Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives


Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
McCollister911
Registered Users
 
Posts: 960
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bossier City LA
Default Jive 120 and scorpion backup guard

Has anyone tried this setup yet. It's a 500mah 2s lipo that outputs 5v incase of a bec shutdown. Sounds like a good alternative to nimh packs and only weighs 38gr. Has a peak of 10 amps which is comparable to the best nimh/nicd packs. Looks better too. Does anyone see an issue or possible issues this could have running in place of the buffer?
McCollister911 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
desertstalker
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCollister911 View Post
Has anyone tried this setup yet. It's a 500mah 2s lipo that outputs 5v incase of a bec shutdown. Sounds like a good alternative to nimh packs and only weighs 38gr. Has a peak of 10 amps which is comparable to the best nimh/nicd packs. Looks better too. Does anyone see an issue or possible issues this could have running in place of the buffer?
No reason it wouldnt work, but you need to charge it separately.
__________________
-DX8
-MSH MiniProtos Stretched, SK720, DS95/DS95i, Hyp 4S 25C 2500mAh
-MSH Protos Stretched, Brain, Hyp DS16/BLS251, 6S 3000mAh
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Dr.Ben
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Default

The only downside to it, and they even warn you in its instructions, is it is yet another lipo for your fleet that should not be kept at full charge when not in use.

Ben Minor
Dr.Ben is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
desertstalker
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Ben View Post
The only downside to it, and they even warn you in its instructions, is it is yet another lipo for your fleet that should not be kept at full charge when not in use.

Ben Minor
Stupid really, they should have used a LiFe pack.
__________________
-DX8
-MSH MiniProtos Stretched, SK720, DS95/DS95i, Hyp 4S 25C 2500mAh
-MSH Protos Stretched, Brain, Hyp DS16/BLS251, 6S 3000mAh
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Dr.Ben
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Default

I'm sure they were going for the lightest weight possible, but I would have gladly given up just a little to have it use a LiFe.

Ben Minor
Dr.Ben is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
czynot
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,139
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: nyc
Default

which LiFe pack is good to use?

Genace LiFe look like only 1C constant and 10C bust.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-life-1c-1100-2s1p.html

What LiFe packs would you guys recommend. Looking for something light weight.
czynot is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
desertstalker
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by czynot View Post
which LiFe pack is good to use?

Genace LiFe look like only 1C constant and 10C bust.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-life-1c-1100-2s1p.html

What LiFe packs would you guys recommend. Looking for something light weight.
You cant use a LiFe pack with a Jive, the BEC voltage is too low. If you want a buffer pack it needs to be 4cell Ni.

The Kosmic can use LiFe, you just need to set the BEC to the right voltage (IIRC 7.2V).
__________________
-DX8
-MSH MiniProtos Stretched, SK720, DS95/DS95i, Hyp 4S 25C 2500mAh
-MSH Protos Stretched, Brain, Hyp DS16/BLS251, 6S 3000mAh
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
czynot
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,139
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: nyc
Default

Anyone can suggest a backup pack that is light and not lipo? I dont want lipo. I dont fly often enough to use lipo.
czynot is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
CACN
Registered Users
 
Posts: 935
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by czynot View Post
Anyone can suggest a backup pack that is light and not lipo? I dont want lipo. I dont fly often enough to use lipo.
I use these as a buffer pack to my Helijive 120. 4 AAA 800mah Sanyo eneloop.

http://store.batteriesamerica.com/sa...lenotinus.aspx
__________________
Calvin
Henseleit TDR / Minicopter Diabolo S / Align Trex 550 / Hirobo SRB Quark
CACN is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
Magneto
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,672
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Default

I dont think the scorp backup is a good idea on a K product after you add a switch and this device you are opening yourself up to failure if anything goes wrong with the pack or the device it could spike, burn or put a load on the bec and it will shut down to protect it self or destroy it, The best thing you can do for a back up is a fromeco DC up no switches or batteries and will give you enough juice for an auto the same as any backup or buffer.

Last edited by Magneto; 10-12-2012 at 03:00 PM..
Magneto is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
Greg Alderman
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,248
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Muncie, IN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
I dont think the scorp backup is a good idea on a K product after you add a switch and this device you are opening yourself up to failure if anything goes wrong with the pack or the device it could spike, burn or put a load on the bec and it will shut down to protect it self or destroy it, The best thing you can do for a back up is a fromeco DC up no switches or batteries and will give you enough juice for an auto the same as any backup or buffer.

I believe this is what Magneto is talking about from Fromeco....I plan on getting a couple to try out soon.

http://www.fromeco.org/Products/05FRCDCUPM2/
__________________
Greg Alderman
Manager, Prestige RC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kontronik USA Service

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Greg Alderman is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #12
mrparadox
Registered Users
 
Posts: 47
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nederland
Default

I run the Scorpion backupguard with my jive 80HV.
Works great. And happy i had it.
(don't forget to switch it on ofcourse)

Lost one battery in flight Avant aurora duo a velcron failure and i could autorotate it safely! without Backupguard i would be completely set back for control. Because al the eletcornics are powered by the jive on the 2 main lipo's!

So works great in my opinion
Ofcourse a normal 4 cell bufferpack is also an option. But thsi one is small and has an on and off switch + some led what can telle you if you have to put it on the charger.
mrparadox is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
Carapau
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,663
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Yorkshire
Default

Guys, just be careful about the DC UP. I have one and it doesn't hold a charge long enough to do an auto on. I reckon I get about 5-10 secs use of it before my Vbar turns off and that is whilst static on a table- you will get a lot less from it if airborne and your FBL unit is making constant corrections. What the DC UP is good for is for maintaining a constant min voltage. For example, my Fusion had 2 back to back horrific crashes caused by my Align servos producing back EMFs as I understood it, the DC UP would have prevented it.
__________________
Rush 750, Fusion 50, Mini Protos Stretch 6S, Trex 450 Pro 6s, Skyjib 8HL, Jeti DS-16. DX8, Vbar or DJI
Carapau is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives


Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2011 - William James - Helifreak.com