Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2015, 04:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Kosmik 160 BEC issues

OK, I recently set up a new Kosmik 160 on a Goblin 700. I am having trouble with the bec initializing my fbl controller. I set it up with a Beast-x with sattelites, when plugging in the main battery flight pack the servos would just shutter and the fbl controller would not arm. I got past this issue by simply first plugging in my buffer pack (2s 430mah lipo) to arm the system first then plugging in the Kosmik afterwords. I set the Kosmik bec voltage to 8 volts as well with help from a freind who has a Progdisk. Everything worked out very well and no issues. Since then I have changed fbl controllers to an Ikon with 2 sattelites and I am still have the same initializing problems with the Kosmik bec. Also, after setting up the Ikon I thought it would be wise to re-program mode 4 on the Kosmik. After doing this, my bec voltage went back to the default setiing of 5.6 volts. Was it suppose to default back to 5.6 volts after programming mode 4?. I have read a few posts on some people having initializing issues with the Kosmik bec. Seems some people have gotten past this issue by plugging in the buffer pack first like I have been doing and have been perfectly fine, and some have sent their Kosmiks back and have recieved new ones. So I am left felling a little confused whether it is right or wrong?. And a little confused why my bec voltage went from 8 volts back to default 5.6 volts after reprogramming mode 4. Your thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2015, 05:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Any programming you usually start with a mode1, which resets the ESC, to just do a mode4 without mode1 might have confused the programming. So correct procedure is always mode1, mode4 and then do mode10 or program BEC voltage with the ProgUnit or ProgDisc.

The BEC behaviour is normal and well documented, BEC gaurd will solve it and some Kosmik examples does not have this bad habit?????
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2015, 06:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bec guard doesnt resolve I have 2 BG on a new kosmik with low voltage issue and the issue remains
edit: didnt work for me
Diabolo S #6
Diabolo
TDR
N7

Last edited by crash at 42; 04-25-2015 at 07:30 AM..
crash at 42 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2015, 06:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

What Vinger said on the programming. Any programming should start with mode 1 and then 4. And that will always require resetting your other tunables (BEC v, startup, pgain, etc.) with progdisc. Did you change motor's as well? If so, you definitely want to do a mode 1 / 4 again with it (if you haven't already).

I have 3 Kosmik's (a 160 and two 200's) and they all arm my VBAR heli's every time without the use of external power. They do boot at 5.6v, but quickly change to 8v as programmed and then I switch on my 2S buffer packs.

My Jive Pro 120 BEC would not boot my VBAR and was only outputting 2.88v with VBAR and my servos plugged in on the heli. If you jump-started it with an external 2S power source like the buffer, it would initialize and reset to 8v as programmed. I sent back to my retailer that sent it back to Kontronik-Germany. They agreed it was not working correctly and replaced it.

The new Jive Pro 120 works great and just like my 3 Kosmiks.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I didn`t realize I should have done Mode 1 first and it would have to be re-programmed afterwords for the other tunables. And no, I didn`t change motors. The odd thing about the bec not initializing the system is that it is well documented and I was even told by some factory reps on the other site on how to deal with it. Nothing was ever mentioned about it possibly being faulty. Plus, once everything boots up it works perfect. Weird!. I will get ahold of HeliDirect and talk to them about it.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
My Jive Pro 120 BEC would not boot my VBAR and was only outputting 2.88v with VBAR and my servos plugged in on the heli. If you jump-started it with an external 2S power source like the buffer, it would initialize and reset to 8v as programmed. I sent back to my retailer that sent it back to Kontronik-Germany. They agreed it was not working correctly and replaced it.
The 2.88V is the integrative display of the voltmeter.
In reality the voltage is oscillating. Here some scope shots from Dirk, a German KOSMIK user: (I apologize for the giant format. These pics are just linked, I was too lazy to resize them.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in