Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Main Forum - Multirotor Talk

Main Forum - Multirotor Talk General Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2014, 04:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Cheapest FPV quad with great range

Hello!

So, i live in a forest and i'd like a quad to get some nice footage of it and just have fun avoiding trees and things like that!

But, i understand that because of the trees, the range will drop, so i'd like something that will give me a LOT of range and FPV range and that is cheap (Under 700) easy to built or preferably, RTF.

Is the DJi phantom v1.1.1 any good? What kind of range will it give me and what's the best and cheapest FPV system i could get for it? And i'm also considering the AR drone 2, but i guess that cuz of Wi-fi, the range will be awful.

Any recommendations?
madsilencerr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 06:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Any ideas?
Old 10-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Under 700 euros? Sure.

Seriously though, you would be dissappointed with the Phantom if you're interested in long range FPV, especially through trees. In order to do what you're interested in, you will need to focus on the control and video frequencies so that they are able to penetrate through the trees. The Phantom uses 2.4 GHz for control, which is great for LOS (line of sight) flying. However, you will not be able to use this frequency to fly through a forest, lower frequencies are needed for this.

To get the best range/penetration possible, you will want to rely on 1.2-1.3GHz for video and 433MHz for control. I believe using 2.4GHz for video is possible for what you're interested in, but 1.2-1.3 will be even better. Just remember, that with either of these two frequencies for video, you will most likely need UHF 433MHz for control in order to avoid any interference between the two antennas due to harmonics.
- Spektrum DX7
SeanM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
Under 700 euros? Sure.

Seriously though, you would be dissappointed with the Phantom if you're interested in long range FPV, especially through trees. In order to do what you're interested in, you will need to focus on the control and video frequencies so that they are able to penetrate through the trees. The Phantom uses 2.4 GHz for control, which is great for LOS (line of sight) flying. However, you will not be able to use this frequency to fly through a forest, lower frequencies are needed for this.

To get the best range/penetration possible, you will want to rely on 1.2-1.3GHz for video and 433MHz for control. I believe using 2.4GHz for video is possible for what you're interested in, but 1.2-1.3 will be even better. Just remember, that with either of these two frequencies for video, you will most likely need UHF 433MHz for control in order to avoid any interference between the two antennas due to harmonics.

So could you suggest a setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would check out the TBS Gemini. For $550, you get a prebuilt mini FPV racer that's reciever ready. All you have to add on is your video Tx of choice and whichever control Rx you want. In your case, a Taranis control Tx with a EZUHF antenna module paired to an EZUHF Rx would allow you to do what you want. As for the video side, you would want to choose a 1.2-2.4GHz Tx that will fit.. Probably around 200-500mw.

http://www.team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:gemini

You could easily build one for cheaper by piecing together a kit.. It's just a matter of whether you would rather spend the extra $$ to get something prebuilt/tuned or if you enjoy doing that part yourself. One thing to keep in mind is that in order to do what you're interested in, you will not be able to find something RTF without spending much more. The route I'm suggesting will require some setting up, especially on the control side.

TBS Gemini (0 min 54 sec)
- Spektrum DX7
SeanM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2014, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Budget build...

Bone stock f450
4000-5000mah batts
1.3ghz fpv kit
UHF control
Decent antennas
Old 10-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

oh man that thing looks fun
Old 10-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Idk all these things end up being too expensive and hard to build...

Old 10-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you do not want to learn to build then maybe this path is not for you, perhaps you need to find one already built or Ready To Fly. they are not that hard but there is a leaning curve and some research to do on your part.
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 02:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedee View Post
If you do not want to learn to build then maybe this path is not for you, perhaps you need to find one already built or Ready To Fly. they are not that hard but there is a leaning curve and some research to do on your part.
I understand, but with school, it would take me months to finish it...
Old 10-26-2014, 03:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Hmm... like the guys are saying, it don't think it'll be possible to get one that does everything you list, RTF for $700 or less, unless you can find a good deal on a second hand one. The old saying "Done right, done fast, done cheap - pick any two" applies. If your studies won't permit you the time to build one that can do what you want, maybe now is not the right time to start on something that ambitious. If you're looking to fly FPV and beyond visual range behind trees etc, you really should know how these things work inside and out and, of course, building one is the best way to gain that knowledge. On the bright side, it's not as hard as you may think to build one yourself and plenty of us here would be more than happy to help guide you through the process. We were all new to these at one time and here is where plenty of us learned the ins and outs. Plus, there is hardly any better feeling than when an admiring bystander asks where you bought it, you can say, "Oh, I built it myself."

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 04:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Island Guy View Post
Hmm... like the guys are saying, it don't think it'll be possible to get one that does everything you list, RTF for $700 or less, unless you can find a good deal on a second hand one. The old saying "Done right, done fast, done cheap - pick any two" applies. If your studies won't permit you the time to build one that can do what you want, maybe now is not the right time to start on something that ambitious. If you're looking to fly FPV and beyond visual range behind trees etc, you really should know how these things work inside and out and, of course, building one is the best way to gain that knowledge. On the bright side, it's not as hard as you may think to build one yourself and plenty of us here would be more than happy to help guide you through the process. We were all new to these at one time and here is where plenty of us learned the ins and outs. Plus, there is hardly any better feeling than when an admiring bystander asks where you bought it, you can say, "Oh, I built it myself."
I agree! Well, i decided that for that i should wait until summer, when i'll have endless time, then i'll probably make a thread again asking for help hehe
Old 10-26-2014, 05:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsilencerr View Post
I agree! Well, i decided that for that i should wait until summer, when i'll have endless time, then i'll probably make a thread again asking for help hehe
We'll keep an eye out for ya! And good luck with your studies. Those are the most important thing.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsilencerr View Post
Hang out and read the threads. There's a wealth of information to had.

"I'm Seti with HeliFreak and we'll leave the light on for ya." (Unless budget cuts force us to turn it off)
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you everyone!! What an amazing forum Helifreak is with amazing people!

BTW, I'm 15 so it's school and not studies haha

Old 10-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
HF MR Support

...you still need to study for school and prepare for what comes next ! Education is #1 !

Last edited by PTcaflyer; 10-26-2014 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: ....forgot to PROOF READ !
PTcaflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTcaflyer View Post
scool Education is #1 !
Old 10-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneger21 View Post
...yeah, flunked typing ! LOL!
Old 10-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Cheapest FPV quad with great range

Yeah though honestly education is #1... Otherwise how will I fund my heli addiction when my parents stop doing so?? Hehe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in