Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > Futaba 14MZ - 12Z

Futaba 14MZ - 12Z Futaba 14MZ and 12Z Help and features Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee View Post
Hi,

- and even if Futaba will come with something new a 14 MZ will still be modern for many years in future.

/Bo
no doubt about it!
neavissa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Folks,

JUST GOT MY 14MZ!!! Damn, what a nice radio! I was gonna go ahead and order some batteries for it. I don't see why they have to be genuine Futaba Batteries, so whats the bests aftermarket battery i can get for this thing? I did a search on Google and some sony batteries came up but they have a slightly higher voltage. I am pretty sure it wont hurt the radio but what about the charger? could i charge those aftermarket batteries with the futaba 14mz charger???

thanks,
G
Old 04-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No need to get Futaba batteries, they are expensive and the Sony batteries work just fine.

Your charger will have no worries charging the Sony battery

Mick

aussiemick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

coolio...gonna order two of them right now!

thanks,
G
Old 06-09-2010, 05:29 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I've had a couple of issues...

I got a 14MZ a cple mos back and just started recently using it and have run into what I would consider 2 major issues. The battery life is terrible - I read on here that somebody was getting 2 hours of use on a charge- my hat's off to that individual. If I get an hour I would be surprised. I've looked to see if the brightness was too high or the screen dimming delay was too long, but I haven't found any reason the battery life should be so poor short of a bad battery or just poor design. I have not had a chance to get more batteries.

The other issue was an almost immediate problem with the screen. It worked fine for a few days and then when I turned it on yesterday there was a spot on the lower right hand side that was giving continuous input and causing all sorts of problems. As I am in Iraq right now, having to send it back to Futaba for repair was not something I wanted to do. I had to disassemble the whole radio to see if something was pressing against the screen. Sure enough, there is a rubber seal all the way around the screen that was not seated properly in the plastic shell that was pushing against the screen and causing the issue. I fixed it, reassembled and the issue was fixed. Very irritating to have to do that for a 2200 dollar radio as it was a real pain to do.

Other than those two things, its a GREAT radio. I have been using it in 120F/50C weather here with no problems. LiPo's don't like it though, hehe..The manual sucks IMHO though...
Ishamiyal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishamiyal View Post
I got a 14MZ a cple mos back and just started recently using it and have run into what I would consider 2 major issues. The battery life is terrible - I read on here that somebody was getting 2 hours of use on a charge- my hat's off to that individual. If I get an hour I would be surprised. I've looked to see if the brightness was too high or the screen dimming delay was too long, but I haven't found any reason the battery life should be so poor short of a bad battery or just poor design. I have not had a chance to get more batteries.

The other issue was an almost immediate problem with the screen. It worked fine for a few days and then when I turned it on yesterday there was a spot on the lower right hand side that was giving continuous input and causing all sorts of problems. As I am in Iraq right now, having to send it back to Futaba for repair was not something I wanted to do. I had to disassemble the whole radio to see if something was pressing against the screen. Sure enough, there is a rubber seal all the way around the screen that was not seated properly in the plastic shell that was pushing against the screen and causing the issue. I fixed it, reassembled and the issue was fixed. Very irritating to have to do that for a 2200 dollar radio as it was a real pain to do.

Other than those two things, its a GREAT radio. I have been using it in 120F/50C weather here with no problems. LiPo's don't like it though, hehe..The manual sucks IMHO though...
Battery Life is know to be bad...not that bad though! I guess you have to get more batteries!
I am glad that you fixed the screen issue! I am always surprised as well how shitty a manual can be, especially with a high-end item like the 14mz. (I can say that the manual sucks because I never really read it! )

thanks,
G
Old 02-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Battery life...

Since now you can disable the back light you should be able to get much more time then before this option was available. The light will initially come on during boot-up but then will stay off. I proabaly get at least two hours of flight time now.

I find the back light's use doesn't do much good unless there is no sunlight available.

Michael
hpilotrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpilotrc View Post
Since now you can disable the back light you should be able to get much more time then before this option was available. The light will initially come on during boot-up but then will stay off. I proabaly get at least two hours of flight time now.

I find the back light's use doesn't do much good unless there is no sunlight available.

Michael
Good to know...

thanks,
G
Old 02-12-2011, 07:46 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i have had my 14mz since they became available, 5-6 yrs now, i use a seperate batt when programming, the included charger does not completely charge the batteries, i use a li-on charger and fromeco 2600 batts, would not change for any other radio, thinking of 8fgh for backup though, it is capable of 12-14 channel with s-bus. jmho, ron
T-rex 600 HFE Rotorworkz,#2 T-rex 600 HFE Rotorworkz, Tiger 50 w/hyper 50
T-rex 600 Nitro Pro, YS-50, MP-5, 6100t, 9255's,Futaba 14MZ 2.4 & 72mhz
Hotwings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

also, i hear that any new system futaba has will be upgradable with 14mz software
T-rex 600 HFE Rotorworkz,#2 T-rex 600 HFE Rotorworkz, Tiger 50 w/hyper 50
T-rex 600 Nitro Pro, YS-50, MP-5, 6100t, 9255's,Futaba 14MZ 2.4 & 72mhz
Hotwings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwings View Post
i have had my 14mz since they became available, 5-6 yrs now, i use a seperate batt when programming, the included charger does not completely charge the batteries, i use a li-on charger and fromeco 2600 batts, would not change for any other radio, thinking of 8fgh for backup though, it is capable of 12-14 channel with s-bus. jmho, ron
I have the 8FGH but I don't like the feel of it. It looks kinda cool but feels too cheap! Especially right after you handled a 14mz. I am thinking of getting a 12z as well and getting rid of my 8fgh...

G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in