Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Inner motor holes?
Did I miss something, guessing one set is drilled closer to center than the other. Never even noticed.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Indeed, GG. The motor mounting holes are in two separate hole circles. One smaller, one larger. The smaller prevents the mounting screw heads from interfering against the bolt head beneath the guide roller assembly. I believe Sebastian intended to convey this with is note about "installing it exactly as shown in the pictures". I didn't catch that either, but fortunately for me, Gawl pointed it out. I shared that with Scott, too, for the build thread.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ah, gotcha.
Well I must have got mine right(the 2nd time round) as all is built and no interference anywhere.
Couple more things to finish up and I'll be ready for maiden.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Look forward to your successful maiden report too, GG.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconRaygun View Post
A friend of mine just picked up a Mini Protos... we are building our helis at the same time and fly together... so we will put this to the test.
Cool, Bacon, really looking forward to this. I passed up the MP many times over the last few years because I like to do autos and it just seemed like it would be an extreme struggle. The hardest thing I have autoed is an old belt drive 450 with 315? blades. Watched some MP vids and the spool down was so much faster than anything I've ever seen.
ScotY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I can imagine... I learned to auto on my 450 pro, which was not very forgiving in the auto department, but was very forgiving in the damage department. I can imagine how a belted 450 sport would not auto all too well... And exactly why I think the Warp will have (at least) double the autobility of my 450 pro, the head is just so smooth.
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I suck at autos, to say the least, so I don't mind having all the stored energy used to rotate the main blades. I rather have a go at auto'ing nose in instead of free falling tail in.
Kendo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
I suck at autos, to say the least, so I don't mind having all the stored energy used to rotate the main blades. I rather have a go at auto'ing nose in instead of free falling tail in.
You can still auto tail in, just glide past yourself before you run out of altitude.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconRaygun View Post
I can imagine... I learned to auto on my 450 pro, which was not very forgiving in the auto department, but was very forgiving in the damage department. I can imagine how a belted 450 sport would not auto all too well... And exactly why I think the Warp will have (at least) double the autobility of my 450 pro, the head is just so smooth.
I did a baby auto from 4 ft and was a tad slow. Was going for tail in but was a tad slow and the heli had already started turning so I ended up landing nose in. Not a big deal but wasn't ready for it so little surprised.

That being said these blades spin for days on spool down! Once I'm comfortable with the weather vaning effect, I think this 450 will auto very nicely. I couldn't believe the first time I spooled down and was at mid stick still, blades kept spinning for another 30 seconds after shutting it down.

Team Scorpion
Gawl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try the real auto, Gawl. Baby autos always seem to spin around a little for me, even with a driven tail...not sure why but always assumed the tail blades were stalling out or losing authority. Try it in the wind the first time and do maintain some forward speed...it will be a non-issue but you may see a smallish yaw at the very end. If you (or anyone else) is worried about it, try adding a slightly bigger tail fin.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #31 (permalink)

Default Windy flying

It's been blowing 25-40 mph here for the last week , I fly my other heli's (450)In 25-30 mph wind often but the Warp has alot of windage and smallish skids so I'm not very confident on landings yet,I'll probably wait till the winds come down to 10-15.Anyone else flying the Warp in wind?Cyclic responce is awesome, hard to wait for weather for another flight!
Steve
Stevemech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemech View Post
It's been blowing 25-40 mph here for the last week , I fly my other heli's (450)In 25-30 mph wind often but the Warp has alot of windage and smallish skids so I'm not very confident on landings yet,I'll probably wait till the winds come down to 10-15.Anyone else flying the Warp in wind?Cyclic responce is awesome, hard to wait for weather for another flight!
Steve
Yeah, I flew mine in the wind weekend before last ... it was blowing probably about 20kph gusting to about 30kph ... and it was about 21F without the windchill. I forgot my transmitter mitt, so my fingers quickly felt like blocks of ice ...

Anyways, It handled great .... one of the forums members here got some video, but he hasn't posted it yet. It's a little floaty as it turns up and down wind, and it goes like STINK!

Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #33 (permalink)

Other than the temperatures 20 to 30 kph would be a calm day for me,I get about two weeks of dead calm days a year so if I want to fly , it's going to be in wind.I learned most everything in wind so when it calms down it's such a treat.I fly from the top of a windy valley( on coming winds) so I can pick a level where there is alot of updraft and hover with negative collective(soaring).I have some speedruns in 25-30 mph winds on YouTube on my Blackangel.
Steve
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, 20-30kph is an average day, although I have no fear of flying in 30kph gusting to 60kph ... just ask Shotgun71, Gothicbunny, and Jeffsos3000.

We live on the prairies here and it's the same story ... learn to deal with the wind or you don't fly because you're always waiting for a calm day.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #35 (permalink)

Once airborn the wind is fun to use, it's the takeoff and landing that can be hard, I find on the Warp I hit Th just before landing and then the tail is undriven so the grass isnt an issue.I takeoff from concrete but but don't want to take a chance of stuffing the tail on the concrete!I also put on some 62mm blades for now for more clearance and until I get some spare stock ones( mine are still new).

Steve
Old 12-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Huh, I usually land with nose into the wind and it's no problem, it's when I try and land with the wind coming from the sides that's an issue. LOL!

I'm running Edge 353s for mains and 60mms on the tail. I'm landing on both concrete and grass, but neither really matter.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Jeff did you try the Compass blades? How do they compare?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyGolden View Post
Jeff did you try the Compass blades? How do they compare?
No, not yet ... I was too lazy to pain the Compass blades, well, maybe not lazy but busy. LOL!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ah, thought maybe we bought them all up on ya.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyGolden View Post
Ah, thought maybe we bought them all up on ya.
LOL ... no, I have a few in stock, and my kit also came with them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in