Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

also as far as time goes for your battery I was running 1x3S 800MAH Gaui pack with at the time 15' of Lights and it lasted almost 40 minutes before dieing. (last 10 minutes though was pretty dim so I'd say I honestly got about 20-30minutes of actual 3S brightness, then at around 30-40min it got down to what it looks like with a 2S pack. and the last 3 minutes the lights were hardly on.

I've since added 2 more feet of Amber to the tail (much better visually) and added a 2nd 3S800mah pack just for the Tail alone. and so far I've had it on for 30min with out any notice of dimming what so ever.

Once my last roll of Copper Tape shows up I'll have my DIY night blades complete I'm using the Xerogear LED's (desoldered from there strips of coarse) for the blades and I'll hopefully have some nice IN-Flight Shots.
SlowWhite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 03:07 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice, thanks for the response.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

SlowWhite, what kind of camera are you taking those shoots with?

Here is my attempt with the flexible light strips, mini deans between the vertical fin/boom and canopy/boom just in case I screw up my 600N daytime heli. And a pic of soldering around a curve.

Z
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04360.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	91813   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04361.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	91814   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04365.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	91815  
zeenon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin703 View Post
Do you fly at night???? If so, I would join you to check things out. I fly in NOVA. I also belong to a few clubs, including CASA in MD. Where do you guys fly and which days?
I had glow wire with align night blades, BUT I sent the align 600 night blades back I couldn't get them to track so hopefully I will get some new ones, and the glow wire I took off, because I am going to get the xerogear for my heli, I fly almost every good day there is we all hookup and fly just about every Sat, and Sunday. There are a few places we fly but never at a actual flying field, One of the places is the size of almost 2 football fields in 3 directions and its on a small hill above the tree line love that spot, the spots are greenbelt md, uppermarlboro md, college park md, and rockville md.
jhheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 05:12 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

ZEENON - the picts are take with a Sony 14.2meg DSLR A350 with either the Sony 9000HS Lens or a 70-300mm G SSM Lens.

And where did you get your Flexable Light Strips they look just like the Xerogear I have only in Clear. Where as all of my Xerogear Strips are White. But the backside of mine looks very simular to the look of yours.

I did my Gaui the exact same as your's, connected the canopy to tail boom by mini Deans,

I originally did the same with my Stratus but connected it to the landing Gear. However I've since Changed it and gave the tail section is own battery for back up. And I was going to install mini Deans for the vertical Fin but haven't yet. To busy planning a wedding.
SlowWhite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

PM me when you guys will fly at night. I would love to see the set up and I might even have mine ready to go by then
Old 06-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #67 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Well, I ponied up for a XeroGear kit for my Atom 500. I'm planning to do my first night flying at Heli Blaze this year. I used the "helifreak" discount code at the xerogear.com site to get 20% off. I went with amber/green because I think they'll be the most visible for me.

I'm wondering if anybody has tried running two strips in series off a 6S pack. My Ohm's Law intuition says it should work. I'll find out soon enough when I get the kit. I'm planning to tap off the balance lead of my flight pack for LED power.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Rather than run the two strings in series, you might be better off with the two strings in parallel and an appropriate dropping resistor.
If you run the LEDs off of the balance connector, your balancer will get a workout during charging since 3 cells will always be a lot lower than the other three.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #69 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinfool View Post
If you run the LEDs off of the balance connector, your balancer will get a workout during charging since 3 cells will always be a lot lower than the other three.
My point is: Running them in series should allow me to run the full 6S/22.2V across them with no power wasted in the form of heat dissipated by an extra resistor, so it's no different than running your BEC off the pack.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in