Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default converting gas to elec.?

So kinda new to planes so bare with me. I built the balesa wood trainer plane some years back and its just been hanging from my ceiling for awhile now. Its a gas plane, .20 size I believe, around a 30 inch wing span. Anyway, I was thinking of coverting it over to electric but have no idea what size stuff as far as motor and speed control I would need for this size plane. I would like to use some 6s 2800 30c batteries that I have for my trex 500, also have a cc 60amp esc that I was hoping to use. So any help would be great.
JStilt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok here we go:

good rule of thumb is 100W a lb so from your AUW estimate how much power you need

buy a motor of a little more than that power rateing that can run on 6S
buy the prop reccomended with that motor, if it's too big/small for the scale of your model get a higher/loewr kV motor which will swing a different prop (higher kV spins fster so takes smaller prop for same power)

calculatae the current draw you expect given the power you expect and your pack voltage given the equation I=P/V to size your ESC correctly and again make sure it is suitable for your voltage

having said that, gut feeling is your packs are waaaaaay too large and heavy. I have a 33" cub that flys on a 2S 800 mAh pack (around 10% of the weight of yours) just fine, my 70mph EDF jet was only using 2200mAh 3S and they were a bit oversized really. With that pack size your plane will be heavy with a high stall speed and thus very prone to landing damage and genreally a bit of a pig.

As a rough guess something around 300W running off a 3S 2200 or possibly smaller using a 30A ESC would do nicely, but weigh your plane first as even this might be overkill depending on your airframe weight. The pwer to weight ratio required also varies on whether you're flying scale, extreme 3D or somewhere in the middle, so post what your plane is or even a photo of it and I'm sure someone on here will help you out
Kington99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm way late on this but if your still looking. Go to the Hobby Lobby Web Site. Find an ARF that is the weight and size of your plane and use their component sizes, ESC, Motor & Battery.

Don S.
ds1rc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds1rc View Post
I'm way late on this but if your still looking. Go to the Hobby Lobby Web Site. Find an ARF that is the weight and size of your plane and use their component sizes, ESC, Motor & Battery.

Don S.
JStilt hope not tolate to help. Ifly notthing but elct. Iwould say your best bet is go to valuehobby.com They have all the info you need. There batt. are the best I have used! For exl. I have a 70 size D.F. jet. on one 4 cell 40c Igot 525 watts in on same size G-FORCE Igot 692 watts in.They have all the info. you need. elctflyeroldguy Good luck!
elctflyeroldguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

A park 450-480 motor 30/45a esc, 3cell 2200mah or higher should be ideal

typicaly with ep models is to go with the style of flying, and what speeds the model can take, if its a 3d model, typicaly you want more torque than speed, for faster planes you want a faster motor

another thing is to keep weight to a minumum, ep gear can typicaly weigh alot more than a ic engine and tank of fuel,
puggster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in