.labao is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
WBFAir

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomtt View Post
Sorry, this was all done with the castle 160 HV.
NP at all, just thought I would ask.

I know its a bit to ask but if you ever get a chance, would be neat to see the CC log on it.

Think I have seen some from the JLog from Jives, but not sure if anyone else has published anything yet via a CC HV160.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
edsel.labao
Registered Users

Here is the Xera and Quantum side by side pics.

Like I mentioned, the Quantum is performing as well if not a little better in power than the Xera. I will know more once I get more flights on it. I did most of the flying in the Las Vegas funfly and with the small airspace and unfamiliar field, I was not super comfortable going all out. But I am liking the motor!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	299511   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	299512  

My RC facebook and Youtube Page (please subscribe to get latest news and video):

edsel.labao is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
WBFAir

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomtt View Post
Here is the Xera and Quantum side by side pics.

Like I mentioned, the Quantum is performing as well if not a little better in power than the Xera. I will know more once I get more flights on it. I did most of the flying in the Las Vegas funfly and with the small airspace and unfamiliar field, I was not super comfortable going all out. But I am liking the motor!
Great, thanks for the info and the pic's zoomtt

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.