Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories

KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I have installed this upgrade, and no more notchy bearings

I do a lot of flip exercises on my trex 500, and without these thrust bearings the radial bearings will be gone after about 50 flights. I don't crash much(knock on wood), but angular slop becomes a real issue. No more worn radial bearings after this upgrade. However, I do pull the bearings and regrease after about 150 flights(3 weeks for me), because of grease loss and dirt/contamination. It's very easy to "chase" the bearings out with a spare shaft.
slamdance is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do the KDE upgrades strengthen the frame enough to make it more durable in a crash? Do the KDE parts, especially, the bottom frame support bend easily in a crash? I nosed it in and had to replace the frames because they cracked. I figure if the frame is ridgid enough, it will withstand some abuse. I also had to replace the bottom frame support. The frames cracked where the battery support tray is and where the motor mount is.
williamhorton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhorton View Post
Do the KDE upgrades strengthen the frame enough to make it more durable in a crash? Do the KDE parts, especially, the bottom frame support bend easily in a crash? I nosed it in and had to replace the frames because they cracked. I figure if the frame is ridgid enough, it will withstand some abuse. I also had to replace the bottom frame support. The frames cracked where the battery support tray is and where the motor mount is.
Looking at buying the main block bearings and the bottom plate, is it worth it or is it purely for cosmetic reason the bottom plate that is?

cheers
Old 03-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

that kde direct upgrade kit looks great , but honestly , 165 bucks (US$) so about 10 dollars Aussie ) sorry could not help the dig .. anyway thats a lot of money when compared to simular products i get from ebay such as
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tarot-Met...ht_1649wt_1111

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160692938...ht_1544wt_1111

i always try and support local industry and i assume Americans do but there is no local manufacuring left in Australia as nobody wants to work for 20 cents a day like the chinese.

i will buy a few products to check them out as i love a new product , you really need to maybe get the price down ? by the way we have here a aliminium smelter Alcoa ,not far from here (melbourne Australia) it is constantly on the news trying to survive and not getting shut down and going off shore . i assume you have the same issues , do you make these products in USA.

I have no Doubt the quality would be better ,
Josh
joshd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah kde set ups are on the heavy side lol but the power is sure there.But any way I like the ideal of the bearing blocks but honestly Imo I think a one peice bearing block even though it may add an ounce is the way to go.One peice just make things that much stronger and durable with no flexing of the carbon fiber frame.Or limited by quite a bit.I run the helioption they are light and have been great I just think its a better design to run a one peice block............Hint hint
Old 07-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got the bearings for the 500 pro and now one of them sounds like its rumbeling a bit .... can I purchase the bearings or do I have to renew the block as well ?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

If by rumbling you mean the bearing is not smooth then you can just replace the bearings. http://www.kdedirect.com/BearingsandFasteners.html
Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question

OK, so I have one of the metal bottom frame plates. The landing gear screw broke off in the hole and I can't grab it with anything. Being so small, it's tough to get out. How can I get the broken screw out without damaging he threads inside the hole? Thanks for your time.
Hitec 5245MG x3, Futaba S9257, Mavrikk G5 FBL Blades, Microbeast, RJX FBL500 Head
PharmD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmD View Post
OK, so I have one of the metal bottom frame plates. The landing gear screw broke off in the hole and I can't grab it with anything. Being so small, it's tough to get out. How can I get the broken screw out without damaging he threads inside the hole? Thanks for your time.
That is tough - I'm not always successful trying to do this, but your best friend is heat in this case. Try heating the Aluminum with a torch to expand the material and relax the threads (and any threadlocker) and then I usually try and machine a small slot (with a Dremel cut-off wheel, the ultra-thin kind) into the screw and then use a tiny flat-head screwdriver to back it out. Not always easy and usually not successful, but from time-to-time, I get lucky.

The other option is to drill it out with a 2.0mm drill, retap this to M2.5, and then use M2.5 screws to bolt on the landing gear. Won't work by hand-drilling this, as the drill will want to walk into the aluminum rather than the steel of the broken screw, so you'll need to use a drill-press or mill typically to get it done properly.

After all this, we do offer our standard 30% crash-replacement discount on a new item if you need to replace the piece. Feel free to contact us at sales@kdedirect.com and we'll get you taken care of.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDE Direct View Post
That is tough - I'm not always successful trying to do this, but your best friend is heat in this case. Try heating the Aluminum with a torch to expand the material and relax the threads (and any threadlocker) and then I usually try and machine a small slot (with a Dremel cut-off wheel, the ultra-thin kind) into the screw and then use a tiny flat-head screwdriver to back it out. Not always easy and usually not successful, but from time-to-time, I get lucky.

The other option is to drill it out with a 2.0mm drill, retap this to M2.5, and then use M2.5 screws to bolt on the landing gear. Won't work by hand-drilling this, as the drill will want to walk into the aluminum rather than the steel of the broken screw, so you'll need to use a drill-press or mill typically to get it done properly.

After all this, we do offer our standard 30% crash-replacement discount on a new item if you need to replace the piece. Feel free to contact us at sales@kdedirect.com and we'll get you taken care of.
OK. I'll definitely try it. The slot sounds like my best bet. Thanks. I'll keep the discount in mind if I don't have any luck.
Hitec 5245MG x3, Futaba S9257, Mavrikk G5 FBL Blades, Microbeast, RJX FBL500 Head
PharmD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in