Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G3

4G3 Walkera 4G3 Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 01:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ver.3 2 gram tail conversion

I picked up the conversion and installed it today! What a sweet set up. One thing, it doesn't come with any instructions. In case anybody is interrested in picking up one of these, the ECS that comes with the conversion is for the tail motor alone, not a replacement for the existing ECS. I wasn't sure where to put it so I stuck it on the bottom of the battery holder. This really worked out well as when I was done and checked the balance it was spot on! Assembly was pretty straight forward. There are 3 wires comming off the motor. When I first looked at it in the package I thought it must be a clump of epoxy or something. When installing the motor, first, install the vertical fin as the motor blocks off the mounting point. Then, the motor goes into the holder. It has a slot for the 3 wires comming off of it so the wires fit perfectly into this slot. After that it's just a matter of soldering the tiny ass wires for the tail to ECS and plug the wire into the ECS.
I didn't buy the 2.9 gram tail becaues of 2 reasons; 1. the cost and 2. I was worried about the added weight on the tail and how it would affect balance. I can see where the larger motor would really be beneficial in serious 3d flying, but I can't do that yet.

I haven't flown it yet. I ran out of time and had to go to work, ( have to support this hobby somehow ). I did spool it up and the very first thing I had to do was center the rudder trim!!! I mean, what the hell, center the rudder trim on a 4g3, who ever heard of such a thing? shifting the trim left to right and the tail responds without question. I got it light on the skids and bounced around in the rotor wash and she stayed wherever I put it.

Now I can't wait to finish doing a thorough set-up and take it for a flight. I anticipate nothing but good things. I'll keep everybody posted.
Tomstoy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

interested to see how it performs. Personaly, I am more interested in upgrading the tail and getting rid of those little gears than upgrading the main motor. I am very new to this, but seems to me that an inconsistent tail rotor is more of a problem than an inconsistent main rotor.

Interested in seeing how robust that motor is, crash wise.
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

got any pictures. i just got mine and i need a step by step
crashandburnt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 01:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

No, no pictures, but have no fear, I can walk you thru it.

1. mount the vertical stabilizer to the tail block. It mounts onto the same side the motor slides into, and must be mounted first. Remember, with the tail facing toward you the motor mounts onto the right side so make sure the vertical stabilizer is facing long end down.

2. Push in the motor into the block, motor wires go thru the slot in the block for them. Secure with supplied screw.

3. mount tail block to boom and secure it also.

4. Solder the damn tiny-ass wires. Don't worry about what wire solders to what, if it turns backwards you just flip the plug where it plugs into the ECS. Don't bother trying to route the wires thru the boom, that will just cause you to kick the dog. . I wrapped mine repeatedly around the boom and then secured it front and back with a small piece of tape.

5. Mount ther ECS. DO NOT remove the old ESC. The new one is just for the tail motor. I never figured out a good place to put it so I just mounted it on the bottom of the battery box. This worked out really well as it kept my heli in balance.The sticky pad won't hold up so I put a little CA glue on it besides and let it dry well. I figure if I need to replace the battery box the sticky pad will rip off and I can then just use another piece.

6. The double plug wire, the double end plugs into both ECS's and the other end then connects to your battery.

7. The little single white wire plugs into you reciever in the tail mot.sig port, ( left side second from top ), white wire facing up, just like the others on that side.

And there you have it, simple.

I really like mine. It appears to hold very well, and the trim tab on the stock reciever is centered.

I haven't flown it yet, I had some head issues to work out. I hope to fly it tomorrow, but just spinning it up on the ground I have FULL authority in both directions.

You WILL rapidly drain a 400ma battery now so plan on upgrading to 500ma. I know some people try 600's but I haven't as every gram of weight is critical, but I live at over 5000 feet in altitude so if you are in thicker air it probably won't make a difference.

Hope this helps you out, let me know how it comes out and what you think.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomstoy View Post
II didn't buy the 2.9 gram tail becaues of 2 reasons; 1. the cost and 2. I was worried about the added weight on the tail and how it would affect balance. I can see where the larger motor would really be beneficial in serious 3d flying, but I can't do that yet.
I don't know about you, but in my part of the planet 3.2 grams are heavier than 2.9 grams.

(Sorry I couldn't resist!)
Old 08-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry for your confusion. It's a version 3, 2gram motor. Guess I should have hit the space bar a few more times.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

so Tomstoy, how is it working out? Does it fly better?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wish I could give a better review, but I really can't. My head is pretty shot so I'm having issues just hovering right now. Too many crashes into walls. All I can honestly say is that it appears to be fine. My trim is in the center, it will hold a hover and I don't need to mess with the rudder when doing it, but my head has way too much slop in it so just hovering takes all my concentration.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

what v3 2g motor? where'd you get it?
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
AtTheCross is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross View Post
what v3 2g motor? where'd you get it?
Terence at CJ has it.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Could you be more specific ? CJ ? Are we speaking of china jade? I was going to order the "high tail" version kit. is that the one?-- thanks....Also if I go with that kit and in addition to my brushless main..... how long is battery life? --
gcshelipilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcshelipilot View Post
Could you be more specific ? CJ ? Are we speaking of china jade? I was going to order the "high tail" version kit. is that the one?-- thanks....Also if I go with that kit and in addition to my brushless main..... how long is battery life? --
That's exactly what I'm talking about... here's the link:
http://www.chinesejade.com/walkera43UpGrade.htm

You can install the tail motor in any configuration you want, the kit sold on the link in the inline with the boom config.
Don't know how long battery life is, personally I've installed the 2.9 g version.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can also go to wow hobbys. Battery life with a 400mah is about 4 minutes. Order the 500mah. There is also a 600 but I don't know what the dimensions are or if it will fit, kind of doubt it without mods, plus, remember the weight.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just ordered a 2g tail today. As I figure, I can always up grade if I feal I need the 2.9g. $35 for the 2g, $65 for the 2.9, and $50 for the upgrade, worst case I waste twenty bucks if I have to upgrade to the 2.9g. Best case the 2g is enough for me and I save thirty bucks. I'll post next week how it works out.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i'm runnig the 2g, i've run the 2.9g as well and kinda like the 2g better, that extra .9g hangin off the tail makes a difference when you crash. and right now there are better holders for the 2g motor. on the 2.9g motor there is not a lot of materieal to mount so the motor pops out a lot and you end up snapping wires

where are you getting those prices from? seem a little high
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
AtTheCross is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

wow hobbies, I should have said $35 for the 2g upgrade KIT (esc, motor,. . . ). $65 for the 2.9g KIT, and $50 for the KIT to upgrade from 2 to 2.9g.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in