Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Odin and 3D+

Odin and 3D+ Compass Odin and 3D+ Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ODIN FBL with 7HV Head and KBDD EE 112mm Tail Blades

More old geezer flying:

[ame]http://youtu.be/b7LnWhOlshY[/ame]

Sorry it is up so high for much of the flight.

Thank you to my friends TailBender, who shot the video and Danny Mattox, who spotted for me.
(how both managed to stay awake while I flew out an entire tank of fuel is beyond me-I was sure I heard snoring at one point).

The 7HV head with TracX Delrin drive tubes works great on the Odin. I would still like a bit more main blade to tail boom clearance, but it is better than the way some machines come from the factory.

The Odin is very locked in and quick with the BeastX on it (even with Radix "Stick Banger FB blades on it). The tail control with the KBDD EE Tail Blades is superb!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am getting ready to do this conversion myself. After a couple of months, do you have any suggestions on things you would do or not do for someone doing the conversion? Are you using the Odin main shaft or the 7hv?

Thanks,
Greg
Compass 7HV
pete best is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

The shaft is a cut down 7HV shaft. It is only slightly longer than the Odin main shaft.

The determining factor for the shaft length was the distance of the main blade tips to the tail boom. That is also why I used TracX 600 sized Delrin Drive Tubes, as they are the longest ones that Compass makes.

This is an outstanding flying helicopter, by the way.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Haha...you should let me have a crack at it next time I'll trade you a flight on my newest edition
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mr. Worx,

That can be arranged, sir!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have put the RJX 700 head on my Odin, and it works great with the stock main shaft - it is a bit lower to the boom (3/8 inch) than the stock FB head, but I have no boom strikes since the conversion - Mikado Blue Fullsize Vbar

it is my Favorite Nitro Heli. Folks have marveled at the power.

Does anyone have a Clutch bell and bolts they are willing to part with?

http://www.rjxhobby.com/en/pro_detail.asp?id=1424
Old 03-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So I got a few test flights today with this upgrade. I am using the stock odin main shaft. I got insane ground resonance when landing. It almost ate itself alive. I raised the head up using the lower bolt hole, lengthened my delrin rods out, and tried it again. Same result. More broken links and bent twisted metal. I gave up and went home.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Compass 7HV
Old 03-24-2013, 02:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

How high is the head from the helicopter frame? I know you raised it, but I wonder how close our two machines, are..

Mine had the ground resonance issue when it was flybarred.

I have not experienced it since the conversion to FBL.

From the past difficulties with the ground resonance, when I touch down, I leave the pitch at neutral, hit throttle hold and let it spool down. If it should start and form of oscillation, I increase the collective slightly (learned this from Dave K).

If you pull negative collective, at least when it was flybarred, it would make the oscillation worse. As a matter of course, I never put in any negative after touching down.

Not sure if you did or not Gregg, but just something I thought I would mention.

Which blades are you running? I am using Radix flybarred Stick Bangers on mine. These are fairly light, so it might lower the overall vertical CG a bit.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using the RJX head, the blades are 150mm above the boom. I too had Ground Res, but now I land auto style. Come into a hover above the pad and hit throttle hold. As she spins down, raise the pitch until it wont fly any more and it settles onto the pad with no resonance. This technique basically lowers the the Headspeed before touchdown.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm using compass blades, I have some vblades too but I'm afraid to try them now.
I always auto when I land, but I don't really know if I applied negative collective when it happened. Fear took over and I could have done anything as my heli was dismantling itself on the landing pad. I need to get out to my shop to measure the head height but have a bad case of the lazy-bones today
Compass 7HV
Old 03-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK, so from the top of the upper bearing block to centerline on the spindle I have 110 cm. A little over 150cm from the top of the tailboom to the blades. I'm going to start tearing things apart and see if I find something weird.

Is that about the same height as yours Ah Chlem?
Compass 7HV
Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pete,

I will get mine out and measure it.

As I recall, the head is only a few mm higher than with a stock main shaft.

I don't know if this is enough to make a difference in the tap-dancing on landing.

That, plus the very light blades, might be what makes the difference between our two ships.

You can see may landing bounces a bit at the end of the video (my bad landing) but does not enter into ground resonance. so I am thinking something is a bit different.

UPDATE: I found another thread, from when I first finished the Odin with the 7HV head-in that thread, I had measured the distance from the blade tip to the boom at 6.25" (158.75mm). My boom is pulled up slightly at the rear.

Can you measure the distance from the blade tip to the boom, sir?
Old 03-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I left it in a hover several inches off the ground yesterday, thinking I would hold it off the ground as long as possible to see if I could prevent the shakes and it did it in the air bad enough that it still popped the links off the swash. Very strange. I checked the main shaft and feathering shaft, both are perfect. Lubed up my dampners, tried another set of blades, but I'm afraid to try my v=blades because I don't want to lose them.

I need to try a 7hv main shaft I guess. My blades are only 148mm from the boom at the tip of them.
Compass 7HV
Old 03-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Crap, just pulled my 7hv main shaft out and realized it's drilled wrong. I will have to wait to try drilling a new hole at work for the main gear bolt.
Compass 7HV
Old 03-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gregg,

I re-read one of your previous posts. It looks like my head may be about 8mm higher than yours sir (measuring from the top of the boom to the blade tip).

As 5mm makes a difference on the 6HV, I am wondering if 8mm makes enough of a difference on the Odin (the difference in the oscillation tendencies of our machines would tend to support this, I think).

I cut a 7HV shaft to length to fit properly with the TracX Drive Tubes (i.e. get zero pitch without changing my swashplate height, then drilled a new hole in the shaft in the appropriate location. The goal was to get the 7HV head as high as possible-my concern at the time being the potential for boom strikes (there were rampant threads about DFC boom strikes at the time I was modifying my Odin, and I did not want to make the same mistake as one manufacturer in getting the main shaft to short). It may have worked in my favor with regard to the oscillations as well.

Please continue to keep us posted on your progress, sir.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

New main shaft installed today adding 10mm of height to the head. Absolutely perfect!! Landed it twice to make sure. Not so much as a wobble. I never would have believed it, especially since it did it in the air as well as on the ground. Delrin rods are stretched to the max, and swash links are stretched pretty good too. I added a 5mm spacer to the anti-rotation link and a longer bolt so I could bring them all up. I'm tempted to try an anti-rotation bracket off my 3d plus so I can use regular links and rods on all 3 swash links so I can bring the swash plate up more. I'm very happy with the conversion now, I'm just nervous with everything stretched so far. I have a set of the tracx delrin rods for the 600 head ordered hoping they are a little longer than the 6hv/3d plus ones. Thanks for the help Mr. Chlem
Compass 7HV
Old 04-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Greg,

" Thanks for the help Mr. Chlem"

You are most welcome, but please thank Mr. Ketelhut-he was the one that first commented on the relationship of head height/vertical CG and the role it plays in defeating the tendency towards oscillation on the 6HV and Odin.

Sounds like your ship it flying about like mine now, and I could not be more pleased with mine!

By the way, the TracX Drive tubes are 5mm longer than the 6HV ones.

Last edited by Ah Clem; 04-03-2013 at 09:20 AM..
Ah Clem is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Odin has been sitting since my friend Mike took the video (since the HF Fun Fly last October).

I don't fly it very often, due to concern over parts (although I have stockpiled quite a few.

I took it out yesterday and flew it. Other than the fact that the engine was a it balky, it flew just fine, so it is ready for the San Diego Fun Fly next week!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in