Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Outdoors ruins my fun =(, maybe time to upgrade?

In my garage or basement i have a blast, well as much as you can flying in a small area. I have learned basic controls well i can hover no problem, am getting better at flying with the heli facing me and can make pretty smooth turns.

I take it outside with no more than five mile per hour winds and it is out of control with the smallest gust.

Maybe get a nano cpx to learn a CP heli indoors? Or something bigger to learn to fly outdoors?
FocusMiah is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusMiah View Post
In my garage or basement i have a blast, well as much as you can flying in a small area. I have learned basic controls well i can hover no problem, am getting better at flying with the heli facing me and can make pretty smooth turns.

I take it outside with no more than five mile per hour winds and it is out of control with the smallest gust.

Maybe get a nano cpx to learn a CP heli indoors? Or something bigger to learn to fly outdoors?
The 120 is not meant for outdoors but people over the years shortened the props by 2-3mm (including myself) for outdoors mild wind flights. You must also have a good radio like Dx6i programmed for the 120 SR. If you want outdoors then get the 180 QX or even better the 200 QX quads.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

A Nano will do OK outside, but you still need avoid real winds that bump and gust. But it will do worlds better than the 120.

That being said, if you want an outdoor (i.e. you will never use it in your basement), the mCPX BL is a good alternative over thick lush grass. With the added power, you will have more ability to use collective to fight wind gusts and bail out as well.

The move up to CP will be shocking at first, but you should have your upright orientations down quickly once you switch. It will be an eye opening experience.

obi

Exploring the other side of the disk: Taranis (+OrangeRX). nanoCPX (AD mild-BLv2), mCPX dbl-BL (BLHeli XP-12A/HP10+XP-7A/HP03T-4000KV), Align-AD Trex 150 (BLheli+HP8).
Obijuan Kenobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I actually have a Nano qx and a Nano qx on a 1sq frame which handles extremely well outdoors for what size it is.

I really want to make the move to a CP heli. Any suggestions?

*edit* Sorry, and as for a radio, I am using a 9xr with the dsm2 module in it.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you trim off 10mm off the end of each rotor blade, it will handle the wind a bit better!

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusMiah View Post
I actually have a Nano qx and a Nano qx on a 1sq frame which handles extremely well outdoors for what size it is.

I really want to make the move to a CP heli. Any suggestions?

*edit* Sorry, and as for a radio, I am using a 9xr with the dsm2 module in it.
I was talking about the NANO CPX...or nCPX. That's a small CP helicopter. And the mCPX BL is also a CP helicopter, but less for your basement and more for a park.

I think the Nano CPx is great if you fly over grass, hit TH on time, and maybe reinforce the canopy pins on a new stock frame before you fly. There you have your trainer. Now buy a few motors from eBay for 20 bucks, you are golden.

That said, if you can stay outside most of the time, the mCPX BL is far better.

obi

Exploring the other side of the disk: Taranis (+OrangeRX). nanoCPX (AD mild-BLv2), mCPX dbl-BL (BLHeli XP-12A/HP10+XP-7A/HP03T-4000KV), Align-AD Trex 150 (BLheli+HP8).
Obijuan Kenobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Awesome! I think i will go with the Nano Cpx and learn on that as the parts look decently cheap. Ill probably start off in my basement soo the mcpx might be a bit big.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My place isn't big enough to fly the 120SR indoors. So I have to fly it outside. Wind can be a pain, but it can be fun too. There's a spot between my place and the neighbor's that the wind usually blows through in a straight line. Not swirling, which can be a whole 'nother thing.

So after a week of some really bad wind, it lightened up. Decided to try something. Ever see a bird catching a thermal? They kinda hover there? Well that's what I did with the 120. I flew it nose in, which made it very interesting, but really good practice. Better than the Sim. Sometimes the wind won. Sometimes I dumb thumbed it, too. But now I can keep it in the air most of the time.

I'm still new at this and not going to give up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in