Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile New see through SK 540

I am in the process of upgrading my FBL system from the BeastX I currently own. I have made up my mind and decided to go with the SK 540. I really like the reviews of this unit and look forward to purchasing it soon. The photos I have seen are the red andozide unit. However, today while strolling through the various online vendors looking for the best deal, I noticed that there is a see through SK 540 version for $50 cheaper than the red version. Is anyone familiar with this? If so, are the two the one and the same? Don't mind saving a few bucks whenever I can.
#1RCHelifan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

They are the same. The clear unit is a lower cost version with no governor or bank switching functions for those who may not need them.

You can upgrade online and purchase and unlock those functions later if you wish and still be cheaper.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
They are the same. The clear unit is a lower cost version with no governor or bank switching functions for those who may not need them.

You can upgrade online and purchase and unlock those functions later if you wish and still be cheaper.
$25 to upgrade. But $200 or $225 for a 540, can't beat that.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only difference after upgrade would be the ally case on the 540, so I guess there is a $25 premium being charged for that.

Its good that they are offering lower cost options now.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: New see through SK 540

Wouldn't an aluminium case damp vibrations more?
Old 09-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good question. The original 720 was in a plastic case and worked fine, but the BE on the same mounts have less vibes. Not possible to tell since the hardware has changed so much in the 720 if the case is any contributing factor or not.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Aluminum case should be heavier thus making it more vibration resistant. I dont think there is an issue since the sensors used are already very vibration resistant alone.

Spartan Vortex, Scorpion Motors, ExperienceRC Batteries, OMG Servos
FrSky Taranis
DaveHolland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 06:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The clear case reportedly gives a 4g weight saving - which may be significant on small helis.

This was actually why I bought the clear one, and unlocked it (rather than the cost saving).

BTW, you need a version above 3.40 of the set-up utility to unlock (3.43 works; not tested 3.42; 3.40 doesn't.)

The unlock is authorised within a few minutes, IME.
Scallybert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in