Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Avant RC - Mostro & Aurora

Avant RC - Mostro & Aurora Avant Mostro, Aurora, Electric eAurora, RigidCore Flybarless Head, Avant EFX and Avant FX Helicopter Support

Old 04-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
JesusFreak
Registered Users

Default Optimum Battery Size for eAurora

What batteries are you guys with Aurora Es running?

What's the optimum size for mild 3D and good run times?

Thanks!
JesusFreak is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
rctazz
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not sure what the optimum size is, I think a lot of people run 4400- 4500 mah batteries.

I run 5100mah 45C Voltz batteries and Gens Ace 5300mah batteries. The Voltz have to be as far back as I can get them to balance the Heli but the Gens Ace batteries can be moved forward slightly. The Avant is fast with these batteries, I'm probably losing a tiny bit of pop using a slightly heavier battery but I don't notice.
rctazz is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
Jason Bell
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It all depends on flying styles and set up's. Myself I run 5000 mAh packs with a Scorpion 4525-520LE, and can squeeze out 4 min depending on how hard I push the heli. I have seen others get 5+ minutes on 4400's flying mild 3D, and FF..there is also a physical size limitation on the Aurora of what batteries will fit without hitting the canopy, which is posted on the Avant Forums. You can view this if you are a member of the forums.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Representing: Team Avant, A Main Hobbies, YS Engines, Scorpion Power Systems, Optipower, Spektrum RC, Castle Creations, Insane Canopy
Jason Bell is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
JesusFreak
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Jason. I picked up two turnigy nano 4400 packs. They are 45c to 90 c. And quite hefty. I'm just a sport / mild 3d flyer. So five mins would be fine. Don't want to get too heavy.
JesusFreak is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
feudallordcult
Registered Users

Apologies in advance for hijacking. I have 16 pack of 3s5000mah 45c which I pair in series to make it 6s5000mah for the rex600. ANy chance if I may pair two pairs of 6s5000 to make it 12s5000 to fly this baby? I m v worried of the internal resistance. I m using 6mm conectors btw. Many thanks for any advice rendered. Grateful.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Jason Bell
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudallordcult View Post
Apologies in advance for hijacking. I have 16 pack of 3s5000mah 45c which I pair in series to make it 6s5000mah for the rex600. ANy chance if I may pair two pairs of 6s5000 to make it 12s5000 to fly this baby? I m v worried of the internal resistance. I m using 6mm conectors btw. Many thanks for any advice rendered. Grateful.
My main concern would be with how those packs behave separately, if they are around the same age, and have been discharged similarly through the life, I don't see this being an issue. Keep the wires short with the series connections and you should be good to go!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Representing: Team Avant, A Main Hobbies, YS Engines, Scorpion Power Systems, Optipower, Spektrum RC, Castle Creations, Insane Canopy
Old 06-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
mrparadox
Registered Users

I Just ordered 2 pairs of nano techs 4000mah 6s for my avant E.
They fit fine but look to be a little small/light. Hope this are not to light for the avant. When in the front space of the battery compartment heli looks to be in balance. Have not fly them yet...

any one who already did/try?
are 4500 nano's a better choose?
mrparadox is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
feudallordcult
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bell View Post
My main concern would be with how those packs behave separately, if they are around the same age, and have been discharged similarly through the life, I don't see this being an issue. Keep the wires short with the series connections and you should be good to go!
Hiya Jason, many thanks for the advice. Grateful.

Wow! Jason Bell reverting to my query...

Yeah, I m a lil concerned about the internal resistance of the lipos as well. The series-connection cable that I m using is already pretty short (prob 100mm) I was actually contemplating to do without the cable and to connect the batts directly. I just can't wait to get my lil hands on the aurora, it just oozes class...
Old 06-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Justin Stuart
Registered Users

I personally prefer a lighter helicopter, and so I choose the ThunderPower 4400mAh packs. By my calculations, you save about 16 ounces (one full pound) by using the smaller pack.

There is a law of diminishing returns with larger and/or smaller battery packs. Using larger packs, the helicopter weighs more, and so you consume more milliamps per minute--but since your packs are larger you have more milliamps to burn. Using smaller packs, the helicopter weighs less, so you consume fewer milliamps per minute--but since your packs are smaller you have less milliamps to burn. So when it comes to flight times, it's almost a tie.

Which battery size is better? There are arguments either way. On windy days a lighter helicopter is better. On calm days a lighter helicopter is better. And on and on....

But one thing is for certain: When you're trying to autorotate an identical helicopter with identical blades, but one helicopter weighs 16 ounces more than the other, the lighter helicopter will hang longer. This is why I prefer to use the smaller batteries.

But to each is own...
Kontronik Drives
Justin Stuart is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
mrparadox
Registered Users

oke don't buy the nano's 4000mah for the avant, they are to light (weight). Power is not the problem, got a lot of pop!

Can't get the hell balanced, it has to short weight in the front, and i can't move them more to the front.
gonna need to buy heaver one's.

i'll give the turnigy 5000 25c a try
Old 06-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #11
questerng
Registered Users

I'm running the nanotec 5000mah.. 45C-90C..

I've push it all the way to the front.. It's still tail heavy..

Am I the only one that has this problem or I've not done something right

quest
Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #12
mrparadox
Registered Users

that's strange...
i gonna buy the turnigy 50006s 25c, they are almost the same weight as your nano's.
Hope they will balance right?

Does anybody use this lipo's in the avant?
with the 4000 nano'c it's almost in possible to fly
Old 07-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
mrparadox
Registered Users

i got the 5000 25c turnigy lipo's and they fit perfect. Little tight but the upper en lower part are vertical so when they puff a little it will still fit (i hope)

Balanced perfect (just put them in the most fronted position)
Fore normal flying i think they are great and cheap (around $130,- a pair)
Old 07-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
Jason Bell
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For battery slot sizes see this thread in Avant RC

http://www.avantrc.com/support/showthread.php?t=1203

Quote:
The dimensions for the battery slots are:
Right frame opening: 214.44mm x 51.65mm
Left frame opening: 174.43mm x 51.65mm

As far as height the pack can be up to 60mm high. Here's the explanation:

The front spacing between the canopy and the pack at the closest point toward the nose is 60mm for the maximum height of the pack

Old 07-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #15
Stevin
Registered Users

I have turnigys and although the dimension of the actual battery fits fine, the leads are soldered so that the wires petrude a bit higher then the battery. Is there a mod to make this work, would you try and bend the wires? or maybe make a notch in the frame?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #16
Justin Stuart
Registered Users

Quote:
I have turnigys and although the dimension of the actual battery fits fine, the leads are soldered so that the wires petrude a bit higher then the battery. Is there a mod to make this work, would you try and bend the wires? or maybe make a notch in the frame?
I bought a pair of those Turnigy batteries for my e-Aurora a long time ago. In order to make them fit in the frames, I had to take the batteries apart and resolder the leads on the end of the battery rather than on the top. This worked well, but it certainly wasn't easy to redo the solder joint to such a large gauge wire. I needed to buy a 40W soldering iron specific for this task. I also had to buy a bunch more shrink wrap. You're not going to be able to bend the leads without breaking them. There is a little circuit board inside the battery shrink wrap, and if you put pressure on it, you will damage the circuit board. I've seen people make a little half-circle notch in the e-Aurora frame to fit the soldered leads, but this weakens the frame which is not recommended. I don't know if the batteries you bought are square or rectangular, but rotating them 90 degrees might allow the battery to fit without the need for modification to the battery or to the frame.
Kontronik Drives
Old 07-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #17
Stevin
Registered Users

I tried rotating the battery but that side is larger and doesnt allow the battery into the framer. I like the idea of cutting out a notch, its either that or make the entire width larger so the battery can be turned 90 degrees
Old 09-28-2012, 05:21 AM   #18
Stevin
Registered Users

quite a few post of guys buying the nantechs. I just wondering how those batteries are doing because I have not had good luck with the nano's. Mine have puffed at around 15-20 flights
Old 03-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
skunkworx
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry to dig up a dinosaur, but I'm at a fork in the road over pack size right now. I have Gens 5300's which work great, but are just simply not going to fit well enough for my liking. I realize I can run higher headspeeds with them and retain a lot of flight time, but I think I'm happier with lower rpm for now and lighter packs. I tried Turnigy 5000 25C's and they were pretty tough to get in and out of the machine but the weigh seemed nice and had more than enough power for my kind of flying.

Anyway, I've been eyeing the TP packs in the 4400-5000 range and also Pulse 4400-4500's. Has anyone checked these to see how they balance? I'd prefer to stay upwards of 4600-5000 if I can since they would give me the same flight times but I want them to fit under the lid too. Darn canopy is hard enough to don/doff as it is!!! Any words of wisdom would be great. Also, any other brands to consider would be nice too. I'm not terribly shy about experimenting but I also like the idea of only needing one pair which is why I was considering the TP's to begin with.
--Si vis pacem, para bellum--
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
Justin Stuart
Registered Users

Still flying TP 4400mAh packs here.
Kontronik Drives

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Avant RC - Mostro & Aurora

Avant RC - Mostro & Aurora Avant Mostro, Aurora, Electric eAurora, RigidCore Flybarless Head, Avant EFX and Avant FX Helicopter Support