Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System

Align 3G FBL System Align 3G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeap, I have same mounting as Pilluoma's first pic with only one layer of 3M tape and it's flying great.
pani is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #122 (permalink)

So... Reset my settings closer to stock recommendations, but upped the gains/stops for ail/elev/rudd by 5, lowered the locks for ail/elev/rudd by 5, upped the return speed and piro compensate by 5... Much less drastic than prior settings.

Flies well, upped the gains on the 3G controller in the field to about 1:00... My only complaint is on hard stops, elevator tic tocs, and continuos rolls/flips... I tend to see the heli wiggle a bit. But if I smooth out my stick movements I see none of that... Only when I'm jammin the sticks back n forth.

Might try resetting the throws in the dir setup for ail/elev while holding the tx in hand like flight... Maybe having it lay on the ground and mr trying to push it to it's limits carefully but quickly is teaching it a false fullstick direction compared to when I am actually flying.... Will test and let you know... Vids of testing hopefully loaded by tomorrow.
Philluoma is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondabear View Post
do mod and use a single piece of 4010 3m tape or the LOCTITE equivelent. NO strap. Peaxce!
My 550 3G was flying great with sensor mod done and single Align tape that came with the kit, then this afternoon I did a few things like add the metal tail servo bracket, mounted the servo on the underside of it, and installed the metal gyro mount (swash anti-rotation).
My sensor has always been in the stock location as per the manual.
I then mounted the sensor using two pieces of double sided tape with the the small metal plate that came with the pack, sandwiched between them.

I took it for a test flight and almost crashed it three times before lifting off, just because the bad cyclic wobble. I had it a couple of feet off the ground once and it still wobbled like mad.

I hooked up the 3G link and confirmed all setting were still the same (set docile for this newbie), but noticed that the swash reacted very aggressively to me just prodding the sensor with my finger - having seen this I went back to a single double sided tape and it no longer reacts to the finger prod.

I will be doing the test flight tomorrow morning.

Your mounting recommendation is obviously as a result of experience gained, and I wouldn't question it, but my question is, could my trial sensor mounting arrangement have made my heli un-flyable, if not, should I be looking for some other problem?

Parts installed today.
1 x ALIGN Metal Rudder Servo Mount H55023 - TREX 550E (H55023) = $14.99

1 x ALIGN Metal Gyro Mount H55021 - TREX 550E (H55021) = $16.99

1 x ALIGN Double Sided Tape K10433B - GP750/GP780 (K10433B) = $3.99

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /

Last edited by 1004ron; 12-25-2010 at 08:22 PM..
1004ron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #124 (permalink)

I tried many different ways of mountings... And then discovered my problem was in 3G setup! Through all my trial and error, I'm now running a Velcro strap over the sensor as tight as I can get it. This is on my Rex 500 ESP 3G.

The stock setup on the 3G is very flyable... As long as you get a few steps of the process properly done.

Mechanically you need to have the swash driver properly set and phased with the main blades.

When you set your maximum pitch ranges in DIR, set the 2 degrees higher than desired... Even if it puts you over the recommended maximums in the manual... Then once out of DIR, lower your swash mix numbers... I lowered all mine by 10 and it cured all my headaches. I'm gonna start upping the swash mix numbers now til I get bad tendancies then back it off. You need to give the 3G gyro wiggle room to move in relation to full stick movement on the tx... This accomplishes that end goal.

Make sure of those two things, and lastly you can mess with the sensitivivity adjustment(red or green LED) on the tail gyro setup.

Completely stock on the 3G should be more than flyable... Double check the above^^^
Old 12-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Went with the single Align double sided tape with the sensor mounted on the stock location (ant-rotation bracket) and my heli is one again flyable.

Just need to get rid of the tail wag now - will experiment with the small vs large heli gyro setting.

SAB Goblin 700 - CCHV120 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 / 450 Pro - GT5 - Tarot head / T-Rex 550 V2.1 - CC100 - BEC Pro - AR7200BX - TM1000 /

Last edited by 1004ron; 12-26-2010 at 09:35 PM..
Old 12-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

One layer of 780 tape (10433B kit), Metal plate, one layer of spartan tape mounted on the tail block and strapped down. I reciently made the strap tighter, works great.
bad007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOW!........I guess I havent made known the 550 mounting specs and placement yet.

Mount? .....Bottom plate BELOW mainshaft. 4010 tape. Single piece. e6000 MOD done.

I started with the stock settings and tweeked till it was quick enough for me.

Foam' strap and plate is a Baindaid which I used to use on a poorly tuned nitro. Boomblock and gyro mounting plate(stock) are the absolute WORST places to put these sensors.

Hope this helps. PEACE!
jondabear is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
WOW!........I guess I havent made known the 550 mounting specs and placement yet.

Mount? .....Bottom plate BELOW mainshaft. 4010 tape. Single piece. e6000 MOD done.

Foam' strap and plate is a Baindaid which I used to use on a poorly tuned nitro. Boomblock and gyro mounting plate(stock) are the absolute WORST places to put these sensors.

Hope this helps. PEACE!
Philluoma tried that on his 500 and ended up having to go back to the RX plate. The steel plate sure cant hurt, LOL.
That's on a 500, I decided to stick with the stock location and it works geat. I am a flybar guy at heart and don't trust those sensors in the event something would cause a vibration to develope inflight.
I've heard of wild ossulations developing in flight and that's a small insurance policy just incase. Every body has noticed something that didn't seam quite right or somethign didn't sound right and brought it down only to find a probelm developing, you kinda know what I mean. That setup allowed for more gain on the gyro and the tail holds better. With 9 deg. cyclic and no DR the helli feels locked in.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:27 PM   #129 (permalink)

On my 500 I did try the sensor on the bottom plate below the mainshaft... And fought a hovering tail wag... Putting it on the stock gyro mount has worked well with a tight Velcro strap.

Of course I also figured out later to lower my swash mix after setting maximums in DIR... That cured all my bad flip/roll characteristics...

I'm getting such good results at the rear tray with the strap that I'm not wanting to move it around now... To each their own... I'm just glad to have finally figured out how to adjust out all the bad tendancies.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:57 AM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Hope this helps. PEACE!
You know what else that setup helps with? Lifting off on hard surfaces and whan setting on gravel. The vibes created don't mess with it during lift off.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:46 AM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which is better for a Trex 500?

1. With E6000 mod, single piece of 3M 4010 tape and no strap

OR

2. Without E6000 mod, sensor-4010-metal plate-4010, strapped down

Can I do a combination of both? E6000 mod with the double tapes and metal plate?

Thanks in advance!
khermit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 10:40 AM   #132 (permalink)

On my 500, I performed the mod by stuffing the sensor with align zeal tape.

Then mounted it on the rear tray: 3mm futaba gyro foam- align metal plate- 3mm futaba gyro foam- 3G sensor... All wrapped and strapped tightly with a align hook and loop(Velcro) strap.

I'm running a ds650 on the tail, with the red LED sensitivity adjustment on the 3G, with 10 delay(cause I can't get it to zero).

Took the Chinese tail weight mod I was using off.

Put a hollow cf tube over the tail control rod, and removed the tail rod guides.

The ball link is on the innermost hole on the servo arm.

I'm running two bearings on the TT tail.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did a 500 with the mod about a month ago.

The 500 DID NOT LIKE 4010.....Bit too rigid so we went with a standard piece of Align foam and put sensor between frames. Seemed to work well.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:54 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Where to buy 3m mounting tape 4010 ?

I can't find the 3m mounting tape 4010 at any of my local stores - I've tried Lowes, Home Depot, Meijer's, and Walmart.

Home Depot has something similar the gray 3M mounting tape 411.

Where else can I try for this?

Old 12-31-2010, 09:09 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

Philluoma and jondabear, thanks much for your replies.

As what you guys have recommended, Will go with E6000 mod, foam tapes and metal plate. Cheers!
khermit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 10:24 PM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

LOCTITE brand OUTDOOR double side is the same. PEACE!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just my input, 2mm foam tape, csm gyro plate, 2mm foam tape, sensor. This isnt the 3m tape everyone seems to be singing about, just some unbranded stuff. Eliminated ALL wobbles and wags. Originally installed on one square of the align stuff, and it seems far too spongy for me.
t-rex 700 nitro btw
TonyUK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

Spartan vibration attenuation kit.
http://www.helidirect.com/spartan-vi...ate-p-7735.hdx
Sensor with thin tape to plate, thick spartan tape to heli.
Strapped down fairly tight.

Flawless on T700N and T600N.

Thanks to Leon Luke for the tip
jsenicka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1004ron View Post
I can't find the 3m mounting tape 4010 at any of my local stores - I've tried Lowes, Home Depot, Meijer's, and Walmart.

Home Depot has something similar the gray 3M mounting tape 411.

Where else can I try for this?
Try a automotive paint supply store where body shops get there supplies from.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Walmart sells the Loctite version of the tape.
RCMustang is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in