Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #21 (permalink)
Bri
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobiemario View Post
We need that, some kind of guide of what to learn in what order.
I am flying in forward circles, looking for next step.

Slyster has posted the below in other threads and I can see how one would progress sticking to the syllabus.

And here is your course syllabus:

1. All upright hover orientations
a. tail in
b. right side
c. left side
d. nose in

2. Slow pirouettes
a. clockwise
b. counterclockwise

3. FF upright circuits (and figure 8's)- both directions
a. figure 8’s turning away
b. figure 8’s turning in
c. clockwise circuit
d. counterclockwise circuit

4. FF loops and rolls
a. FF loop left to right
b. FF loop right to left
c. FF loop going away
d. FF loop nose in
e. FF roll left to right
f. FF roll right to left
g. FF roll going away
h. FF roll nose in

5. Stationary flips and rolls
a. single tail in flip
b. single left side flip
c. single right side flip
d. single nose in flip
e. single tail in roll
f. single left side roll
g. single right side roll
h. single nose in roll
i. continuous tail in flips
j. continuous left side flips
k. continuous right side flips
l. continuous nose in flips
m. continuous tail in rolls
n. continuous left side rolls
o. continuous right side rolls
p. continuous nose in rolls

6. Reverse flight upright circuits (and figure 8's)
a. reverse figure 8’s turning away
b. reverse figure 8’s turning in
c. reverse clockwise circuit
d. reverse counterclockwise circuit

7. All inverted hover orientations.
a. tail in
b. right side
c. left side
d. nose in
e. slow clockwise pirouettes
f. slow counterclockwise pirouettes

8. Forward flight inverted circuits (and figure 8's)
a. figure 8’s turning away
b. figure 8’s turning in
c. clockwise circuit
d. counterclockwise circuit

9. Reverse flight inverted circuits (and figure 8's)
a. reverse figure 8’s turning away
b. reverse figure 8’s turning in
c. reverse clockwise circuit
d. reverse counterclockwise circuit

10. Hurricanes. Upright and inverted. FF and RF
a. upright forward clockwise
b. upright forward counterclockwise
c. upright reverse clockwise
d. upright reverse counterclockwise
e. inverted forward clockwise
f. inverted forward counterclockwise
g. inverted reverse clockwise
h. inverted reverse counterclockwise

11. Funnels all 8 orientations
a. skids out nose up clockwise
b. skids out nose up counterclockwise
c. skids out nose down clockwise
d. skids out nose down counterclockwise
e. skids in nose up clockwise
f. skids in nose up counterclockwise
g. skids in nose down clockwise
h. skids in nose down counterclockwise

12. Various mobius (to practice transitions)
a. half piro flips counterclockwise
b. half piro flips clockwise

13. Now you can start learning stirring moves and 3D flight

T-Rex 700F3C / T-Rex 450 Pro / Blade mCPX / Blade mSR / Blade mCX / Walkera 53Q3
JR X9503 /
Spektrum DX7
Phoenix Sim
Bri is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 02:05 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello all. I'm new to helis and really appreciate what you all are doing. I have a sim installed but having a lesson plan to follow would be great. Looking forward to the videos. I wish this was as easy as driving R/C cars on a track..
Ridge Racer is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Newb's. This is my opinion, but you should ABSOUTELY NOT DO FIGURE 8'S of any kind until you master just a simple circular circuit. Why do you want to challenge your thumbs to "alternate" between CW and CCW turns? I think it's MUCH MUCH EASIER, to just teach the fingers one turn at a time. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL BE STUCK turning CW or CCW for the rest of your helifreakin mind!!! (...sorry, but I get a little riled up countering too much common wisdom...figure 8's...ugh!). Just fully/completely/absolutely/unquestionably/totally master one direction turn, first. If you get stuck, whatcha gonna do? Decide which way to turn? Your mind/fingers will go into vapor lock. Why not already condition your fingers to turn only one way in a pinch. The one way that is "PERFECT". Then, and only then work on the other side turn. watch my video T-pattern, because this helps you do a T-pattern circuit that only involves turning in only one direction at a time. It also helps you progress to learning sideways(both nose up and tail down, and backwards flying...but that's for later). Try it you'll like it. Don't you think i'st much much easier when your left stick(rudder/throttle) doesn't need to think? Then you can just focus on your right stick(aileron/elevator). Right? Stay safe keep simmin.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ5z2OSE9rA&hd=1[/ame]
slamdance is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Incidentally, I agree with most of SLYSTER's list, but on #2.) slow piro's. They are really funnel turns. So, if you "are dilligent" should do the following:

Slow piro's:
a.) Nose down CW
b.) Nose down CCW
c.) tail down CW
d.) tail down CCW

I know this might be very boring and could take months maybe a whole year, but the rewards are AWESOME. You will have total/absolute/unquestioned control of the heli in tight spaces, and will lead you to doing the same inverted!!! So, the choice is your's newb's I don't want to sound cynical, but do you want to be a sport flyer for 10 year's or be working on your piro flips in 2 years? It's up to you.....have fun.. STay safe keep simmin.
slamdance is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 02:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdance View Post
Incidentally, I agree with most of SLYSTER's list, but on #2.) slow piro's. They are really funnel turns. So, if you "are dilligent" should do the following:

Slow piro's:
a.) Nose down CW
b.) Nose down CCW
c.) tail down CW
d.) tail down CCW

I know this might be very boring and could take months maybe a whole year, but the rewards are AWESOME. You will have total/absolute/unquestioned control of the heli in tight spaces, and will lead you to doing the same inverted!!! So, the choice is your's newb's I don't want to sound cynical, but do you want to be a sport flyer for 10 year's or be working on your piro flips in 2 years? It's up to you.....have fun.. STay safe keep simmin.
Shouldn't that be 2b entry then? I started with slow piros (levelled) and as consequence learned to fly nose down CW and tail down CCW (they are natural to the dynamics of helicopters). Other consequence of that practice were backward CW and CCW and piro circuits (CW on CW piros and CCW on CCW piros).

I can almost see syllabus being extended as:

2. Slow pirouettes
a. clockwise
b. counterclockwise
c. slow CW circuits
d. slow CCW circuits (although I'm not sure which go first - circuits or pirouettes - I did them as tight circuits first to end doing pirouettes - same doing currently with inverted piros)
e. slow CW backward circuits
f. slow CCW backward circuits
g. CW nose down pie dish
h. CCW tail down pie dish
i. CCW nose down pie dish
j. CW tail down pie dish
k. same as last 4 above but tighter as funnels...
clicky is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Raza,

This is going to be a great thread. I've been looking for a thread like this one. What about landing techniques? Keep it up!
arquitron is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by arquitron View Post
Hello Raza,

This is going to be a great thread. I've been looking for a thread like tis one. What about landing techniques? Keep it up!
Ive been wondering about different landing techniques. I have seen pilots hover a few feet off of the ground then hit throttle hold and do sort of an autorotation to get the skids on the ground. Is this technique better than a powered landing?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
I don't think it's better but:
- if you're in idle up let's one stop the motor without switching to normal mode (some doesn't even have it setup in their radio).
- helps to get used to hit throttle hold in emergency situations.

Francesco
ziper_it is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great tip on landing, is to not crash

TRex 500, HK 450GT, Mad Hawk 300, Blade mSR, Parkzone P-47
scoobiemario is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This thread is VERY useful!! STICKY STICKY STICKY!!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #31 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by javajohnmcc View Post
Ive been wondering about different landing techniques. I have seen pilots hover a few feet off of the ground then hit throttle hold and do sort of an autorotation to get the skids on the ground. Is this technique better than a powered landing?
I definitely recommend hitting th to land. However to do this you must make sure your TH pitch curve matches the pitch curve of the mode you are in. For this reason I also recommend making the pitch curve for every mode (including TH) the same, so there is never a jump in pitch as you switch from one mode to another.

Personally I have every pitch curve set to 0 to 100 linear

At first hitting th to land will be very scary. Just keep doing it every time you land from very short heights to the ground. The more you do it the more comfortable you'll get at it, and soon you won't even have to think about it. Eventually you'll be doing full blown autos from way up
RĒzĒ is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Raza,

Can you do a video on landing for us the newbies? Can you elaborate on the TH pitch curve and the mode you are in? Some of us haven't even used a 6ch TX to its full extent and just beginning tinkering with it.

A explanation with visuals is greatly appreciated
arquitron is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Raza, not sure if you're still doing these videos, but your piro flip video has really helped me out a lot. THANK YOU!

I have a couple of questions... in your video, you teach to do the half flip so that when the half flip is done, you will be nose in inverted. I've also watched videos of others who teach to "follow the tail". In those cases, your half flips end up inverted tail in. Is this the same as your double piro flips?

Check out this video on this topic (at 5:08 he goes into his piro flip section):

Thanks!
AMA #934662
caralmar is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caralmar View Post
Raza, not sure if you're still doing these videos, but your piro flip video has really helped me out a lot. THANK YOU!

I have a couple of questions... in your video, you teach to do the half flip so that when the half flip is done, you will be nose in inverted. I've also watched videos of others who teach to "follow the tail". In those cases, your half flips end up inverted tail in. Is this the same as your double piro flips?
A half flip is 180 degrees of piro rotation. This will result in tail in after the first half and tail in when done.

Any piro flip that is a multiple of 360 degrees like a full flip or double flip will end nose in after the first half and tail in when complete.

I'm definitely going to be making more vids. Time just keeps going on by quicker than ever. Just put together a new logo 600 so that will be eating even more time

I'm going to be making it a priority to get back into the tutorials soon.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, a hovering and basic controls video would be AWESOME. I've been flying a Blade mSR around the living room for about a year now and I still can't hover the thing right. Landings are a bitch too, but I think that it is so light that the air it throws off bounces off the ground and makes the little bugger REALLY unstable when it's close to the ground. Also, gonna be working on putting a belt drive tail conversion onto my Blade SR to make it more stable (i've never flown it for more that 30 seconds cause the tail motor is a POS) and want to get a few video lessons in before i pull that out for the spring
Assocracer is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 03:45 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like a great place to learn !!!
twoslick2 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just want to say thanks RĒzĒ!

Ive been flying CP since last august and only own an MCP X. Ive been practicing Piro Flips alot for the past 2 months. The cyclic stir was a bit confusing, and other peoples tutorials weren't built as well as yours so it was hard understanding the mechanics of the maneuver. I went from practicing half flips consistantly, to full half flips, than finally a full Piro Flip in the past week from watching your tutorial. It all finally clicked when I saw that you said the heli needed to be nose in inverted after the first full flip. That definitely clicked the"A HA!" moment, and I can now do them pretty well. I finally got enough courage to do full half flips on my real heli. After the winds die down I will try a full Piro flip. I almost can't believe I can do these now!

I only wish the MCP X had that float factor the larger heli's do, I think it would be a little easier.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #38 (permalink)

Good job! Glad you're able to take it to the next step. You'll be doing stationary double flips in no time
Old 01-25-2012, 03:17 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

When are more videos coming out? I need some more "beginner" ones!
davidvm3 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #40 (permalink)

Yeah I should get on that. Now that the holidays are over I have some time to start working on some new videos. I will try to get started this weekend.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in