Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Self level seems broken.

The issue is when I turn on a bank with self level the swash cocks completely to one corner And the pc software sez 20 and -20.
Self level was working on this unit one day and not the next. Pretty exciting when I found it wasn't working. I've tried a few times hitting the set level button and setting the sliders manually.
I even tried a factory reset

Has any one seen this Before?
Pilot error is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default SIMILAR SL/AL experience.

I've had a very, very, very similar experience. See this thread: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=697048&page=4

You'll see on 6/10/2015 I thought I had it and then a day later.....same thing. Swash Kicks HARD back left while motor running. I just bought a used G500 with an older iKon V2. It's SL seems to work great. I really am thinking there is something wrong with my original unit which was just bought in April/May timeframe!

I just uploaded the new latest Firmware into both iKon's. The one unit is sitll acting the same with Auto Level.

Which way is your swash kicking??

FlatCrank
FlatCrank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a video of what mine is doing.

20150612 202258 (4 min 46 sec)
Old 07-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

mine is trying to put the heli right side to the sky and tail down....
but it acts the same motor on or off so its not vibs.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Software should not say 20 -20. Can't imagine it would have worked with those numbers in there. Perhaps select a different orientation, then select the right one then hit set level and look at the numbers again.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthane View Post
Software should not say 20 -20. Can't imagine it would have worked with those numbers in there. Perhaps select a different orientation, then select the right one then hit set level and look at the numbers again.
I agree and I did try that a few times. I've re checked how it's acting with the sl on and it really seems like it's gone nuts. I switch on self level, hold and turn the Heli around to try and see what orientation the swash is trying to take it to and it can't seem to make up its mind to which way it want to go! Mostly as I hold the Heli on its side the swash jumps from one extreme corner to another even as as I try to hold it still on its side it twitches form corner to corner.

Does anyone have a phone number for me to see about getting this ikon fixed?
Old 07-03-2015, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

After reloading firmware and resetting factory default, did you run through the basic wizard or load setting from file that may be bad? First point of contact is the place of purchase. If that fails I would contact national distributor which for the U.S. is Helidirect.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, all new setup whent threw the wizard. The wizard makes this unit vary fast to setup. I'll ask HD. I think this unit may have come from there.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Pilot Error,
How old is your unit? I just swapped my two iKons between my two birds and the problems are following the one iKon. Very curious

Oxy3 285, Oxy4Stretch, Oxy4Max, Oxy5-520 6S, Urukay Triple head, Goblin 770 Sport.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can reset the ikon but will do the same. When your in the air and the swash tilts like that, there is not cyclic control to compensate. Thank you for dispelling the vibration and swashplate leveling nonsense. The self-leveling function has had an issue. Hoping updates would solve the problem but it has not. Two of my three units have the same issue.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have 1 ikon new in feb and 1 brain about a year.
the ikon self level is the really bad one and the brain is starting to act the same way the ikon did a month ago when self level started to go bad.
the first few times it acted up the level was only off a little bit or only misleveled the swash right after startup.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMcN View Post
You can reset the ikon but will do the same. When your in the air and the swash tilts like that, there is not cyclic control to compensate. Thank you for dispelling the vibration and swashplate leveling nonsense. The self-leveling function has had an issue. Hoping updates would solve the problem but it has not. Two of my three units have the same issue.
yes! if i hit level in the air the heli is going down its trying to put the heli 90*
form level and self level only lets you correct up to 50* so flipping the switch is fatal!
Old 07-05-2015, 02:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all your input guys it's really nice to be able to bounce issues and ideas off the heads of hunreads of people.

Have you all noticed that the orientation page is now missing from the advanced menu? I was playing with the unit orientation settings and got self level to work by selecting the opposite orientation form the way the ikon is mounted mine is sitting upside down wires back but level works when I select face up wires front! Before the last update I think I could have fixed this by manually selecting the stabi axises separately from the sensing axises. Or not....
Old 07-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really think there is some settings mucked up on the unit if you see 20(s) in the self level ail/elev angles. I still say try to reflash the firmware from a windows app (forget the android stuff) Making sure you have the latest software and then reset the unit to factory defaults. Cannot hurt unit to flash it again, maybe something go copied wrong. Can't hurt to try.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Straight from the box with the latest update no other adjustments other than basic setting. Last thing done is set level. The heli self-level still makes un-commanded pitch or roll. I’m not aware of any settings or gain that would have an adverse effect on self-level and not normal flight. As in the video, swash tilt is not a slow roll but tilt and hold. You can no tilt on the ground and have a tilt in flight. There’s a disconnect in self-level between set, natural and actual.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Was more referring to Pilot error's case as his works with unit orientation right side up.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

i will have a few more gos at fixing before i send it in
ill let yo know this weekend
Old 07-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot error View Post
Have you all noticed that the orientation page is now missing from the advanced menu? I was playing with the unit orientation settings and got self level to work by selecting the opposite orientation form the way the ikon is mounted mine is sitting upside down wires back but level works when I select face up wires front! Before the last update I think I could have fixed this by manually selecting the stabi axises separately from the sensing axises. Or not....
You NEVER need to change gyro orientation !
If you think that is needed, is because there is some wrong in the setting.

May be that the SRV-1, SRV-2, SRV-3 are not correctly connected to the correct port of the unit. See the number on the swasplate designed in the connection panel.

May be that the direction of the stick don't correspond to software and you need reverse some channel in your TX (remember that "nose up" is not stick up, but stick down, remember that nose left is seeing the model from the rear and not from the front, etc.)

May be that the swashplate selected is H-3 instead of HR-3 (or the opposite). See the helicopter design in that panel.

May be that the unit orientation is not correct. Note that the hely icons is seeing from the top not from the bottom.

Recheck all.
After you find the error, may be that you need to reverse some servo direction pressing one or more times the servo reverse button in Swashplate Setup panel or/and in Tail Setup.
BrainDev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 07:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatCrank View Post
Here's a video of what mine is doing.

20150612 202258 - YouTube
I think you know that Brain/iKon units don't add o change any on collective with Auto Level.
So when Auto Level correct, if one servo go up, the other two MUST go down so no collective is added/changed.
In your video I see (but I may see wrong) only one servo that go up.
The other two servos don't change their position.
So i think that your is not an Auto Level problem.
I think is a Servo problem or cable problem or connector problem.
Have you try to change servo ?
Or instead to interchange two servos and see if the problem is ever on the same servo ?
BrainDev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 07:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDev View Post
I think you know that Brain/iKon units don't add o change any on collective with Auto Level.
So when Auto Level correct, if one servo go up, the other two MUST go down so no collective is added/changed.
In your video I see (but I may see wrong) only one servo that go up.
The other two servos don't change their position.
So i think that your is not an Auto Level problem.
I think is a Servo problem or cable problem or connector problem.
Have yoy try to change servo ?
Or instead to interchange two servos and see if the problem is ever on the same servo ?
I have another older iKon ( probably 6-8 months old) unit that I bought used along with a Goblin 500. The AL/ SL works great on this iKon on the G500 (which I pretty much had to completely go through and rebuild from previous owner) I swapped the two iKons between my G500 and my G570. The problems followed the iKon NOT the bird. So now my G500 has up/down tail bobble and psycho AL while my G570 works great! Interesting........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in