Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Large Scale

Large Scale Large Scale Discussion

Old 07-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Wolferz
Registered Users

Default Vario Gasser project

Hello everyone.

It is time for me to step up to a large scale gas heli. I have decided on the Agusta A-109 as the fuse. Vario makes a very nice one here: http://us.vario-helicopter.biz/shop/...ducts_id=36435 However, I am always open to alternatives... especially when they are cheaper! I heard about the Thunder Tiger Agusta A109 though slightly smaller, can it handle gas or only nitro?

For theoretical purposes, say I get the Vario. It recommends specific mechanics and engine, but I have used other equipment on electrics and had better results. Are there any suggestions for mechanics?

I will have a four-blade flybarless head on this model with a Skookum SK-720. I was thinking of getting the Eagle Tree telemetry system with the gps module as well. I have been unable to find better systems other than the Helicommand Pro with GPS and that exceeds my budget. Any recommendations here?

Vario of course recommends a Vario mechanics set http://us.vario-helicopter.biz/shop/...ducts_id=33083 with 87:21 ratio. I am putting slightly larger blades on the head for a little slower rpm and more stability, should I stick with the 87:21? Would the 90:18 be disastrous?

With the retracts, lighting, and everything else, I will need a bigger radio. I have been looking at the Aurora 9, the JR 9503, and the JR 11x. I know there are a lot of others, but feedback in this department would be appreciated. (currently use Walkera 2801 and 2602 radios.)

Feel free to throw any other suggestions out there. I know some would say buy a large pod and boom, but I have flown scale for several years and while the biggest I've flown is 600 class electric, I would never lift it off the ground if it didn't have a scale fuse.

Thanks!

Wolf

Last edited by Wolferz; 07-16-2010 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: struck wrong key when typing largest scale flown
Wolferz is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Rodan
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My suggestion would be to progress a little more slowly and build a 50/600 size heli before getting into a large project. There is a learning curve with scale (as much with building as flying), and with larger machines the end result of small mistakes can be exponentially more expensive. Just price a blade set for standard 600mm blades, and then the Vario blades for a large heli.

The TT A109 could be built with stretched TRex 600 or maybe TRex 700 mechanics, and I would stick with electric. The sound is more scale, and you don't have to worry about tuning a motor or making sure paint and details are fuel proof. Not to mention it's much cleaner and hassle free. TRex mechs mean cheap and plentiful parts, and lots of experienced advice here on the forums.
F550 Hexacopter
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Rodan is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Wolferz
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have a 600 airwolf, I have several 450s. I want to get into gas, I am getting the jewel generator, and large tank. I do not know of any electric that can fly for 2 or 3 hours. I appreciate the concern, but it is time to move up.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
Rodan
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK, you said the biggest you'd flown was a 500...

If you've already built 600 size scalers, why not?

Just take things slowly, and research every step. I'd still go electric (I am)...

For your other questions, I've had excellent results with the SK360, and am considering the SK720 for my big 500. I'm currently flying with a JR X9303, but if you're going to spend the $$ on a radio, the 11X is a pretty good deal, as the 12ch radios are much more expensive.
F550 Hexacopter
Old 07-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Wolferz
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I would not mind staying electric. I do love them. And if I get the Thunder Tiger A-109 it is slightly smaller... But how in the world am I going to get 2+ hours on a brushless?

I struck the wrong key and did not proofread before submission. Sorry for the confusion!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Rodan
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You're definitely not going to get 2hrs on electric, but I can't see getting that with gas, either. Not that I could imagine maintaining the concentration necessary for flying for that long!

I've had a couple of gas planes that could probably fly for over 30min, but never flew for more than 12-15min at a time....

I'm perfectly happy with the 8min I can easily get with an E-scaler.
F550 Hexacopter
Old 05-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
JaredJ
Registered Users

How's this going? Did you ever finish it?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
scanner62
Registered Users

Yeah, like Jared asked (ive got the same interest)...hows it going and what did you decide on? pics,pics....please.
Thank you
scanner62
scanner62 is offline        Reply With Quote

Tags
agusta, gas, scale, skookum, vario

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Large Scale

Large Scale Large Scale Discussion