Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Evolution (formerly ALeeS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Had a blast today!

No tuning. Just flying. And I flew. I did my first half piro flip (way up in the sky) today!

I am trying to get over a mental block that has kept me from progressing for quite some time. That mental block is "simple" sport flying. Circuits, loops, rolls, stall turns, "speed run" passes after the stall turns etc. It was really during those type of maneuvers that I used to panic and crash. A lot.

Today I forced myself out of my "comfort" or "wimp" zone, and flew. Circles mainly. I still didn't push into heli far away power loops or anything like that. That will come and it will come soon.

But, today I was doing some pretty good looking upright and inverted funnels, tic tocks never looked better! Then I went for it and up around 40 to 50 ft in the air, I did my first half piro flip. That was an awesome feeling when the heli just did what I told it like I learned in the sim. I then proceeded to do them one right after the other. I think during that first flight I did about 5 or 6 before the timer started beeping at me.

On the final flight of day, I had a husband and wife stop by and they provided me with an audience. She had never seen any RC aircraft. He is an RC instructor who teaches fixed wing.

I was fired up and just started doing most everything I knew how to do. Low, inverted hovering, (~2 to 3 feet off the deck), piros, tic tocks, funnels, and of course my new found ability, half piro flips!

They actually applauded when I landed.

Oh yeah, the last flight was without canopy. First time I ever did a full flight with all those maneuvers and no canopy. Never once lost orientation.

The reason I flew sans canopy is that sometime during the previous flight, I lost a bolt and finishing washer that secures the right side front canopy break away tab. I know I thread locked that sucker but it went missing anyway.

I just want to get back out there and fly some more!

Photo from today...

markrj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice job dude! I love that feeling when you complete a new move for the first time!
Old 09-15-2014, 05:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congratulations, Mark! Nice job!

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like an awesome day Mark! Congratulations on the break through
-Phillip Johnson, AMA #954735
LegndarySaiyan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hate to hijack your thread with my own tales but like you I had an amazing weekend with the Rush. I am in need of a new motor because my old 4035-500 is getting weak. On really hard inputs it will bog. I've been trying to put it off because I'm going to put the Scorpion that's in my G700C into the Rush whenever I get the Kontronik motor to match up with the Kosmik in the G700C. But the Rush is feeling so dialed in and I'm enjoying it the most right now, even with the bad motor, so it's hard to keep putting it off. I can't really explain the feeling I get the more I fly it but I have noticed that I smile from the time the blades start spinning until I've got it back on the bench after the flight. It's flying so dang good that I've already decided on getting the Evolution when it's available just so that I can fly them one after the other. It's really brought the fun to the field for me, but I haven't gotten the gusto to try the things you mentioned earlier. I'm starting to step out of the comfort zone a little at a time, but I'm still hesitant to really hammer it.
shaun.evans09 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

No problem Shaun. I don't view your post as a hijack at all.

Is the motor getting weak? or, are you just beating the hell out of it more?

I would be moving all that sexy Kontronic gear over to the Evo if I had it. lol
Old 09-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah the motor is just old. I bought it used from a guy that said it had "A whole lot of flights" on it. So I'm figuring that is an excessive number of flights. Whenever I am doing really hard inputs I can make it bog out. I've been wanting to put the Kontronik motor in my G700C so that I can match it up to the Kosmik that's already in it which would then give me the Scorpion Ultimate to put in the Rush. But I'm so undecided on whether to wait or to go ahead and just get the motor now because when the Evo comes out I'll be having to buy more goodies then anyways. Decisions Decisions.
shaun.evans09 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Having a great day out too. At the Dayton fun fly. Scott is here, and got to meet Phil. Phil is a super dude. Maintaining a great attitude, despite having isolated issues with his esc on his Rush. Scott had a minor issue and we thought that we had it taken care of, but it rared its head again.... I flew 2x last nite with mine, and flawless!! First thing today, spooled mine up and it tipped over. Was at 2050 head speed, ready to lift..... Something let go on the head block. Whoops. Better on the ground than in.the air. I called pops up and got his out here so I can fly.

So, 3 Rush's down....... Working the all the adversity today makes for a long day........

Im still here! Havent fallen off the face of the planet yet...... LOL.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Fun! except for the crashes...

Have any photos/videos?
Old 09-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was consumed with helping Scott and Phil with getting their machines back up and going. I had my g/f come back to my house and pick up all my Rush spare parts. But I'm going to go on a limb and say that there will most likely be pics on RR tomorrow or early next week. I know there were a few DSLR camreas floating around.

When I left 45 minutes ago, they were still going strong with some nite flying!
Old 09-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congratulations!
Old 09-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Chris,

Thank you so much for all you did today! You rock, sir! Oh... and there's a little announcement in another thread here!

Man, what a weekend, but we had a blast anyway! Great event, great people and a great time!

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in