Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > NextD - Rave 450 and 90

NextD - Rave 450 and 90 CJY Rave 450 and 90 Helicopter Kit - ND-YR-K001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Worth getting a Rave 90?

Hi,

I have been in the market for a 700 sized nitro in the past few months and I have really liked how the Rave ENV nitro flies in the Phoenix sim. I noticed that parts support has come back and that airframes are pretty affordable now. I have always wanted a Rave heli and a nitro, so is it safe to say that parts will be around for a little while or should I save for something "newer"?

Thanks for the help!

Brent

2 Align 700xns, Align Trex 700L, Align Trex 500
TeacherBrent is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am probably not the best one to comment since I am rather bias in this area. I have an ENV, Ballistic, Stingray, 2 450's and in the process of building a 635. but, I can guarantee you will not be disappointed in the performance.
sud76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would be a little bias too, however I don't know of a better 700 nitro than the ENV. I am so much happier knowing that parts are available for the Rave line of helis again, love my Ballistic. The ENV and Ballistic are outstanding to fly and have a great presence in the air.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2015, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am probably not the best to ask since I don't have a Nitro heli but I love the Ballistic 700 and 635. They Fly great. The quality is excellent. They are easy to build, durable and easy to work on for repair.

Last edited by Freeskiken; 12-25-2015 at 11:16 PM..
Freeskiken is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2015, 06:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ENV

Buy it and don't look back!!!
Old 12-27-2015, 07:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've held onto my ENV through thick and thin. Seriously glad I did. I've seen and flown alot of different models, and none of them impress me enough to switch. Recently, N7's have taken over our local crowd. Sure, they are kinda nice. However, with all the design quirks... we've encountered problems I've never dealt with before. Plus, N7's with an OS 105 get maybe 6-7minutes of flight time. My ENV with my modified YS91, gets 12 at full bore, and I can stretch it to almost 15 minutes. No lack of power, in fact probably more.

If you want something flashy, sure you can get a new model. But if you want something that flat out works, get a Rave.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought the Rave as my first nitro 700. I have a Whiplash, and subsequent to the Rave bought a Goblin 700. The Rave is still my favorite 700. The Goblin is a better 3D machine, IMHO, simply because it has more power - but it doesn't fly more accurately than the Rave. With parts now available I don't think you will find a better flying 700 nitro. Maybe equivalent, but not better.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm all nitro now and although I have not flown the NX7 im assembling yet so far the Rave ENV is my go to heli. It just plain flies great. I always feel fully in control with it. Im actually hoping the NX7 flies as well as it.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have thought about it but I have never built a Nitro. Wouldn't know what components to use. If I build one it would be the Rave ENV. What is the best motor ?
Old 01-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Freeskiken, that's sort of like asking about the best heli - everyone has an opinion. But for my Rave ENV, I have flown the OS105 HZ-r. I find it to be pretty easy to start, very reliable and very good power. There were some needle issues from the factory (well documented on this site), but I must have had a good one as I never had a problem that a good cleaning of the regulator didn't solve...
Old 01-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is there a big difference in the YS91 and the OS105 ? Other than bore ?

I guess it is like asking chev or ford.

Last edited by Freeskiken; 01-27-2016 at 10:49 PM..
Freeskiken is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2016, 10:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I would get the YS91.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a new ENV I'll be building before to long. My question is, what engine to put in it. I have an OS91 in a TRex 700 I just got running after complete machine (including engine) rebuild. I was thinking of the OS105 since they don't do a 91 any longer. Still learning it's quirks & habits & getting broken in. I like the idea of the same engine on both, for some consistently, but am open to seeing what others think, and wanting to learn what others have done. Gitbse, I see what you noted about your YS91. I'm wondering if that is a better option?? I don't fly 3D, just fly/sport fly, & like the longer run time with adequate power - not trying to build a racer here! Just wondering what the nitro veterans think. I'm experienced with nitro with my planes, but not with these helis, & these engines. I also look for parts availability/reliability etc. Thanks in advance!
JT Whirlybird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2016, 01:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have owned a few O.S.105 Hz-r engines currently have one set up on my Rave, its been pretty much trouble free have around 13 gallons trough it right now its still putting out pretty good power and fires right up.
Trex 500 ESP(DFC) Ikon, Radix] [Goblin 700 CompBK, 4525, Ikon, Helix 695 ] [Rave ENV Nitro O.S 105-R,Ikon,Cyclone] Rave ENV Electric]Scorpion 4525,Ikon, Outrage, SAB [Goblin 500] Ikon Rails 516 ]Blade 180 CFX]Goblin 570 12S Xnova
Blade120 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in