Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Main Forum - Multirotor Talk

Main Forum - Multirotor Talk General Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Entering new to quads not helis

Howdy Guys,
had a few questions I was hopeing someone could shed some light on for me :0)

Im looking at getting into quad copter and some gopro'ing----I like the introductory package of the Phantom 2 with the 3 axis gimble. What I am trying to figure out is can the gimble be controlled from the tx? IE-- can I pan and tilt the cam with the gimble? How easy is it to add a fpv to this unit ?

Anyone suggest something else besides this package? Pros conn?

thanks alot fellas,
Markus
dizzymarkus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your totally new to this stuff then stick with the Phantom, the transmitter should allow you to Tilt only, the other 2 axis (roll & yaw) are just used by the onboard controller and don't give you any manual control over them.

The FPVing side of things would be another bunch of add ons you would need. but... generally people don't FPV off of their gimbaled camera (your GoPro), the picture is so smooth its very difficult to tell what the copter is doing, i.e. fighting wind, nose down vs. nose up, any vibrations, etc.
- you would probably want a second (fixed) camera on there for FPV and if your going to do that then you might as well look at a different platform.

Long story short I would suggest stick with the phantom and DON'T plan on FPVing with it, just learn to fly Line Of Sight and how the stuff works. Then later buy another to FPV with.
- Also DON'T use the GoPro's WiFi, your new bird could decide to fly away on you.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I am not totally new to rc or helis :0)-- only new to quads and the cameras. I didnt want to drop 1000.00 and not be able to move the camera at all-- So I thought I would ask as it appeard more dampening than anything---good to know it will tilt. Totally understand with the wifi anf the Phantom, I also understood about a seperate cam for fpv-- I was more or less concerned with see what the shot was ;0) Is there a better platform for wsomeone who can already fly? -- I see the gps unit etc but unsure of whats what.

thank you,
Mark
dizzymarkus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymarkus View Post
Is there a better platform for wsomeone who can already fly? -- I see the gps unit etc but unsure of whats what.

thank you,
Mark
If you already are competent with CP helis, you'll have no problem flying any of these. Your biggest challenge will just be learning all the jargon and systems, but compared to learning to even hover a CP bird, that's easy! If you want to do what Tesla suggests with a separate FPV cam, you'll find the DJI f460 or 550 offer more flexibility in that regard. Otherwise, for LOS, the Phantom is a great little platform to start with. It can do seriously good video.
The GPS is used for things like return to home, autonomous flying with way points and orientation assisted flying. It can be very useful, and even save your bird if you lose sight of it or other problem, but it is essential to learn what role it plays and when not to lean on it. It and self leveling are no substitute for knowing how to fly manually, and you already know how to do that!

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry didn't read your title, if your competent with CP then build your own, use the Flamwheel F450 or 550 kit like big island suggested. The thing that drew me in from CP helis is that there's a whole slew of electronics and accessories for these things to learn about and tinker with so build a kit. It's not hard at all, I don't like RTF kits there too generic so I won't buy a phantom for my self.

I started with a F450 kit and and kind of quickly turned it into a totally different monster now, it's worth it to build. I only pushed you towards the phantom because I didn't see you were moving from CPs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in