Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see the www.Innov8tivedesigns.com is getting some boards soon for those who are interested:

We will be receiving a limited supply of this item this week. You are now able to pre-order this item on our website, with shipping later this week.
Harbormaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I received the CopterControl board from AGL Hobbies today.

I hooked up an AR6100 receiver and a CC 25 ESC with a battery, plugged in a USB cable, and started the Ground Control Station software. I was able to do a basic configuration and calibration on the board in about an hour. (It would take me five minutes to do it now that I know how it all works.) So far, so good.

There are some FBL configuration files posted at the heli forum at the Open Pilot site, so I guess I'll start with one of those. There are a lot of settings you can make. I'm curious to see how many require fussing with them and how many are just options you can adjust, like with VBar.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am happily participating in the Open Pilot project and it is very exciting in my view. I ordered one of the recent batch of CC boards from Innov8tive and hope to have it before the first of year. I'll keep you posted as I work with it. I have a Logo 500 airframe that I'm prepping to use as a testbed. I like the Logo because of the quiet, smooth, low-vibe flight operating characteristics. It also has the large platform mount in front that should simplify things. Jocko
Jockobadger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ordered mine from AGL Hobbies and expecting it today. I'll be installing it in a FBL 450 heli. I'm interested how it performs as FBL stablization system and its self-leveling function. This may be good for scale helis.
ricoalonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm started an "OpenPilot CopterControl" thread here so us HFers can share our experiences. There's a heli forum at OpenPilot, of course, but this way there will be at least a small OpenPilot presence here on HF. Maybe if enough interest develops there could even be a separate OpenPilot thread.

The OpenPilot thread is at https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...49#post3486549.

Last edited by Harbormaster; 12-21-2011 at 11:14 AM..
Old 12-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Love to get my hands on one but you need a lot of patience.

Last edited by Ivor Hill; 12-21-2011 at 05:47 PM..
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
Love to get my hands on one but you need a lot of patience.
Yeah. I hope the availability improves as they work out the manufacturing and distribution process. Both of the US distributors will send you e-mail about stock status.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just posted some early setup photos (on the bench--not even on a heli yet) at https://www.helifreak.com/showthread....49#post3486549.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's now a wiki entry about how to set up the OpenPilot Copter Control board as a FBL controller at
http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Do...ess+Helicopter
Old 03-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Any idea where to buy a CC?
Trex 600 Gasser FBL | HeliXHeli conv. | OS GT15HZ | iKon | Homemade onboard generator
Azalin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalin View Post
Any idea where to buy a CC?
CopterControl boards have been almost impossible to get for months and months. Sometimes (rarely) you can find used ones. Here are the people who are selling them retail:

http://www.openpilot.org/get-hardware/
Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default OpenPilot

Are people having luck with the OpenPilot or Arduino based autopilots for conventional helicopters yet? I have yet to be succesful with my TREX experiments I know there is a big difference between helicopters and multirotors in terms of their aerodynamic efficiency. I also know multicopters are much easier to get flying automatically. Can you point me towards some videos of Openpilot on traditional helicopters?

This helicopter was flying in Florida at an electric funfly a few months back. I was truledy impressed. I think the system was geared for some UAV project...ie, out of my price range

Destry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

wow! nice ! those things must be expensive.

Anyway, for OP related video, you maybe able to find some in the www.openpilot.org forums. The OP CC board is mostly for multi-copters and which they are trying to adapt for FBL single rotor heli. Not much on single rotor heli yet as they are still working on it, although some few individuals were already able to fly with it as FBL controller.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I wanted to try OpenPilot first, but like other said, it is impossible to get. When they are on ebay, they are selling for twice as much as it costed. I'm testing Arduino right now, but it is also targeted for multicopter at first. It has been very difficult to do anything for a traditional heli so far.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry View Post
Are people having luck with the OpenPilot or Arduino based autopilots for conventional helicopters yet?
OpenPilot's CopterControl board is still unavailable and has a long way to go as a viable platform for helis. (It's very highly developed for multirotor though).

Here's a link to the OP heli forum: http://forums.openpilot.org/forum/27-helicopters/
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default The Waiting...

I'm lucky enough to have a CopterControl on my Quad and it's an awesome flight board.

For my vote, I'd be willing to pay more for the Revolution/CopterControl boards if they could pay for more help in getting the boards out to those of us that are on hold.

I'm concerned the flying season in the PNW will come and go while waiting so I'm looking at Naza, Arduino etc and if Revolution makes it or doesn't make it to market, I'll still be flying this summer
The more we buy the other flight boards, the more $ they'll have to R&D more cool stuff and bring it to the masses at affordable prices.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator53 View Post
I'm concerned the flying season in the PNW will come and go while waiting so I'm looking at Naza, Arduino etc and if Revolution makes it or doesn't make it to market, I'll still be flying this summer
If you're looking for an inexpensive and highly configurable (i.e. PID settings individually settable in addition to simple setup settings) board for your heli, consider the ZYX or the CX-3X1000 (same board sold by different companies). I think it's the best option while OpenPilot production is offline and CopterControl heli support is under development.

Discussion here: https://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93
Old 04-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey thank you Harbormaster!

Haven't had a chance to study your link, but will it work on mutli-rotor?

Desperate to fly my Quad with some return to home, altitude hold function.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

> will it work on mutli-rotor?
Oh, sorry, no, those devices are heli only.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
If you're looking for an inexpensive and highly configurable (i.e. PID settings individually settable in addition to simple setup settings) board for your heli, consider the ZYX or the CX-3X1000 (same board sold by different companies). I think it's the best option while OpenPilot production is offline and CopterControl heli support is under development.

Discussion here: https://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93
Hello there Harbormaster:
How's the CC FBL doing? I had a chance to check the OP forum the other day and seems no much progress yet. I just ordered my ZYX-S and waiting for it. It supposed to support FBL, Quad and Fix-wing. I don't think it supports auto-level 'though. I read good things about ZYX and my initial view of the setup software looks good.

Later,
Rico.

Edit: AFAIK, the ZYX (non S version) supports only FBL but the ZYX-S supports FBL, Quad and Planes per their ad.

Last edited by ricoalonso; 04-17-2012 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Additional text.

Tags
openpilot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in