Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 500/570

SAB Goblin 500/570 SAB Heli Division - Goblin 500/570 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2016, 03:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool Goblin 570 build

Hello guys, I am new to the Goblins so would need some of your valuable advice, I just want to have everything on hand when I start the build (hope that will be in the near future). So after some not very extensive research I came up with the following 12s setup, just because I can use my existing Turnigy 3000mAh lipos (hope they will fit) from the Align Trex 500CF.

Flight Style: 3D, target headspeed 2400 - 2500 rpm

Goblin 570 kit
+ maybe Lynx main gear and landing gear

FBL System: Spartan Vortex Vx1e (already own that one)
Reciever: 2x Spektrum sats (already own them)
Motor: XNova 4025-560kv
Pulley: 23T
ESC: Hobbywing 100HV V3; Jive 120hv with internal BEC
BEC: Hercules Super BEC G2; Gryphon Quasar; Hercules Super BEC mini; Optiguard
Governor: Vx1e or ESC gov
Cyclic Servos: 3x KST 815
Tail Servo: KST 805X
LiPos: 2x Turnigy 6s 3Ah 30C; 2x Turnigy 6s 3Ah 25C; 2x Zippy 2800 30C

The batteries have the XT60 connectos I hope thats enough for a 12s setup so I can still use them with the Trex 500.

Becs I have no idea which one to choose, which one is better for this particular heli?

Hope the ESC is good enough for the purpose. I have the Hobbywing 50A V3 installed on the Oxy 3 and its a great esc, can I expect the same performance from the 100A HV esc?

I have no idea about this scale motors either. I want a powerful and reliable (big bearings) motor but I don't want an amp thirsty monster, any particular suggestions and KV ratings for the 12s setup?

Any other spares or tools/calibration tools I need to know about before starting the build other than the obvious thread locker and hex wrenches.

Any other advice or suggestion is welcome! Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by Mateyhv; 07-13-2016 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: Updating the info...
Mateyhv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2016, 04:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default my opinion

Goblin 570 is a very good heli, don't need any upgrade, if you don't want.
But I like tunnings, My goblin full of lynx and heli option upgrade
I like the motor holder, main gear, lynx swashplate, lynx tail upper case, heli option tail slider is very good and accurate.
Heli option rod is a good choice too.
If you care about how looks your heli I recomended the metal landing gears.
If you like DFC head, you can replaced it with Lynx [ I don't. ].

Motor: Xnova.
I don't like Scorpion, too hot, need to oil it.
Xnova has a good efficienty, and a good cooling.
I'm using Xnova 4020-1000Kv on my Goblin 550. I really like it.
My friend has KDE on his Goblin 570, that's a good choice too.

ESC: HobbyWing Platinum 100HV V3. That's a good choice, cheap and hearing a lot of good feedback.
Maybe you can try the new V4 HW ESC. But that's more money.
I don't know how big is the Platinum HV 130A V4, you need to check.

BEC: Hercules is a very good BEC. I'm using his little brother (mini).
I think enough the G2 for you, but there is no big difference in the price, so your choice.
HeadHunter86 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

kontronik pyro 650-62 is an opinion?
Kontronik Jive 120HV esc?

i fly that setup and its great!

XT60 is not enough man!
i wanted to use XT90 and one guy that makes helis for a famous brand said to me he wouldnt do that.

So goldcontacts with around 5.5mm or 6mm is the way to go.
baked1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The HW 100 HV ESC is what I use. I typically average 60-80A and have spiked as high at 110A on my 12S setup. the Hobbywing is more than enough for it and has been rock solid for me. For connectors, I use XT150s on mine to be safe. I personally would go with something bigger than the XT60s, but it's your choice. I've watched a heli crash from desoldering and it's ugly. It just dropped from the air while inverted 30 feet up.

I'm using a Gryphon Quasar BEC on mine and have been happy with it. Just another option.

Since the 570 is designed for 6s 5000 or running 12s, you're batteries should have no problem fitting.

I only have one upgrade part on mine, quick release canopy mounts from SHS. The stock screw in ones suck. They're made from soft metal and are easily cross threaded. Also, Goblin canopies can be finicky. I wish you could drill your own holes. But the tight canopy fitment and the screw in mounts add up to some real frustration. I'm not sure if you can still get the SHS ones, but SAB has released some as well (disclaimer, I have not tried these) http://www.anythingheli.com/sab-quic...oblin-500-570/

The only other upgrade I can think of that might be necessary is if you bought an older kit, the original main gears were not up to snuff. After the original run, SAB fixed them and I've been running one of those for 2 years with no issues.

As for motor, I'm using a Savox and have been happy with it. Xnovas as mentioned before are also a very solid choice of motor. I have one in another heli and it's probably the best motor I've owned. I've seen the Savox in the classifieds going pretty cheap because they're not as common.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Answer goes in blue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter86 View Post
Goblin 570 is a very good heli, don't need any upgrade.......

Thanks, thats a great info man!!! I took note of all the upgrades you suggested, its good to know which part can be added in the future, Lynx is great for upgrades! My Oxy3 testifies about their exceptional quality

Motor: Xnova.
I'm using Xnova 4020-1000Kv on my Goblin 550. I really like it.
My friend has KDE on his Goblin 570, that's a good choice too.

Ok, I have discarded Scorpion, isn't Xnova 1000kv too high for a HV setup? Which KDE should I look for?

ESC: HobbyWing Platinum 100HV V3. That's a good choice, cheap and hearing a lot of good feedback.
Maybe you can try the new V4 HW ESC. But that's more money.
I don't know how big is the Platinum HV 130A V4, you need to check.

I guess 100Amp in HV is plenty of power for a 570 size heli. I don't know whats the difference with the V4 but if there is no 100A HV V4 I will stick with the V3 instead.

BEC: Hercules is a very good BEC. I'm using his little brother (mini).
I think enough the G2 for you, but there is no big difference in the price, so your choice.

I discarded the mini because its is 10A continuous vs 15A of the G2. However the connections on the G2 will need more wiring, not a big deal though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baked1 View Post
kontronik pyro 650-62 is an opinion?

i fly that setup and its great!

Thanks baked1, I have gone through the price list of the Kontroniks and they cost almost the same as the Goblin kit itself I guess there is no need for such an expense given the Hobbywings are great controllers.

XT60 is not enough man!
i wanted to use XT90 and one guy that makes helis for a famous brand said to me he wouldnt do that.

So goldcontacts with around 5.5mm or 6mm is the way to go.

You are correct, what I thought was to solder one end of an Y harness to the ESC and the other two ends to one of each XT60. In that configuration the connectors wont be overloaded as the sum of both will provide 120Amps. However I am new to HV setups so I am not sure if thats the correct way to plug the sistem, e.g. one battery (22.2v) and than the other (44.4v). Maybe they need to be connected together and than plugged to the ESC providing 44.4v for correct initalization? If so in the main joint I will go with the EC5 connectors.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Xnova 1000kv too high for a HV setup?
That's my motor on my stretched Goblin 500 6S setup. Sorry, If I confused you

Quote:
Which KDE should I look for?
KDE 550-565KV

Quote:
My opinion the Kontronik ESC is the best choice
Kontronik has Freewheel.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateyhv View Post
You are correct, what I thought was to solder one end of an Y harness to the ESC and the other two ends to one of each XT60. In that configuration the connectors wont be overloaded as the sum of both will provide 120Amps. However I am new to HV setups so I am not sure if thats the correct way to plug the sistem, e.g. one battery (22.2v) and than the other (44.4v). Maybe they need to be connected together and than plugged to the ESC providing 44.4v for correct initalization? If so in the main joint I will go with the EC5 connectors.
For a 12S setup, the two 6S packs are wired in series, which means the total voltage is indeed 44.4V, but each pack and its connector is subjected to the full current which is drawn by the ESC+motor combination.

In other words, there will be up to ~80A continuous flowing through each battery connector, and that is beyond the limit of what an XT60 can safely handle. It would be a shame to have to dial down the entire heli for the sake of not replacing connectors worth a few bucks, so EC5 is a good idea. If you prefer the XT-style connectors, there's a XT90.
H2SO4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2016, 10:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeber View Post
The HW 100 HV ESC is what I use. I typically .....
Thank you very much for the input JWeber, you are right, I will look for higher capacity connectors, my electronics knowledge is a little bit rusty The quick release are of great value, I know learned that from the Trex 500, the stock grommets were horrible and tended to pop in fast back flight... added Helioption quick release and it was day and night difference. Will check the ones you suggested!

Quote:
That's my motor on my stretched Goblin 500 6S setup. Sorry, If I confused you
KDE 550-565KV
My opinion the Kontronik ESC is the best choice
Kontronik has Freewheel.
No problem, thanks for the link your posts are of great value! At the moment I can't justify the expense of the Kontronic although I know they are among the best esc in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
For a 12S setup, the two 6S packs are wired in series, which means the total voltage is indeed 44.4V, but each pack and its connector is subjected to the full current which is drawn by the ESC+motor combination....
Man you are totaly right! I was thinking in parallel rather than in series excuse me. Yes bigger connectors than XT60 are a must!
Old 07-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

For a 12S setup, a kv for your motor in the mid 500s would be appropriate. 530-575. My Savox is 550kv. Make sure you have the correct pinion for the headspeed you want.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

jive 120hv around 200euros (not new).
i think thats okey and you can take it out for an 600 or 700 size helicopter when you want to

but Hobbywing is fine
baked1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2016, 06:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
i think thats okey and you can take it out for an 600 or 700 size helicopter when you want to

but Hobbywing is fine
That's my opinion too! Second hand Jive 120HV is the best choice.
If you buy later a bigger heli, don't need to buy a new ESC. 120HV more than enough for the 570
Old 07-08-2016, 06:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The correct Xnova for a 12S G570 would be the 4025-560kv. As for the pinion, a 21t with a 560kv motor gives you 2200-2300 max.I'd go for a 22t to get a solid 2300rpm (that's where it comes alive on 570's)

As for the ESC, Hobbywing 100HV is fine.

Stock canopy system is thumb screws and its pretty aweful. I highly recommend the SHS quick release system.

And yeah XT60 are not enough.

Idk about the upgraded kit, the only thing you need is either the lynx main gear or the SAB 2 part gear that's a similar design (not sure if it comes in the kit now).

Can't help on the BEC, I went the cheap way and use a 2S 1300 lipo (75g). 20min flight time and it's down to 50%.
Aryemis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I run:

YGE 120hv
KDE XF600 530
Gryphon bec
Optipower ultra guard.

Works great - pretty much unboggable at 2350+
Old 07-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

Quote:
For a 12S setup, a kv for your motor in the mid 500s would be appropriate. 530-575. My Savox is 550kv. Make sure you have the correct pinion for the headspeed you want.
I am slightly biased toward Xnova however there are two too close KV motors the 4025-560kv and the 4025-670kv. I guess I will be interested in 2400 to 2500 rpm range so could you tell me which one would be the better choice?

Quote:

but Hobbywing is fine
I have done a little research and to complicate things there are three different ESC with that title: Jive 120hv, Helijive 120hv and a Jive 120hv Pro. I have seen a Jive 120hv for about 260$ but I am not sure if its the one you refered to nor I do know the difference between the above models. The good thing is it has an internal BEC, and if its reliable and has enough power the price almost equals a HW esc + external quality BEC. I may think about that.

Quote:
That's my opinion too! Second hand Jive 120HV is the best choice.
If you buy later a bigger heli, don't need to buy a new ESC. 120HV more than enough for the 570
Lol, I don't think I will ever go any bigger but that was a good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryemis View Post
The correct Xnova for a 12S G570 would be the 4025-560kv. As for the pinion, a 21t with a 560kv motor gives you 2200-2300 max.I'd go for a 22t to get a solid 2300rpm (that's where it comes alive on 570's)

As for the ESC, Hobbywing 100HV is fine.

Stock canopy system is thumb screws and its pretty aweful. I highly recommend the SHS quick release system....

...Idk about the upgraded kit, the only thing you need is either the lynx main gear or the SAB 2 part gear that's a similar design (not sure if it comes in the kit now).

Can't help on the BEC, I went the cheap way and use a 2S 1300 lipo (75g). 20min flight time and it's down to 50%.
Relating to the HS same question as in point 1 above. The quick release is definitely something I would love to install. The Lynx main gear is out of stock so I hope SAB has solved their issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Freak View Post
I run:

YGE 120hv
KDE XF600 530
Gryphon bec
Optipower ultra guard.

Works great - pretty much unboggable at 2350+
I have no experience with any YGE esc, where would you fit it into the current esc market? If its reliable it might also be an option. The Optiguard is something I will think about either! Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-09-2016, 08:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is a really useful head speed calc that will help you pick a motor.

http://calc.kfmconsulting.se/
Old 07-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
This is a really useful head speed calc that will help you pick a motor.

http://calc.kfmconsulting.se/
Thank you, Jweber. Basically I can choose either, I have the theory (might be wrong) that the 670kv uses a higher reduction ratio to achieve the same HS so it will be easier to recover and maintain the targeted speed than the lower reduction ratio of a 560kv motor. However it seems that the 670kv draws a higher amperage so maybe there is a trade off and doesn't matter too much which one to choose.

That been said I have a better deal on the 670kv.

Specs of Xnova 4025 range motors
Old 07-11-2016, 04:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateyhv View Post
Thank you, Jweber. Basically I can choose either, I have the theory (might be wrong) that the 670kv uses a higher reduction ratio to achieve the same HS so it will be easier to recover and maintain the targeted speed than the lower reduction ratio of a 560kv motor. However it seems that the 670kv draws a higher amperage so maybe there is a trade off and doesn't matter too much which one to choose.

That been said I have a better deal on the 670kv.

Specs of Xnova 4025 range motors
I think the key here is that the 4025-670 is designed for 10S (which is why it states 80A for the max (80x10x3.7=~3000W), instead of 68A for the 4025-560 which is for 12S (68*12*3.7=~3000W).

I'd guess the 670kv would be more powerful, but you'd have to ask Xnova, you may pull too much power running the Xnova 4025-670 on 12S (and potentially burn it).
Also keep in mind, the smaller motor pulley, the more likely it is to slip. You could run a 20t for 2500rpm, but not much smaller without having issues.

And honestly the 4025-560kv is absolutely fine power wise. It can handle true 600 blades no problem, so on 570's it'll be fine.
Aryemis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2016, 04:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryemis View Post
I think the key here is that the 4025-670 is designed for 10S (which is why it states 80A for the max (80x10x3.7=~3000W), instead of 68A for the 4025-560 which is for 12S (68*12*3.7=~3000W).

I'd guess the 670kv would be more powerful, but you'd have to ask Xnova, you may pull too much power running the Xnova 4025-670 on 12S (and potentially burn it).
Also keep in mind, the smaller motor pulley, the more likely it is to slip. You could run a 20t for 2500rpm, but not much smaller without having issues.

And honestly the 4025-560kv is absolutely fine power wise. It can handle true 600 blades no problem, so on 570's it'll be fine.
Thanks for the tips Aryemis, I didn't thought about the 10s possibility, I am still thinking in 6s and 12s only, lol. Didn't thought about the pulley issue either. From the HS Calculator 19T mounted on the 670kv is enough for the 2350-2550rpm range. For that same range 23T pulley is needed in case the 560kv motor is installed. I think that one will be my best option

By the way, is there any tool inlcuded in the kit for setting zero pitch or should I buy one?
Old 07-12-2016, 05:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Goblin 570 build

You can set zero pitch by folding the blades back and make sure they align to each other. Do his after you've levelled your swash. Also the head has some markings on that will help you get it in the ballpark
Old 07-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiannakas View Post
You can set zero pitch by folding the blades back and make sure they align to each other. Do his after you've levelled your swash. Also the head has some markings on that will help you get it in the ballpark
Actualy that was what I wanted to know, do I need to buy a dedicated swash leveler or is it already included with the kit?

Last edited by Mateyhv; 07-13-2016 at 06:52 PM..

Tags
new build, sab goblin 570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in