START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info

Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
bostonkiter
Registered Users

Default EL Tape Usage

I've been researching the feasibility of using EL tape for a night rig. It's certainly more expensive than LEDs, but the end result will likely be amazing. Is there anyone with EL experience with this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bostonkiter is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
kavic5150
Registered Users

I've worked with it, fun stuff. The big hurdle is getting a driver that has a high enough frequency. I dont have a meter to measure, but the ones I'm using are rated for 2000hz. The higher the better up to a point.

El wires and el panels are capacitors, they get brighter the more you raise their AC supply voltage/frequency, but only up to a point. I understand that changing the frequency does alter the color output but only slightly.

Heres a good thread on the subject: http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=403394

Be careful working with the stuff, it can give a nasty little shock. Ask me how I know.

I just wish I had a source for those little press to fit connectors. Allelectronics.com used to include them with el strips, but last time I checked they only had small el panels.

kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #3
Timtreo
Registered Users

Here is the DX7 I got from you bostonk with an EL panel with a on/off toggle switch. A heli all done up with EL panels and strips would look pretty cool.
Right on Kavic about the shocks , woke me up a little . The inverter I used was pretty big, I had to really cram it in there but nothing a heli couldn't carry. I got the panel from Glowhut but yeah I don't think they sell the panel/strip connectors either. I have a big piece left over from what I cut for the Tx that I would like to use on something but know idea how to power it without some kind of connector plug?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DX7.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	366586  
Old 11-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
kavic5150
Registered Users

Heres some of the best off the shelf drivers that I know of.

http://www.glowire.com/drivers.htm

If you can manage a 9v power supply the F2 driver is ideal. Without too much trouble it can be de-shelled and will easily power a canopy striped up with el ribbon. For anything larger than a 450 you might want to use 2. I'm thinking a small 3s LiFe pack would be perfect for the job. The F2 driver will handle a bit of over voltage, I cranked mine up to 11.5v once. The panels did get a bit brighter.

Remember to never power up an el driver without an el wire/panel attached, it will fry rather quickly.

Also look out for any driver than has been potted (filled with plastic resin). They are bulky and add too much weight IMHO.

kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info