Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Piro rate per second

What kind of piro rates are you guys running? I was running the default in my sim, but. Its almost 3 piro per second. Absolute insanity. I've been lowering it and it seems 1.5-2 piro per second is a good range for piro flips etc. Just curious what others are running
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My 700 is set to 640 degrees per second. I rarely go to full stick, but it gives a good fast piro when I need it.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2014, 03:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running 600°/sec on my helis, and tuned the sim to the same speed.
Gives a pretty fast piro when I want it, but is still managable for piro manouvers (well I'm used to that speed at any rate).
Aryemis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2014, 06:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

640 degrees is what works for me. I am also using 15% expo so that I can be precise at center stick yet have plenty of "headroom" to play with in my flight.
Blade 450X
Heli.Maniac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sounds like somewhere between 1.5 and 2 is the magic number for most of you also
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly pretty hard, but bang the sticks. I can get by with. 300 for cyclic and 480 for tail. If I want it a little jerkier for smack, I might so 360/540
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run about one rotation a second or just slightly faster; maybe 400 degrees a sec.

IMHO, there isn't much need for a super quick tail IRL. All moves can be accomplished with a controllable tail. Maybe quick smack style transitions where you don't have much air and a fast piro wobble etc require a crazy tail speed but you sacrifice extra control in the process.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sure, there's truth to that. But for somebody like me who pinches the sticks, I rarely, if ever... use full stick throws. My buddies who fly thumbs can't control my helis. So even though my tail may be setup for 620, I may never actually clear 500 or so.

My bread and butter piro flip though is a double. So those spin fairly quickly.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2014, 05:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 3 modes set with different cyclic and piro rates... 180/360, 280/540, and 360/720

Most of the time I use the middle one, occasionally the quickest one but it gets a little touchy. I rarely go full rudder on the middle or fast settings.

In the sim (realfight 7) I typically go 360/720 or 420/720 in order to get a similar feel to reality.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Rotation View Post
I have 3 modes set with different cyclic and piro rates... 180/360, 280/540, and 360/720

Most of the time I use the middle one, occasionally the quickest one but it gets a little touchy. I rarely go full rudder on the middle or fast settings.

In the sim (realfight 7) I typically go 360/720 or 420/720 in order to get a similar feel to reality.
I never felt I was such a noob till reading this thread. Here I've been playing with preset expo's similarly to the way you have set your rotation rates in both the sim and at the field when I should have been working on these first to get my models and heli's working similarly in order to maximize my sim training.
Raptorapture is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll agree and disagree.

It is quite helpful to have a sim heli setup similarly to your real heli. This give predictability and confidence.

Conversely, I will frequently cycle through helicopters, and even simulators. This way I understand how setup effects flight. I learn to feel for different setup characteristics and now they make different maneuvers harder or easier for me to do.

I also learn how to 'fly' the maneuver (locked in double piroflips on a heli you haven't flown before and don't know the rotation rates or expo... Just start flying and correcting) by flying sim helis with unknown/different setups.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

I've taken on a similar philosophy despite people I meet at the field recommending me to stick with one heli for learning. The reality is that my flying ability is not good enough to benefit in the way you suggest and I'm happy to learn this aspect of a heli's setup on my journey to double flipping piro's
Raptorapture is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I said cycle through helicopters, I should have been more clear: on the sim.

When learning in real life, one helicopter is best. You will know how to fly, setup, and repair much better than maintaing a fleet. Two identical helis is a great way to get good back to back flights without wait time for cooldown. It also lets you see how setup affects flight, and keeps you in the air after crashes or maintenance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in