Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X

nano CP X Blade nano CP X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default $1 nCPX Canopies

Just made a new blog post that you guy will be interested in.

Cheap and more durable canopy for your nCPX is already out there.

There's even a yellow one that matches the tail color of the nCPX better that it's stock canopy.

Details on my blog post here.

Last edited by Daryoon; 09-25-2012 at 06:52 PM..
Daryoon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Love the color scheme! But I'm still finding yellow most visible.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

There are a couple of yellow ones and white ones available. See this blog post for more photos of the variations.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool! now we have more choices or canopies besides the stock one. Oh yea the Walkera Mini canopies will fit too
Old 09-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, there's a lot of canopies that will fit.

The beauty of this is, there's no extra canopy holes that are out of place because you have to make new ones to fit the mounts of the nCPX.

And the battery still fit underneath perfectly.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The link is error 403 cant see your site at all
xchristheisx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fantastic! (link is ok with me)
kingmeow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great post! I'll take 15 of those!
Old 10-25-2012, 04:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just ordered the orange/black one...to match my orange kbdd skids
mixfisto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you think the v911 tail fin would work on the Nano so then it can be a "complete set"?
kingmeow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like the looks and the price, but I would like to hear how the additional weight affects the flight characteristics.
steveap1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

It's more durable than the TDR style canopy that is popular with the mCPX guys.

Stock nCPX canopy is: 1.58g
v911 canopy is: 2.25g
Solo Pro canopy is gonna be similar weight to the nCPX once trimmed. So go that route if you like the looks.

My vote is for the v911 canopy. Simply because it's so durable and the nCPX will handle the additional weight ok.

I am sure if you cut more from the canopy, you can reduce the weight even more. Do share and mods or paint scheme you come up with.

The pain can easily be taken off with nail polish remover. I use the professional strength ones. (Stolen from wife of course)
Old 10-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varc View Post
...But I'm still finding yellow most visible.
Not when you fly it outside in the autumn. I never lost sight of a helicopter before - definitively not at 3-5m range!

Good find Daryoon
clicky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
It's more durable than the TDR style canopy that is popular with the mCPX guys.

Stock nCPX canopy is: 1.58g
v911 canopy is: 2.25g
Solo Pro canopy is gonna be similar weight to the nCPX once trimmed. So go that route if you like the looks.

My vote is for the v911 canopy. Simply because it's so durable and the nCPX will handle the additional weight ok.

I am sure if you cut more from the canopy, you can reduce the weight even more. Do share and mods or paint scheme you come up with.

The pain can easily be taken off with nail polish remover. I use the professional strength ones. (Stolen from wife of course)
Hi daryoon,
Anything for the mcpx?cheers
Pappy1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Yahoo! Nano's are finally in Australia...

DELETED

Last edited by teepeedoubleyou; 10-28-2012 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: sorry, posted reply instead of new thread
teepeedoubleyou is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Many thanks Daryoon for the great info on this. Canopy was one of the first things I broke on my nCPX and at $12 a pop they might be one of the most expensive to replace.

Here a few pictures of my first pass at trimming one down. Used an xacto and small drill bit to make holes for the canopy grommets. Fits great & weight came out same as stock.

I like the look of the black canopy, but thought the white would be more visible so went with it first. Didn't get a picture, but it ends up looking pretty cool with the blue LED showing through translucent white.

At $1 a shot these are a much better option than the blade canopies IMHO. May try a paper one down the road, but that seems like a bit more work if you want it to look good.
tim628 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just wanted to comment on this since I own both the v911 and the Nano. I haven't gone to the extent that tim628 did with all that trimming (nice job btw), but I have hung a v911 canopy on the Nano with the top pins, and decided not to fly it.

For those considering this set up, some comments.

The v911 canopy is like actual, thicker, much stiffer plastic you'd find on a larger model, while the Nano canopy is so thin, I'd almost call it a film. I've already cracked a canopy mounting post with the stock Nano canopy, and had to rebuild the whole helicopter.Speaking to the durability of the v911 canopy, its nearly indestructible and very inexpensive. Being that you can buy the entire bird without the radio for 20$ and 30$ with a radio, I can't deny their cost effective. However, I'm suspecting that using the much stiffer v911 canopy and nose striking the bird will shear off those canopy mounting posts pretty easily. It's just my opinion that you will likely be doing more frame repairs (if possible) or completely rebuilding your heli with this set up because the v911 canopy is so durable that its not a good match - no crumple zone so to speak. If you can get around the weakness of those posts, this may be a great set up. You could always try it, and see how it works out.

I wish that the maker of the v911 would start making nano parts, like main frames and swash plates. Their plastics are MUCH more durable. They'll stretch long before they snap. In fact, knowing these compounds exist, and their cheap, it now seems obvious that HH probably uses a mixture designed to NOT be durable, but that's a whole different topic.
Cerce is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

All great points Cerce.
With the risk of sounding like I am defensive about it...I'd like to comment on some of your points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerce View Post
The v911 canopy is like actual, thicker, much stiffer plastic you'd find on a larger model, while the Nano canopy is so thin, I'd almost call it a film. I've already cracked a canopy mounting post with the stock Nano canopy, and had to rebuild the whole helicopter.

Speaking to the durability of the v911 canopy, its nearly indestructible and very inexpensive. Being that you can buy the entire bird without the radio for 20$ and 30$ with a radio, I can't deny their cost effective. However, I'm suspecting that using the much stiffer v911 canopy and nose striking the bird will shear off those canopy mounting posts pretty easily. It's just my opinion that you will likely be doing more frame repairs (if possible) or completely rebuilding your heli with this set up because the v911 canopy is so durable that its not a good match - no crumple zone so to speak. If you can get around the weakness of those posts, this may be a great set up. You could always try it, and see how it works out.
I broke a canopy post with using the stock canopy. V911's frame is the only heli I own where I have not broken a canopy post yet. mSR, the canopy post look like it'll break just from hanging it's stock canopy on it. I swear. On those, I manage to repair with epoxy and haven't broken since. But I digress a little.

The stock canopy's material is so thin, and won't hold too much energy to work as crumple zone. So all the shock will go to whereever point you hit first. The canopy being in the way and being so thin will likely crack in the process.

The v911 canopy is thicker like you said. But it acts similarly to the cage concept that the other thread post.

The idea is, the stiffer v911 canopy will offload the energy so all four post will share the impact. Lessening the chance of a broken canopy post. The v911's canopy has that scoop that fits right at the skid's battery tray. That will help carry the shock too.

All theories of course. And I realized that luck plays as much a part in crash damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerce View Post

I wish that the maker of the v911 would start making nano parts, like main frames and swash plates. Their plastics are MUCH more durable. They'll stretch long before they snap. In fact, knowing these compounds exist, and their cheap, it now seems obvious that HH probably uses a mixture designed to NOT be durable, but that's a whole different topic.
Just like using a brushed motor. All that is deliberate of course. Like the printer and ink model that companies like HP uses. The consumable is where you gain back the R&D and sustain the company. But like you said, a whole different topic.

Final thoughts...my personal views.

I think I rather risk breaking a canopy post versus the highly likely scenario of breaking the stock canopy. The reason is...the frame is actually cheaper to replace, and easier to repair satisfactorily than replacing or repairing the stock canopy.

I repaired that one broken canopy post and have been running with the v911 since. And so far, (knock on wood), so good. And that's from someone who is currently practicing flipping and doing inverted orientation for the first time. heheheh

@tim628
Nicely done. I am more intrigue by how you got the weight to be the same as that of the nano. Good job.

@Cranknut
Not that I know of. Unfortunately, I don't own a mCPX.

To all...

Definitely keep posting in this thread, positive or negative viewpoints. Keep the discussion going. I'd love to have more options for alternative canopies for the Nano CP X.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

At a buck a piece.. its pretty hard for the US team /North American team to compete....

After searching and searching Bang.com, I could not find the yellow or 99 cent cano... I did find a butane soldering torch though.. Kinda caught my eye......

Please provide a link to the yello
& 99 cent cano's.. I would appreciate that a great deal.

Cheers! R.
CircleH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Search for v911.

MyRCMart has the v911 for $0.99+ shipping.

TMart ships out of the US warehouse. $2. Free shipping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in