Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default My 500 3d just survived a crash!

I was out flying earlier, and on my third battery pack I was doing tick tocks, and my pitch management wasn't as sharp as it should have been. Anyways, I was toward the end of a 3300 25c nano tech, Inverted in a tick tock, I messed up on the collective and the helicopter plummets out of sight over the edge of the bank just 35 meters in front of me.

I guess my fingers are just used to reacting to these kinds of situations, because I don't know exactly what I did (aside from immediately hitting throttle hold), but I got it upright and saw it rise up above the bank and back into sight again!

I quickly released throttle hold to try to get some power back, but the 500 3d drifted back out of sight as it had been autoing for at least 10 seconds by now. I re-engaged TH and tilted the swash away from the direction it was falling.

I walk down the bank to check the damage and check it out, and I am amazed. I found it on its side with (as far as I can see) everything completely intact. I have checked everything except the feathering shaft. I have metal main grips, microheli orange 500 3d canopy. It was almost like someone was standing there and caught it!
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is so cool!
I had a similar experience about a year ago. It was a extremely windy day so i was flying in an abandoned factory, wide indoor spot, but tricky due to lots of pillars. Was setting up a freshly installed FBL, couldn't wait for a calm day.
Was making some small flying, adjusting gains and agility levels and stuff. Then i got satisfied with the results and started having some fun. The spot doesn't has light besides the one that enters from the window so there are quite a few dark areas. I managed to lose the orientation in a dark corner, quite far away,so hit TH.
Then just heard a very loud BANG (the floor is hard cement) that echoed very wildly, and i thought, damn just broke my bird.
Didnt found it right away, cause several little pile of garbage are around the area, which kept me from having a clear view of the ground.
I was starting to get a bit worried, but then i found it, it was perfectly nice, looking at me like nothing happen. What a lucky strike.
The loud bang must have been a blade hitting the floor

Sometimes we are kissed by luck, some not that much
Old 03-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

That story was a good read. Thanks for sharing Luigi! I remember my last crash cost me over $220 and that was last summer. I'm still shocked how close I came to completely wrecking this heli.

I'm moving my fly bar weights further out from now on so hopefully I won't get blown around as much as I did today.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, you got lucky, how is your snow up there?
islrcr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Not much snow here at all. Under an inch.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know the feeling. I was flying my 450 once at an apartment complex I lived at. I would take off from the parking lot and fly over the field on the other side of the wall. I had a failure and did a blind auto rotation. I found it on its side with no damage. What pissed me off is later that night, I tripped over it and damaged it that night.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in