Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Running built in bec of jive80hv

I'm going to change my setup on my logo from running a lifepack to running the jive80hv built-in bec.
Just to be sure, all i do is re-attach the red wire in the throttle lead and add an extra cable from the slave port on the esc to a free port on my rx, right?

How are the experiences with running the built in bec? I'll be running it at default voltage, with simple digital savox servo's.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk HD
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes, just plug the red wire back in and use the extra servo cable on the slave port.

I used the Jive 80HV's bec on my logo 600 for many, many flights and never had any issue with it. I now have a HeliJive 120HV on my Goblin 630 and still use the BEC at 5.6V.

With Savox servos, I would definitely keep the BEC voltage at default of 5.6V since Savox, Align, and JR servos have high back EMF voltages that can cause the Jive's BEC to into protection mode and shutdown. Having a small (800mah or so) 4-cell NiMH buffer pack would be added insurance.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks. I've allready changed it today seems to work like a charm

Old 12-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The JIVE BEC is one of the most reliable pieces of electronic engineering found anywhere in eletric modeling. Run the buffer pack to cover against things like main pack or connection failure, and fly without worries.

Ben Minor
Dr.Ben is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 02:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

How does a bufferpack work again? If i remember correctly, i should just plug it into a free rx port with a switch in between rx and pack?
Allways connect main pack first, then switch on bufferpack? The bufferpack will remain charged by the main pack, right?

Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes. The main thing is to have the buffer packed charged and to keep a routine eye on it. The ESC generally keeps it topped off. You do want ever to fly with a depleted buffer pack because then ESC will try to recharge it. We want power going to the radio, not to actively trying to recover a depleted buffer pack.

Don't overthink this though. Charge the buffer pack, wire it as noted, then go fly.

Ben Minor
Dr.Ben is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks. I was just thinking about one thing. I tried setting up my servo's once with one of those battery holders that hold 4 aa batteries. If i moved a servo to fast, my rx browned out. How come this isn't an issue with a buffer pack? Aren't these also just 4 rechargeable aa batteries in series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kenny, it is a question of the intention behind a buffer pack.

One may be to completely buffer the BEC in case of it fails.

But not here: The reason for a buffer pack is a different one here: The BEC may cut off for emergency reason, if the voltage exceeds a maximum by the back EMF voltages from servos. A JIVE with firmware v9 and up will cut its output for about 250ms and come back if the voltage got below the limit. This would cause brownouts in supplied equipment.
The buffer pack is only there to fill this short gap, not to make an AR on it! The pack will also help to cut voltage peaks what may already completely avoid shutoffs by the BEC monitoring in the ESC.

Read here also.

Tom
Old 12-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

That makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've made the first flights with the built-in bec this weekend. Could it be the tail isn't as tight as with the lifepack? Or am i just imagining...

Old 01-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was thinking of running a scorpion backup guard in combination with the built in kontronik bec. Is that possible?

Old 01-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Youre better off using a nicad bufferpack the scorp backup dosent perform the function that the nicad does on the jive its not only a redundant power source it also helps with peaks and valleys from the servo consumption as DL7uae explained.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in