Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > NX4

NX4 Discussion and support of the Gaui NX4 Nitro Helicopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Governor

So I am planning on building an NX4 in the coming weeks and I am in the process of piecing together all the electronics as I'm just buying the Heli kit only.
I was wondering if I need to purchase a governor for sport flying, mild loops ,rolls ect.

If I did need the Governor which one is most compatible with AR7200BX as that is the flybarless unit I will be using.

Thanks.
Airsaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Governor

Yes you need a govenor...you will over rev the engine and bad things will happen..
I use the govenor function in my ikon for both the nx4 and my 700n so sorry cant help you pick one BUT YOU DO NEED ONE!

Sent from my Trex 700n using a DX8
charles.frank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Funny how times have changed when I used to fly Concept 30 we never used them.
Well might as well take advantage of technology..!!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah but still you do not need a Govenor
Blade3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Governor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3d View Post
Yeah but still you do not need a Govenor
I should have said YES I NEED A GOVENOR

Sent from my Trex 700n using a DX8
charles.frank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Governor

Lol. You don't "need" a gov. You can use throttle curves etc. Remember when we also had rev mix for the tail before heading hold gyros and before we could afford govs. Well some may

I would say you are better off with one in the end just for the convenience. Nothing beats knowing the workings of your heli and how to keep it tuned.... But a gov will take much of the guess work and frustrations out.

I can just here all the old timers "these kids nowadays got it so easy. With their fancy holding gyros, magnet engine rpm holders and push button glow lighters!!" Lol. Yep yep.

tauseef
www.cuttingedgecnc.com
Old 03-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Right..you are!

I could see if I were doing 3D but just flying around. I'll get the gov, but trying to set this thing up with all compatible equipment is a bit of a task as I see this wont work with that and so forth on some of these posts.

I have a Beast X but the problem is what the heck GOV do I use with it.

All in the fun of building it..
Old 03-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauscnc View Post
Lol. You don't "need" a gov. You can use throttle curves etc. Remember when we also had rev mix for the tail before heading hold gyros and before we could afford govs. Well some may

I would say you are better off with one in the end just for the convenience. Nothing beats knowing the workings of your heli and how to keep it tuned.... But a gov will take much of the guess work and frustrations out.

I can just here all the old timers "these kids nowadays got it so easy. With their fancy holding gyros, magnet engine rpm holders and push button glow lighters!!" Lol. Yep yep.

tauseef
www.cuttingedgecnc.com
+1 yes kid nowaday got it easy to play
Old 03-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Governor

You can use any gov with it.... The align one, the gaui one, throttle max etc. it won't matter because it will be independent of your Beastx.

I use an align one. You will mix flight mod to aux 2 or 3 and put a higher throttle curve in.... WaAaa laaa engine rpm control at your finger tips.

tauseef
www.cuttingedgecnc.com
Old 03-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsaw View Post
Right..you are!

I could see if I were doing 3D but just flying around. I'll get the gov, but trying to set this thing up with all compatible equipment is a bit of a task as I see this wont work with that and so forth on some of these posts.

I have a Beast X but the problem is what the heck GOV do I use with it.

All in the fun of building it..

look into the revmax and revglo. used together its a pretty slick unit. no button to push, nothing to carry around, just plug in the battery and start. the glo part of it, lights the glow plug as soon as it see the motor spinning.

Empire Hobby/ Team Gaui USA -- Rcbearings.com
-- Cyclone Blades -- Team KDE -- A-Main Hobbies -- OMG servos
dodgeboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Governor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy View Post
look into the revmax and revglo. used together its a pretty slick unit. no button to push, nothing to carry around, just plug in the battery and start. the glo part of it, lights the glow plug as soon as it see the motor spinning.
So cool. I hope my gov and pushglo break soon so I have just enough reason to get that lol.

tauseef
www.cuttingedgecnc.com
Old 03-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Areospire Multi Gov Pro is a really good governor. You can get it for about $85.00 with an LCD programmer that illeviates the need to do a lot of radio programming and complicated calculations to geuss at what RPM your running at in different flight modes. You just install the sensor and wire the unit in-line with your throttle servo. Then you plug it into your throttle channel mapped to operate off of your Flight Mode switch and select your 3 different RPMs for Normal, Idle Up 1, and Idle up 2 with the LCD programmer. I tried the Rev Max/Throttle Max with the glo igniter but couldn't get it to initialize properly (seems to be a common problem) and I'd have had to tach the head (2 person job that requires a tachometer) to confirm the head speeds. The Rev Max is better used as a rev limiter than a governor in my opinion. Look up the programming procedure for both the Rev Max / Multi Gov and you'll see that the Multi Gov is a lot more user friendly. That was my experience, others may have had a different experience, but I've tried them both and those are my observations.
jclutch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I could see future question will be Do I NEED a FBL system what will the new people say
Blade3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like all the great input, definitely helps in making better decision on which Gov I want to try out.

Will be ordering NX4 kit tomorrow. This will be great fun to build something quality..I have loved the Blade Heli's but it's time to move on.

Good thing I sold a bunch of Motorcycle Parts I've have laying around to fund this project.

I may even experiment with the SK720 as this might save my A$$ and the wallet
Old 03-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Governor

I just fine-tunned my Align governor on the NX4. It's the first time i fly a governed nitro (my 700N was my first nitro and I never got to the point of "need " the governor...) and it's really easier to keep the engine. The main point seems to be to "keep the engine from overspeeding"... and of course you can try this with your throttle curves. Actually, as a safety measure, it's a good idea to have a proper Thr. curve running despite of using a governor.

For me, with the Align governor and sensor, 85 % gave me about 2500rpm and 89.5% gave me 2700. Pretty sweet and the engine running happy and healthy! A friend helped me with the tach, by the way...

Anyway, I really recommend a governor, as the beginner I am! If you need some help with the tach, please ask me! Cheers...
orozco-contreras is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm just about to install an Align Gov to my NX4, are the % of throttle still as the above post, or is there any updated numbers with time and experience with this model?

Thanks, Rob.
TDRx2, Synergy N7/E7se/N5cTT, Align 450L/550/700e/700n, Gaui NX7/NX4, , Goblin 700/Black Nitro, Futaba 18MZ/ V-Control All on V-Bar's and S-Bus. #0095
rctintin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Governor

I'm running the the Gaui gov that they came out with on my nx4 and it's great it's runing an a beastx so it's not the ar7200bx bit it's a spektrum receiver. I am also runing a multigov pro on my outrage vol 50 with an ikon and it's great so any will work fine it's all in price and really what you want.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in