Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default FPV Ready to Fly Packages / Companies?

I’ve been flying heli’s for a while now (3 +/- years) and have been wanting to get into FPV using quads.
I’ve been doing some research as time allows – but it seems to be a never-ending mind boggling mass of information (which I guess is good in some ways). I do however have a very hectic schedule and was wondering about RTF options? I don’t mind the building / maintenance portion of the hobby (I’ve built several helis) – but in this instance I would just like to get something that I could take out and enjoy with very little building/prework and learn as I go. Is there a “one-stop shop" that you would recommend that has a relatively decent package deal that would come with essentially everything – including the ground equipment? I don’t have any real desire to film my flights – just FPV flying. I would like to use my existing DX7s transmitter if possible – if that makes a difference.
My budget is $1,500.00 max (less would be preferable).
Thanks in advance for your information and patience – I’m sure this has been asked a million times before.
Heli Maine is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is possible but if you fly heli's you are probably capable of building a quad, building a DJI 450 is about 2 hours or less. I have a DJI F450 with naza GPS flight controler. You can now get an ARF DJI F450 with naza lite with GPS for about $350. You have a radio so you are good there, but you will need a receiver, I have the AR7010 on my F450. So you are now about at about $450 total. I have the fastshark base googles - $250- so you are now at $700 . For my video I have a 800 mw 900 mhz transmitter and receiver, from ReadymadeRC- $110- and a video camera.. I started with a basic sony camera for about $30 so if you crash you are not killing $100 camera. So for about $850 you are up and flying. Then you can upgrade as you go. Added a few filters to clean up my video but a trip Radio shack and $10 later you are good to go.

TBS Discovery with Naza w/GPS; DX9 radio
Sailingeric is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I build and fly helis so this doesn't seem to daunting. I'm confused about how video is sent back; Would all I need is something like this to transmit video? How does the Googles hook up that?
phishbot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Goto readymaderc.com or one of the other fpv sites. they have starter kit and go up. A 600mw transmitter, tx antenna and rx antenna, a set of fatshark goggles all on 5.8ghz with a camera and cables is all you need. Rx antenna hooked to the fatsharks with a 2s lipo and the tx antenna to the tx on the quad. Gets good reception farther than your 2.4 transmitter will control the quad.
Naza with gps for gps is very nice for stability and not having to worry about crashing. It can be crashed, but you have to be not paying attention or have a mechanical issue to do so.

Its not near as complex and complicated to buy and build as you think. Email readymade and they will get you on the right track. That is what I did.
Good luck.
FYI
Full kit dji 450, fpv kit including goggles, nazav2 with gps, and reciecer can be had for less than your 1500. Easy build and programming naza.
Matt

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

While they are not awesome in the customer service arena, they will issue refunds for bad parts with ease, just don't expect "help" or use of the word "prompt"...

RangeVideo... Florida
Old 08-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have pretty much the same question as the OP. Does anybody have any experience with this:

http://www.rclogger.com/RC-EYE/RC-EY...raphy-Set.html

It seems like it would be the way to go for me if it functions as advertised.
copenhagen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
I have pretty much the same question as the OP. Does anybody have any experience with this:

http://www.rclogger.com/RC-EYE/RC-EY...raphy-Set.html

It seems like it would be the way to go for me if it functions as advertised.
They appear to be on sale this weekend. However this is the first time I heard of this model. There are other RTF quads such as those from Gaui but these were not designed for FPV. If you want to do FPV, IMHO, it might be more cost effective in the long run to build one yourself. There is a relatively steep learning curve at first but this will help you understand the individual components better.

There are also sites such as readytoflyquads that will assemble the FPV quad for you if you really prefer not to do it yourself.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
They appear to be on sale this weekend. However this is the first time I heard of this model. There are other RTF quads such as those from Gaui but these were not designed for FPV. If you want to do FPV, IMHO, it might be more cost effective in the long run to build one yourself. There is a relatively steep learning curve at first but this will help you understand the individual components better.

There are also sites such as readytoflyquads that will assemble the FPV quad for you if you really prefer not to do it yourself.
The hardest part for me is knowing which parts to buy. This includes the camera and the video transmission system. I won't have any problem putting them together and figuring out how to make them work- esp if it had been proven that they work together already.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
The hardest part for me is knowing which parts to buy. This includes the camera and the video transmission system. I won't have any problem putting them together and figuring out how to make them work- esp if it had been proven that they work together already.
Check out my Flip FPV build thread on the multirotor forums. The components I chose to go into that build all worked for me. The FLIP FPV frame is very robust... I have crashed it at least 3 times now and the frame survived unscathed. Crashes were all at low level though.

To simplify the "FPV" side of things I went with the Fat Shark Attitude SD package. This package comes with the Attitude FPV goggles, a 250 mw 58G video transmitter, a filter, antennas, and all the wires you need to hook it up in the quad. All you need to add is the FPV video camera. If you buy the one that I got (Fat Shark CCD), it is plug and play to the video transmitter. I outlined this all in my build including how to setup fail safe if you are going to use a NAZA flight controller.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
Check out my Flip FPV build thread on the multirotor forums. The components I chose to go into that build all worked for me. The FLIP FPV frame is very robust... I have crashed it at least 3 times now and the frame survived unscathed. Crashes were all at low level though.

To simplify the "FPV" side of things I went with the Fat Shark Attitude SD package. This package comes with the Attitude FPV goggles, a 250 mw 58G video transmitter, a filter, antennas, and all the wires you need to hook it up in the quad. All you need to add is the FPV video camera. If you buy the one that I got (Fat Shark CCD), it is plug and play to the video transmitter. I outlined this all in my build including how to setup fail safe if you are going to use a NAZA flight controller.
Cool, thanks- will take a look.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here's one:

https://store.3drobotics.com/products/apm-3dr-x8-rtf

wis1
Old 10-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok this is what i did /building under 1,000--purchased the BNF 350 QX blade, gopro black camara--very high resulution,and the boscam 5.8ghz transmitter and reciever(this will hook into the gopro),a 7" monitor from Hobby King-i am sure ill get sick viewing FPV thru the fat sharks-hence the 7" display--something to consider if you get sick from doing first person shooters on tv you might want to stay away from the fat shark goggles. the only addidtional thing ill get is a gimbel to make the camara stable--about $115
marke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 02:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Or just buy a DJI Phantom Vision. Ready to fly.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details
Old 11-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is what I have been looking at
storm-all-in-one-fpv-combo-deluxe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in