Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories


KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories Factory Support Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #61
slamdance
Registered Users
 
Posts: 107
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Default I have installed this upgrade, and no more notchy bearings

I do a lot of flip exercises on my trex 500, and without these thrust bearings the radial bearings will be gone after about 50 flights. I don't crash much(knock on wood), but angular slop becomes a real issue. No more worn radial bearings after this upgrade. However, I do pull the bearings and regrease after about 150 flights(3 weeks for me), because of grease loss and dirt/contamination. It's very easy to "chase" the bearings out with a spare shaft.
slamdance is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #62
williamhorton
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: savannah, ga
Default

Do the KDE upgrades strengthen the frame enough to make it more durable in a crash? Do the KDE parts, especially, the bottom frame support bend easily in a crash? I nosed it in and had to replace the frames because they cracked. I figure if the frame is ridgid enough, it will withstand some abuse. I also had to replace the bottom frame support. The frames cracked where the battery support tray is and where the motor mount is.
williamhorton is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #63
Lighty
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhorton View Post
Do the KDE upgrades strengthen the frame enough to make it more durable in a crash? Do the KDE parts, especially, the bottom frame support bend easily in a crash? I nosed it in and had to replace the frames because they cracked. I figure if the frame is ridgid enough, it will withstand some abuse. I also had to replace the bottom frame support. The frames cracked where the battery support tray is and where the motor mount is.
Looking at buying the main block bearings and the bottom plate, is it worth it or is it purely for cosmetic reason the bottom plate that is?

cheers
__________________
/ 7HV - 7HVN 6HV - WARP 360 - FURY 55 ALL ON VX1e
Lighty is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #64
joshd
Registered Users
 
Posts: 88
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: melbourne,australia
Default

that kde direct upgrade kit looks great , but honestly , 165 bucks (US$) so about 10 dollars Aussie ) sorry could not help the dig .. anyway thats a lot of money when compared to simular products i get from ebay such as
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tarot-Met...ht_1649wt_1111

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160692938...ht_1544wt_1111

i always try and support local industry and i assume Americans do but there is no local manufacuring left in Australia as nobody wants to work for 20 cents a day like the chinese.

i will buy a few products to check them out as i love a new product , you really need to maybe get the price down ? by the way we have here a aliminium smelter Alcoa ,not far from here (melbourne Australia) it is constantly on the news trying to survive and not getting shut down and going off shore . i assume you have the same issues , do you make these products in USA.

I have no Doubt the quality would be better ,
Josh
joshd is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #65
Turttle
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,034
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ca
Default

Yeah kde set ups are on the heavy side lol but the power is sure there.But any way I like the ideal of the bearing blocks but honestly Imo I think a one peice bearing block even though it may add an ounce is the way to go.One peice just make things that much stronger and durable with no flexing of the carbon fiber frame.Or limited by quite a bit.I run the helioption they are light and have been great I just think its a better design to run a one peice block............Hint hint
__________________
Northern California RC Unlimited RC Flyers.
www.ashcreekrcflyers.com
Turttle is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #66
nbells
Registered Users
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Scotland
Default

I got the bearings for the 500 pro and now one of them sounds like its rumbeling a bit .... can I purchase the bearings or do I have to renew the block as well ?
__________________
Nigel.
A few little tiddlers ..SR, 300X, TRex 500E Pro with DFC, Trex 700DFC..... and quite a few Planks and Tanks !
nbells is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #67
taoY
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,479
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA
Default

If by rumbling you mean the bearing is not smooth then you can just replace the bearings. http://www.kdedirect.com/BearingsandFasteners.html
__________________
Cheater
taoY is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #68
PharmD
Registered Users
 
Posts: 124
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Hope, AL
Question

OK, so I have one of the metal bottom frame plates. The landing gear screw broke off in the hole and I can't grab it with anything. Being so small, it's tough to get out. How can I get the broken screw out without damaging he threads inside the hole? Thanks for your time.
__________________
T-Rex 500E
Scorpion HK-3026-1600KV
CC Edge 75, CC-BEC 10A
Hitec 5245MG x3, Futaba S9257, Mavrikk G5 FBL Blades, Microbeast, RJX FBL500 Head
PharmD is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #69
KDE Direct
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,286
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington, U.S.A.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmD View Post
OK, so I have one of the metal bottom frame plates. The landing gear screw broke off in the hole and I can't grab it with anything. Being so small, it's tough to get out. How can I get the broken screw out without damaging he threads inside the hole? Thanks for your time.
That is tough - I'm not always successful trying to do this, but your best friend is heat in this case. Try heating the Aluminum with a torch to expand the material and relax the threads (and any threadlocker) and then I usually try and machine a small slot (with a Dremel cut-off wheel, the ultra-thin kind) into the screw and then use a tiny flat-head screwdriver to back it out. Not always easy and usually not successful, but from time-to-time, I get lucky.

The other option is to drill it out with a 2.0mm drill, retap this to M2.5, and then use M2.5 screws to bolt on the landing gear. Won't work by hand-drilling this, as the drill will want to walk into the aluminum rather than the steel of the broken screw, so you'll need to use a drill-press or mill typically to get it done properly.

After all this, we do offer our standard 30% crash-replacement discount on a new item if you need to replace the piece. Feel free to contact us at sales@kdedirect.com and we'll get you taken care of.
__________________
-- KDE Direct, Inc. --
KDE Direct is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #70
PharmD
Registered Users
 
Posts: 124
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Hope, AL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDE Direct View Post
That is tough - I'm not always successful trying to do this, but your best friend is heat in this case. Try heating the Aluminum with a torch to expand the material and relax the threads (and any threadlocker) and then I usually try and machine a small slot (with a Dremel cut-off wheel, the ultra-thin kind) into the screw and then use a tiny flat-head screwdriver to back it out. Not always easy and usually not successful, but from time-to-time, I get lucky.

The other option is to drill it out with a 2.0mm drill, retap this to M2.5, and then use M2.5 screws to bolt on the landing gear. Won't work by hand-drilling this, as the drill will want to walk into the aluminum rather than the steel of the broken screw, so you'll need to use a drill-press or mill typically to get it done properly.

After all this, we do offer our standard 30% crash-replacement discount on a new item if you need to replace the piece. Feel free to contact us at sales@kdedirect.com and we'll get you taken care of.
OK. I'll definitely try it. The slot sounds like my best bet. Thanks. I'll keep the discount in mind if I don't have any luck.
__________________
T-Rex 500E
Scorpion HK-3026-1600KV
CC Edge 75, CC-BEC 10A
Hitec 5245MG x3, Futaba S9257, Mavrikk G5 FBL Blades, Microbeast, RJX FBL500 Head
PharmD is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories


KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories Factory Support Forum

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2011 - William James - Helifreak.com