Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Violent random tail shake

Hey guys,

I have a T-Rex 500 ESP that I've been trying to get dialed in for almost a year now.

After trying virtually everything to get rid of a persistent and constant minor tail wag I finally replaced the Align GP 780 and DS520 with a new Futaba GY520 gyro and S9257 tail servo.

On hover and general forward flight my tail seems to be solid. When I punch out the tail seems to hold fairly well and piro's stop smoothly, no squishyness or bounce back.

However... When doing steep turns or big loops in fast forward flight I occassionally get a sudden violent tail wag that lasts for about four shakes and then it seems to settle down. When it happens you hear (WHOOP, WHOOP, WHOOP, WHOOP) as the tail is rocking back and forth. As a beginner it scares the heck out of me everytime it happens.

Any idea what this could be? As I said, hover and slow to medium forward flight seem perfect. You gotta get hauling for it to happen.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron
Aaron Hartwell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

lower your gain some more,,mine did the same thing and i had to lower gain...
600ESP : 100AMP Castle. Scorpion Motor . AMA #962896
400 Blade : Scorpion 2221-6 ,Castle ICE 50 Sonix Head and t
Align 450 pro V2 3G MKS DS95 MSR , 2 x MCPX (brushless C05 & HP05), Blade 130X.
whoanelly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

We have been fighting that one also for a while on the 500 helicopters, You may have some wire shake from the airstream moving the gyro, or the tape that holds the gyro may be too soft for the heli/gyro/vibration level. I ended up using 3M trim tape as the Futaba tape was too soft. So far no more shakes as you describe. Before the tape switch, I couldn't lower the gain low enough to get rid of them.
DCP700 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well gain might be one factor. However I would check the servo placement and wires. Make sure in such maneuvers that the gyro stays in place and wire is not moving violently and adding vibration to the gyro. In addition check if the wires from gyro to Servo and receiver are in good overall condition.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I can reduce the gain some. It is pretty high but I thought if it was too high I'd get a tail wag on hover?

Here's a picture of the gyro mounting. I suppose the black wire connecting the gryo to the little box that the servo plugs in could be moving. I thought I was supposed to leave it loose like that prevent vibrations getting transfered from the frame to the gyro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gyro (1024x577).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	249459  
Old 08-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Hartwell View Post
I can reduce the gain some. It is pretty high but I thought if it was too high I'd get a tail wag on hover?

Here's a picture of the gyro mounting. I suppose the black wire connecting the gryo to the little box that the servo plugs in could be moving. I thought I was supposed to leave it loose like that prevent vibrations getting transfered from the frame to the gyro.

Well that wire could be the cause of your issue. I would install it have the wire point backwards or sideways.In certain situation the wire moving fast in one direction could pull the gyro with it.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

One more thing I noticed on the picture: You seem to use 2 layers of thick pads and the metal plate in between. Get one layer of thick pads without metal plate for this heli. Your gyro itself might be moving in some harder maneuvers.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok. So I should have one layer of foam on the gyro mount, not two with metal plate in between.

When do you use the two with metal? Larger or smaller helis? Or is it a gas vs. electric thing?
Old 08-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Hartwell View Post

I'd tie it down at the top loopy part with a dob of silicone. If that helps the problem
then maybe do something more permanent. I'd mess with the gyro plate and mounting
foams at a seperate time from the wire so I could tell which thing did it.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I reduced gain and removed the two foam pads and metal plate and replaced them with a single plate. I also secured the black wire going to the gyro loosely to the frame. One of the three things seemed to have fixed the problem.

Good idea on doing them one at a time to determine what the problem was. Next time I'll do that.

Aaron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in