Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > For Sale Forums – KNOW your buyer/seller ratings! No Price bashing. NO FIREARMS > Stolen, Ripoffs and Scammer alerts

Stolen, Ripoffs and Scammer alerts Post your theft, scammed, ripped off reports here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Victim of credit card fraud

I never thought it would happen to me. I have a credit card that I exclusively use for heli purchases. Mostly purchase online through paypal using my credit card except for my LHS purchases. Couple of days ago I received a call from my credit card company (Chase) notifying me that my credit card number may be compromised. I didn't make any purchases that day but the rep asked if I did. I denied the purchases and she thought that it was compromised. It turned out there were two purchases to Microsoft Xbox Live for total of $150. Man I'm glad they were able to detect that and I wonder how. Anyway, I'm glad I got a new number and new card but it makes me leery about further use of online purchases.

Come to think of it, the last time I purchased anything online was to Radical RC before this happened. They didn't have an option for paypal payment so I used my credit card number instead. I'm not saying they are the culprits but I wonder if their system has been compromised?

EDIT: looking at Radical RC website again and it clearly says they accept paypal but I didn't get that option during checkout. It directed me to pay by credit card instead when I made a purchase few days ago.
nartac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got hit myself. A charge for $300 for airline tix in Budapest. I dont even know where Budapest is!! I use my card for everything, but the only Hobby Stores I've used at were amainhobbies, readyheli and HeliDirect. I try to use PayPal to avoid this, but not all sites accept it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you should find out where it is before you go You might just get hungary and not have capital to buy food.

If a site does not offer PayPal go somehere else there are always places that offer it.
gmo1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 02:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmo1 View Post
I think you should find out where it is before you go You might just get hungary and not have capital to buy food.

If a site does not offer PayPal go somehere else there are always places that offer it.
Haha.....slick!! Well, if I do get Hungary, I'll make sure to Pay my Pal for the food next time!

Old 01-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, about 18mos ago my cards were compromised. They usually (scammers) go after the big credit card processing sites rather than the local/online retailers. Most of the local/online retailers go thru these processing companies and I think the one that got compromised on the east coast was in Georgia or Tenn... ???

A good idea is to setup fraud alerts/protection for your cards. I have mine setup for key transaction limits online and they notify me when any transaction meets that criteria. Yeah a pain, but it gives me a piece of mind. When mine did get compromised, I immediately did some checking online and found orders/pending charges and called the online company up right away. I knew the CC company wouldn't investigate this as fast and I helped the woman at HP track and stop 3 laptops that were ready to ship out and she was very, very thankful.

Good luck and keep an eye on ALL your CC transactions... debit cards too now I hear.... arrggg I hate scammers!

Matt
mattm55 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm55 View Post
Yeah, about 18mos ago my cards were compromised. They usually (scammers) go after the big credit card processing sites rather than the local/online retailers. Most of the local/online retailers go thru these processing companies and I think the one that got compromised on the east coast was in Georgia or Tenn... ???

A good idea is to setup fraud alerts/protection for your cards. I have mine setup for key transaction limits online and they notify me when any transaction meets that criteria. Yeah a pain, but it gives me a piece of mind. When mine did get compromised, I immediately did some checking online and found orders/pending charges and called the online company up right away. I knew the CC company wouldn't investigate this as fast and I helped the woman at HP track and stop 3 laptops that were ready to ship out and she was very, very thankful.

Good luck and keep an eye on ALL your CC transactions... debit cards too now I hear.... arrggg I hate scammers!

Matt
Matt,

How do you setup this credit card fraud alert? Through your credit card company?

Cain
nartac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got a free PP mastercard. I use it anywhere online that doesn't accept PP directly. You pay no fees for using it, and the funds come out of the PP account. If the PP account doesn't have enough funds, it is taken out of the linked checking account. So in essence, it is a debit card but linked to PP.
AMA #934662
caralmar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I have both Chase and AMEX fraud alerts thru their respective websites. I can get alerts by ph, txt or email and on specific limits.

I setup alerts for online tx's, balance thresholds, etc... so I get a bunch of alerts (do alot of charging for points) but after getting hacked, its no bother at all.

Your CC companies options may vary but definitely worth setting up if available. Mine told me I would only be held accountable for the first $50 but they waved it. In the end, they did get one laptop out of 4 ordered but at least they had the shipped address (a CA address no less and I'm in NY) Go figure....

Hope that info helps? We all pay for these scams one way or another... Argggg

Matt
mattm55 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

An update to my situation:

I was hit with another fraudulent charge on the new card I received. This will be the 2nd time in 3 weeks with two separate cards. I have this pinned to HeliDirect. They are the only company that I have used the new card with. They are the common denominator.

I called to cancel my new card and I also called HeliDirect to let them know. I can't say that this is being done intentionally by anyone there, but my bank told me that the purchase that they made on my account they had to know my home address also. HeliDirect has that on file. YOU be the Judge!!

I'm gonna post this in a new thread also so everyone is aware.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi from Cyprus.
I don't know how things work there on the other side of the pond but:
I have a dedicated Internet card for online shopping....no magnetic strip...
Put funds I the card and pay....otherwise there are only 2 euros in the acc...so nothing to be stolen.
When a payment is made...an SMS informs me immediately on my bobble of the amount.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wife and I were both hit. Common is HELIDIRECT!!!

She ordered an xmas present for me from HELIDIRECT and 3 weeks later...her CC fraud dept called her.

I get a call from my CC company fraud dept and only transactions were from HELIDIRECT.

coupester is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same here
Helidirect!
Fullonoob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm thinking we should start a new thread bringing to attention that helidirect's database may have been compromised???

NOT "officially" pointing the finger at helidirect but, just to bring to light our suspicions.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupester View Post
Wife and I were both hit. Common is HELIDIRECT!!!

She ordered an xmas present for me from HELIDIRECT and 3 weeks later...her CC fraud dept called her.

I get a call from my CC company fraud dept and only transactions were from HELIDIRECT.

Were the purchases made online using the same computer? If so then you could have a keylogger on your computer.

Dogs come when called. Cats take a message and get back to you later.
Cailid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Used Helidirect

I have purchased several items at several different times from them, using my CC and no problems yet (knock on wood). I think you may have a keylogger.
FINCLOSER is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nope. 3 different machines...2 of which are macs. Also, not in the same geo locations. I usually do orders at work which is a mac.

I'm in the IT sector and I'm usually are extra cautious with my machines. Now with that being said, their backend servers could be infected and their customer database may have been compromised.

The fact being, never had this happen until I started ordering from Helidirect. Also, with other HF members reporting the same issue. Too much of a coincidence that my wife never had any issues until her 1 order with Helidirect.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

After the whole Sony PSN getting hacked thing I switched to a pre paid NetSpend Visa card for all of my online transactions. Let them try and get anything off it. It only has an available balance when I load it up to make a purchase. Free text messages every time money is added or deducted from the card within a minute.

IMO it's the safest way to use a CC online.

PM me for your soldering and mSR X BL build needs.
burnoutboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

damn that stinks helidirect is where i order most stuff, time for a change
Old 01-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Fear the Spork!!

Yikes! Someone call HD and let them know! they are a major retailer and a major advertiser at helifreak
Old 01-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had my debit card compromised this week...the first time I've ever had an issue all the years I've been making purchases online! I was had for almost $500!

The only place I purchased anything online from the last month or so was indeed from my sponsor!

Now that I've seen this thread, I'm starting to also wonder if Helidirect's server/customer database has been hacked!

I'm gonna bring it up on our private FB team page as see if anyone at the home office can look into the matter...
Outrage Velocity 50N2 FBL, OS 55HZ, Beast X
memosteve is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in