Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Electric

MA Electric IonX2, Razor and Furion Support forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 06:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Furion 6 Flybarless Build Pictures

OK, I haven't seen any real build pictures yet and I know some of you may be looking to go for a new Furion 6 and you want to know what it's all about.

I'm taking some photos as I go with the build and will post them here. Throw in any questions about it if you have them.

I had a whole internal conflict issue going on as to buy with fly-bar or without. The engineer in me loves flybars, but I'm not getting any younger and anything that lends a hand and makes repair a bit simpler is a bonus.

Here is the intended set-up:
2 x 5S battery config.
Scorpion HK4035-560 Motor with the 12 tooth pinion
Jive 80-HV ESC (I will be running the internal BEC at 6v with battery back-up as per manufacturers instructions)
BLS-452 on cyclic
BLS-251 on the tail
mini-VBar v5 Express with 2 x Spectrum satellite receivers
Edge 603mm flybarless blades

So here we go:

The box!

And the canopy

So, with threadlock in hand, lets get to it!

First nice little feature we have is a sacrificial 'break-off' tab on the canopy mounts. (sorry the pictures are a bit blurry, no flash and long exposure).

The bolts for the canopy mounts are countersunk from inside the frame

Here is the boom clamp unit

And the bearing blocks and etc mounted on one side of the frame. The screw holes on the top block seemed a little shallow, so I had to give them quite a twist to get them to cut the thread. All OK though!

Some of the machining on the top bearing block is a bit rough, nothing I can't live with though. Maybe just being a bit over-picky.

Here we have all the frame internals fitted.

The battery tray is interesting as well. You can strap 2 x 5S packs each side of a plate and then when you want to change over batteries, just undo the 4 knurled screws and lift the whole lot away. Extra plates are only £9 in UK, so you can have your batteries all strapped up and ready to go.

Last edited by dauste; 09-17-2010 at 11:40 AM..
dauste is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 06:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the build thread. I am looking to pick one up as soon as they get in stock here in the US.
Eyefly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for this build thread. I have my trigger finger on your exact setup except for battery capacity and blades(undecided). How is the quality overall, ease of build, vbar setup(if this is your first),compare this build with other makes you may have done, fbl head quality? This will be my first fbl but heard the vbar5.0 is very easy to setup. Hope you can confirm this. I know the fb version uses the fury 55 head and is of great quality coming from Finless Bob 55 build. Never heard a thing about the fbl version.
soangp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

The quality overall is great, a couple of the machined parts look like they went through just as the cutting tool needed a sharpen, but these bit all live inside the frame so no biggie. The build is very straight forward as I hope you can see from the pics, haven't been caught out by anything yet.

Head is nice! This is the first FBL heli I have had and set-up of the Vbar will be a whole new experience!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

More pics please. Post some close ups of the head?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok, so here are the gears being fitted.

Nicely machined belt pulley

When fitting the skids, I noticed that on one side of the frame the skid mounting block was set below the level of the surrounding carbon frame. This meant that some tension was put on the frame and block when the skids were tightened up, so have had to file a little of the frame to bring it level with the block.

All the gears and motor in place.

And a close-up of those cyclic servo brackets. These are 3mm carbon and sit off square to the frame so that the servo horns are easier to set at 90deg.

The next stage should be the tail, but I've moved on to the head first. Not fully fitted yet, need some longer servo horns etc. but since you asked!

The head went together very simply!

Last edited by dauste; 09-18-2010 at 02:32 AM..
Old 09-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Definitely keep us informed on your vbar experience. I'm hesitant about going fbl but will closely follow your build for encouragement.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

A couple of thoughts that come to mind are 1. anti rotation pin very close to the motor? 2. I thought the metal block where the skids connect would come in two pieces instead of four. i wonder how this will hold up in even a hard landing, given that the weak spot is where it meets the CF frame. BTW, the head looks sweet
Old 09-18-2010, 02:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

1. It is close! You can't go smaller than the 12 tooth pinion on the motor otherwise it will touch.

2. I've seen a few pics of the Fury 55 that have had a hard landing and the block has been torn out of the frame. I think MA realised this may be an issue and have release a carbon bottom plate for the Fury 55 to tie the blocks together and provide support. No need for this on the Furion 6 as it comes supplied with a carbon support strut anyway.

And I think you can see a bit better on this one what I meant about the frame sides. On the right hand side you can see a small gap between the block and frame. On the other side the frame was protuding and so the support plate was bending over it. As the blocks all looked the same, I'd have to assume that the bolt holes in the frame on that side aren't quite in the right place.

Last edited by dauste; 09-20-2010 at 11:27 AM..
Old 09-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all of the great pics. My next heli for sure! I really like the notches in the head block to set the pitch.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow! Didn't see the struts in the first pics. I'm loving this heli, good luck with the rest of the build. Can't wait to hear about your maiden.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Never noticed the notches on the head before Eyefly mentioned it. Its the small things like that making life a little easier.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm having a few issues with the tail. Something isn't right with the ball on the tail pitch slider. It was not engaging properly in to the bell crank, so I've had to fit a spare extended ball that I had from my Furion 450 kit.

And here it is all fitted up. Not sure what the issue is with this, I'll have to try and find some other pics to compare.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check out the fury 55 forum. I dont remember if it is here or RR. I have seen this before.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks for the build pics, will be picking one up asap.
Brooklyn Z is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyefly View Post
Check out the fury 55 forum. I dont remember if it is here or RR. I have seen this before.
Thanks for that, looks like the bearings are too wide but I'm happy with my fix. Shoudn't have to do it though!

I also have some other issues with the tail. I had to extend the cut-out at the main gear end of the boom where it engages with the anti rotation bolt as I couldn't get the belt loose enough. The tail pitch slider is plastic and it looks like mine is slightly twisted as it binds badly. Looks like I'll need to get a replacements for this.

I notice that MA are now doing a 'Pro' version of this part with figure8 bearings as on the Furion 450. I have to say I think MA should be supplying these as standard in the kit.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I notice that MA are now doing a 'Pro' version of this part with figure8 bearings as on the Furion 450. I have to say I think MA should be supplying these as standard in the kit.
It would increase the cost of the kit with no real benefit to performance. The ball bearing "pro" pitch slider set will last longer, however it was decided that in the interest of keeping the kit cost down, this would be an option part.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I knew you were gonna say that!

No seriously though, I'm more than pleased with the kit in general. Mine has an issue with the pitch slider, but I know that's just an issue with mine and I'll talk to the retailer to get that bit replaced.

I would be nice to be able to get hold of the link bearings and pitch arm as spares though instead of having to buy the whole thing.

I've finished with the frame build now and just need to add in the electronics (waiting on parts). I'll see if I can get some photos done tonight.

Last edited by dauste; 09-20-2010 at 11:28 AM..
Old 09-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Are those vernier pitch markings engraved into the head?
prototype3a is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like a beautiful kit! It will definitely be my next 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in