Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Old 01-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
QYT001
Registered Users

Default How to choose Gimbal Stick Ends?

How to choose the Gimbal Stick Ends for the radio? I saw some other sizes in additions to the stock one. Is there some rules for that?

QYT001 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Slyster
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good question. I went to ebay and got the prickliest ones I could find.. since I thumb I thought that would work best? I'd like to hear what others think or have found.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
frogbmth
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Its down to what you find comfortable and used to. I have been using the rotorworks stick bling for a couple of years and love them, but when I hand my radio to others they are like WTF. We are all different

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
frogbmth is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
Creaky Cactus
HF Support

I fly thumbs and like the pointiest that I can find. I've been using the HobbyKing ones and they are working well for me (cheap too at $5.88 per pair)

Futaba
JR/Spektrum

Blade (mCX, CX2, mSR, mCP X, mCPX BL, Nano QX, 400) * T-Rex (450SE2, 600E) * DX7 * Phoenix v5.0.r
Helis wrecked while-U-wait since 2008-05-27
Creaky Cactus is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
docrhino
Registered Users

Here's one you might like to try. I've been tweaking everything this winter and I've never liked the feel of the sticks. For one, their too high for my liking and won't adjust low enough. So I took a cut off wheel and cut about 3mm from the bottom and about 2mm off the top and cut notches back in. I still didn't like the feel and had a brainstorm. You can buy, at any hardware store, rubber electrical tape. AKA splicing tape. This isn't vinyl tape. It has no adhesive, rubber will adhere to itself. You stretch it and wrap it around itself. anyway, 5 or 6 turns and I have a wider softer and sticker stick. I hope you can see the image well enough it's as good as I can get it. Something to try.
Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tx sticks 004.jpg
Views:	936
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	136739  
docrhino is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
Slyster
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cool Cactus! I ordered a set.. the blue pointy ones... from Hobby City.. the item was so light it was only $2.99 air mail shipping.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9889

Last edited by Slyster; 01-30-2010 at 04:16 AM..
Slyster is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:46 AM   #7
Heli G
Registered Users

I have tried a few and have settled on the Xtreme Accessory Aluminum Control Sticks. They have an indent which has a comfortable feel in addition to providing a positive grip. Itís a personal preference thing and the prison lingo phrase ďone manís like is anotherís pain the in assĒ comes to mind.

Heli G is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:15 AM   #8
Slyster
Registered Users

My HF Map location

link?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #9
Mentalic
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Timely thread, I'm looking for some with a bit bigger tip and more grippers and I like the looks of those gold ones. Found the site but it looks like they do not have a JR or Spectrum version?

http://www.xtreme-production.com/xtr...mart&Itemid=31
Mentalic is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
Sonic_BOOMER_SOONER
Registered Users

This post has a picture of some bling gimbles I picked up a local shop for $15 that really take the stress off for pinch fliers and work well for thumbers as well.

http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=12

Here's another thread: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....ighlight=pinch

Last edited by Sonic_BOOMER_SOONER; 01-30-2010 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Added another thread
Sonic_BOOMER_SOONER is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
RobertP70
Registered Users

I've stuck the rubber skid protector things on the end of my futaba sticks and I love it. they feel really grippy and just right in my sausage fingers.:o
RobertP70 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #12
QYT001
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm personally filling, that more I practice myself with flying, then more I realise, that the gimbal stick ends should be longer, because the pirouettes are done more precisely in this case, also I have to increase the speed of stick motion. I can't increase the gimbal stick ends endlessly, I come to another limit caused by the lenght of my fingers, when I start to move my hands, but not just fingers and the flying become even worse.
I understand that the people can get used to any lenth of stick, but in the certain period of time you just feel that something is not that good and you can get better results.
Therefore I raised this question, I really need to know how to properly adjust the lenght instead of spending the time and re-training myself to the new lenght of the gimbal stick ends.
QYT001 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
Mentalic
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just orderd a set of the Rotorworkz type. Could not find any similar to the extreme accessory type to fit JR. Don't want the small area sharp pointy type since I tend to bore a whole in my thumbs already!

I prefer a bit longer stick to reduce the spring load on my thumbs while having the springs tight enough that the sticks still center well. Longer sticks also help dampen out that shaky thumb action too.
Mentalic is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
Kustomkid
Registered Users

I just bought a transmitter tray from Madison trays and they sell knobs also. I was using both thumbs but want to change over to pinching on the right hand. I haven't got to try them out as we still have snow here but like the feel of a larger knob. My came and there glossy blue. There not cheap either.

http://www.qualityrcproducts.com/pro...tterknobs.html
Kustomkid is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #15
Nuclear Dave
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrhino View Post
Here's one you might like to try. I've been tweaking everything this winter and I've never liked the feel of the sticks. For one, their too high for my liking and won't adjust low enough. So I took a cut off wheel and cut about 3mm from the bottom and about 2mm off the top and cut notches back in. I still didn't like the feel and had a brainstorm. You can buy, at any hardware store, rubber electrical tape. AKA splicing tape. This isn't vinyl tape. It has no adhesive, rubber will adhere to itself. You stretch it and wrap it around itself. anyway, 5 or 6 turns and I have a wider softer and sticker stick. I hope you can see the image well enough it's as good as I can get it. Something to try.
Doc
Thank you for the idea. I just completed mine and it has a great feel to it. I can't believe I didn't think of that myself.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:18 AM   #16
Santini
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli G View Post
I have tried a few and have settled on the Xtreme Accessory Aluminum Control Sticks. They have an indent which has a comfortable feel in addition to providing a positive grip. Itís a personal preference thing and the prison lingo phrase ďone manís like is anotherís pain the in assĒ comes to mind.
I have been using these for a couple of years and they are great. They have a great feel, nice grippy top. I like the width of the wider tops, makes it easy to get the stick over quickly. I recently put my std futaba tips back on to see if I'd miss them, but I switch these back on. Helidirect has them.

search on "Aluminum Control Stick" in the site.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:41 AM   #17
radiobirdman
Registered Users

I have shortish fingers and always found the sticks a bit of a stretch, happened to have a busted PS2 controller and flogged the pads off it.

Have really only tried it on the sim but find it much easier to reach all positions. Is also a lot quicker. Haven't had any trouble with my thumbs slipping off them and my flying looks and feels smoother.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dx7mod.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	137009  
radiobirdman is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:25 AM   #18
ttruttmann
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm using a spare pair of Thunder Tiger rubber skid dampers slid over the end of the stock gimbals. A buddy at my field showed me this.

The dampers make the sticks larger and are grippy enough for pinch flying. Also, by sliding them up or down you can create a concave upper surface for thumb flying...cheap and easy

http://www.eboyztoyz.net/index.php?op=showitem&sku=8208
- FBL UH-1 Huey | Thunder Tiger kit with RJX head & Skookum 720 - Current project
- JR 9303 TX
ttruttmann is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #19
Nuclear Dave
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiobirdman View Post
I have shortish fingers and always found the sticks a bit of a stretch, happened to have a busted PS2 controller and flogged the pads off it.

Have really only tried it on the sim but find it much easier to reach all positions. Is also a lot quicker. Haven't had any trouble with my thumbs slipping off them and my flying looks and feels smoother.
LOL what better way to cross the Tx to a PS2 than having those ends on it. Thats a very cool upgrade. Did the grips just screw on or did you have to modify it somehow?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:23 PM   #20
Santini
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiobirdman View Post
I Have really only tried it on the sim but find it much easier to reach all positions. Is also a lot quicker. Haven't had any trouble with my thumbs slipping off them and my flying looks and feels smoother.
I think you said it better than i did, in that with a wide top, you can reach all positions easier, I agree, short fingers or not.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please