Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotormaster.
Well, think about something for a second. Consider the fact that full size car engines, like our RCs, also run retard and advance. So in cars that use forced induction, how does their charge not simply blow straight out through the exhaust port?

For the record, I have personally seen forced induction cars pumping out 2500+ HP, with several degrees of advance. And note that while we are worried about our miniscule charge blowing out of the exhaust port, these cars will be holding 50 psi in the chamber.
Doesn't a full size engine open/close the intake and exhaust ports separately? So while the intake port is open the exhaust port is closed? I know its more complex then that, but isn't that about it 'in a nutshell'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotormaster
Think about what you just said.
Whats wrong with what I said? Doesn't the piston close off the intake and exhaust ports before it could compress the charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotormaster.
Part of what you said here is correct, namely that there is already a small amount of compression being generated in these 2 cycle systems. What I should tell you is that this very fact is the reason why forced induction is not effective in our engines. The scavenging/supercharging exhaust system that these engines employ is the reason they can produce power so effectively, and put simply, any additional forced induction just spoils the entire cycle of this effective system.
Could you be more specific or point me to a web resource? This stuff is really interesting...
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in