Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Is It Too Soon???

I bought a Blade 450 3D cheap, for the sole purpose of converting it to FBL, and adding a "Top O' the Line" FBL controller just to play with it. My eyes had initially focused on the HC3Sx which I believe is due to be rebranded as Barvarian Demon 3SX, without much change. Then focussed on the Naza H, but Skootum and Align are coming around too. It seems like all the documentation still sux for all of these, and may be more hassle then it's worth "at this time". I'm not so much concerned about the cost, as long as I know that my money is well spent and, unless someone can convince me otherwise, it's too soon to invest in this "toy". They all seem to need more more work. Spending $600-$1200 on something that we're going to look back at, in a year and say "OMG..what a piece of junk that was", just not sit well with me. I know technology keeps moving forward, so maybe asking for an end product is just a dream that can never be made into reality....

180 CFX, Nano Cpx, Mcpx v2, Mcpx BL, 300X W/ Savox Servos and Don's Wicked, Trex 450L Dominator W/Skookum 720BE and GPS, DX9, (Retired Schluter Scout 60 and Junior 50)
whatevva is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have a look at IKON, you may get inspired.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

First thing is to identify what is your goal concerning your flying.

HC3-SX, BeastX, VBar, SK are considered by many to be the bench mark when it comes to FBL controllers.
Other MFG's are improving their firmware to increase their operational parameters.

Setting up these platforms still requires a good understanding of operation.

Many have instructional videos posted to help you get setup.

A suggestion is that you go to YouTube and view how each one performs and what features they have available.
Then look at the install and setup videos..

Research is key when it comes to these type of choices.

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

To clarify...I have a 300X with a BeastX. Logically my best move would be to buy another, throw the beastX in the 450 and keep the airframe for parts, but I'm looking for something State of the Art, and BeastX isn't even a contender. Self leveling, return home, min height (hard something) is what I'm looking for...just as a toy. It just seems that they all still have issues, that will probably be worked out within the next couple years if they can sell enough "bad"(under developed might be a better word) ones to fund the research. If all I was trying to do, is get a 450 to fly, that's easy. I want it to STAY in the air, and come home when I whistle!!

180 CFX, Nano Cpx, Mcpx v2, Mcpx BL, 300X W/ Savox Servos and Don's Wicked, Trex 450L Dominator W/Skookum 720BE and GPS, DX9, (Retired Schluter Scout 60 and Junior 50)
Old 03-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevva View Post
To clarify...I have a 300X with a BeastX. Logically my best move would be to buy another, throw the beastX in the 450 and keep the airframe for parts, but I'm looking for something State of the Art, and BeastX isn't even a contender. Self leveling, return home, min height (hard something) is what I'm looking for...just as a toy. It just seems that they all still have issues, that will probably be worked out within the next couple years if they can sell enough "bad"(under developed might be a better word) ones to fund the research. If all I was trying to do, is get a 450 to fly, that's easy. I want it to STAY in the air, and come home when I whistle!!
That being said..
And for what your asking.. you'll most likely be looking at either the SK black w/GPS or the upper cost DJI unit to fill your flight requirements.

At a cost starting @ ~ $1,000.00 and up to $1,400.00 +,....
JMHO here, but that's a steep price to be investing into a 450 class machine..
But the nice thing about this hobby ..everyone is free to follow what they believe is in their own best interest.
You may want to consider investing in a good flight sim to be practice.

One thing you will learn...
Even with these flight platforms install, there is no promise or guarantee it will save you..
Electrical or mechanical failure during a flight is common place and no system will save you from this.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
At a cost starting @ ~ $1,000.00 and up to $1,400.00 +,....
JMHO here, but that's a steep price to be investing into a 450 class machine..
But the nice thing about this hobby ..everyone is free to follow what they believe is in their own best interest.
You may want to consider investing in a good flight sim to be practice.
It's just like a nice radio for a car..if i change cars and like the radio, I'll move it to the new one. I have a flight Sim (phoenix) and hate it. More like a video game to me. I know I have to keep playing with it, but I prefer real flight time.

I also know that nothing is 100% and I'm not looking to really protect the heli. Coming from old school mechanical gyros, I find the newer technology fascinating and just want to play with it. Not really worried about planting a 450, as long as I can salvage the electronics

So far, I'm leaning towards the Naza H w/GPS

Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Naza - H does not offer the RTH function you had specified, or have a true or implied "bail out" function.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
The Naza - H does not offer the RTH function you had specified, or have a true or implied "bail out" function.
and so, back to the question.."Is it too soon?" It appears it may be.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Technology never stops progressing and getting more affordable, the fact is you are always buying obsolete technologies.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 02:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1
What your asking for is available @ present time, but is quite expensive and @ present only available from limited sources.

As the market increases for such technology, the price will drop ( it usually does) and become more readily common place.

Last edited by nightflyr; 03-07-2013 at 07:58 AM..
Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

SK720 seems to be the first one to comply with all the parameters that you've set. The cost of SK720+GPS is just under $1k and they seem to be working the quirks out of the pre-production batch that they sold in February, so you may have to wait a month or two for the true production to start flowing through the distribution channels.
Trex 700N Pro fbl, 600N Pro x 2, 450SE v1, 250 v2 fbl, Compass 6HV fbl, Blade 450x, 400, 300x, 130x, mCPx, 120SR, mQx, mSR, Rotor Concepts HPQ1, Walkera CB180Q, CB100, Novus FP, CP, Esky Hunter, Big Lama.
jperkosk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
What your asking for is available @ present time, but is quite expensive and @ present only available from limited sources.

As the market increases for such technology, the price will drop ( it usually does) and become more readily common place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperkosk View Post
SK720 seems to be the first one to comply with all the parameters that you've set. The cost of SK720+GPS is just under $1k and they seem to be working the quirks out of the pre-production batch that they sold in February, so you may have to wait a month or two for the true production to start flowing through the distribution channels.

Thanx guys...this is the kind of info I was looking for. I don't mind waiting to avoid headaches. I did look at the Ace 1, BRIEFLY $3200?? I don't wanna play that hard

Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You could look up the cc3d fc from open pilot has everything your looking for at around 100 bucks
A small board with alot of applications
trex esp 500 fbl
AKPhill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPhill View Post
You could look up the cc3d fc from open pilot has everything your looking for at around 100 bucks
A small board with alot of applications
Almost seems too cheap to be any good..I don't think it had Altitude hold, but I'll keep reading.

Really sounds like waiting for the Skookum is the thing to do.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
they seem to be working the quirks out of the pre-production batch that they sold in February, so you may have to wait a month or two for the true production to start flowing through the distribution channels.
WHAT ? WHO would buy a 'pre-production' set-up for around a thousand bucks ? What's more, what kind of business would sell that for a thousand bucks then be "working the quirks out"?
That is BS, This hobby which I love is unique in that these brilliant electrical/computer engineer types come out with something really impressive, then sell it to buyers with garbage for instructions, oh, sure, lots of "on-line" "help", which means if you have a question or need help they'll get back to you in a few days? Double BS,
Thats why I dumped my Skookum, three times at 3 days or more waiting for an answer,? Then they answered them in a way that could help me zero times.
So I look forward to some of this new technology, but it won't be starting with me giving money to a company (not dumping on Skookum, they have lots of company) who does a pathetic job at providing clear directions and a response time that is one that A-1 companies would be proud of.
A company believing they are being effective in their fields when that's all they can provide for customer service ("Check our web site" / "we'll get with you in a few days") sorry is the only word applicable,
Old 03-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Wait a Year !

Like yourself, I've been following flight stabilization (FS) systems with great interest! They open a whole new dimension of fun and engineering to the hobby.

Not sure how old you are..but I lived through the old tech days of MS Windows development. Someone asked earlier in this thread, what kind of company would put out something that was so underdeveloped... Well, MS would!

Right now, FS is the approximate equal of Windows 3.1. Don't forget..there was even a Windows Version 1.0 for sale in the mid 80's.

As Windows morphed into Win 95, 98, 98SE, XP, Vista, Win 7 and now Win 8 . . . so will FS. Kind of fun to read the reviews of Win from the days of old...how every new release (yes, including Win ME and Vista) was 'to die for'...till it was superseded by the next release. SO TOO it will be with FS.

After through..and I mean THROUGH research . . . we are still just behind the cusp of predictability, reliability and ease of use for FS systems, but we are VERY close. Frustrating, isn't it??

The people designing these systems truly are genius and could be NASA engineers . . .but it takes time and patience during these early days. Its an ever evolving process.

As for me...no, I don't want to pay $1,000 to be a 'beta' tester! I'm going to make the equiv. Win 3.1 to Win 95 step by waiting till next year with my FS purchase.

Enjoy and stay tuned.
onepiece is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

For guys like myself who is just learing to fly 6-channel heli and love flying big ones (600 to 800 size), these FS on the market now are god send. Otherwise, I wouldn't dare to try these big birds and my wallet would have bigger holes in them from paying for parts after crashes. Having said that, I look forward to more advance technology on FS and at reduced prices, for sure.
kittiwat1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

We use to have buddy boxes to teach people to fly then Simulators now flight stablaziton.

For big scale birds wich take hundreds of hrs to build and AP copters that have high speed movies camers costing 10 of thousands of dollars and for the geek that wants to press a buton and watch his bird fly to a spot and park i see the GPS as functional.

For the guy that wants to fly a heli and help lesson the cost and make the learning curve easyer Fligh Stabilazition makes sence.But the goal is to fly with out any untill we need it to bail us out .

most and i say "most" buy somthing cheep to crash and cheep to repair I started with a cheepo 450 pro clone get the basics down. You will become a profecient mechanic and pilot.

there is a reason our parents did not buy us a BENTLY to learn to drive in.If they did then they have more money than sence!!!

IF you think droping 500 800 1400 dollas on a FS system and you not going to crash your are wrong. The defanition of a helicopter is "hundres of movings parts wich are trying to come apart" and they will !!

To spend 500 bucks on a 450 class bird then add up how many main shafts feathering shaft booms tail gears and blades you can buy for the 500 800 or 1400 bucks you want to spend on Flight stablazion.

i am pretty sure the guy making these GPS driven FS units was not doing it so blade 300s would fly better.

seems kinda like useing a F-1 car to go to the market for dipers

Of corse MY OPINION
kayakboy69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in