Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can the align 2 port driver...

Take a 3 cell lipo?
Nipels is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

Not officially.

I've heard differing reports, a couple of my friends burned some up on 3S. Shortly thereafter, we all switched to LEDs ... much better IMO.
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

LEDsYou have any pictures of your rig, or a website? I am thinking about getting into night flying. Fill me in!
Nipels is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

LEDs are the way to go IMO. I use the LED strips from BP Hobbies.

You can run them up to 3S LiPo and they are extremely bright. Same as the LED strips from HK but no long shipping times

I don't have any recent pictures, this one is from a few months ago. I now have custom blades with SMD LEDs on them, running V-Bar, and I have changed my LED colorscheme a bit.

ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would check a inverter from a company that specialized in them over a company that makes helicopters. That way you can just pick a string with a 12v inverter
Trex 250

Last edited by RC-ichard; 06-14-2011 at 03:32 PM..
RC-ichard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned User

Hey Nipels, heres a link to a small 12v inverter that will run 2 el wire strings.

http://www.elwirepros.com/micro-12-invert.html

You can use a 3s lipo as it will accept 12.6v no problem.

El wire pros also has 3.2mm and 5mm el wire which is thicker and more crash worthy than the usual 2.2mm hobby grade. But its no brighter, just has a thicker silicone jacket. I've ordered from them b4 and got great service.

+1 on what ChrisH said about LEDs tho. LEDs will far outshine el wire on 3s, and give better run times. And DIY night blades are WAAAAY better than any off the shelf night blades since the DIY blades have LEDs mounted on the outside and not behind a plastic shield. A good LED setup on 3s will make the ground glow from 8 feet off the deck and is too bright to look at up close!

As for LED strips on the boom and canopy, some say 3s is too bright and suggest using a cheap brushed ESC as a sort of dimmer circuit. Its discussed in this thread from the gaui 550 section:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=311618

LED night blades are somewhat of a production. Xerogear is the go to place for the everything DIY night blade kit, but they are supposedly "on vacation" until august:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=299918

I did a nifty DIY night blades supply post a while back. This should get you off and running:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=301615

Remember to choose those resistors carefully according to the specs given by the vendor. Just google Led resistor calculator. Have fun.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For the EL Wire, can you tell me which colors are the brightest. I have my 450 all done in LED strips and even though it is super bright I actually like the look of the wire better.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned User

El wire naturally makes green light, the color the human eye is most sensitive to. So that would be brightest, followed by yellow, blue, white more or less in that order. Then orange and finally red is the dimmest of all.

The one white string I ever bought was the great planes flylights brand and when turned off it had a sort of pinkish look to it.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Aqua is the natural color of the glow wire, that is why the Aqua is the only color that has a clear insulation.
All of the other colors have tinted insulation to get the final color you want.
The closer your color choice is to Aqua, the less of the light spectrum will have to be filtered out by pigments in the insulation, and the brighter it will be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in