Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Why is my tail kicking? ?

So I have the warp flying perfect...well, almost....

It's a warp
Scorpion 2520/1360
Hobbywing 50v3

It flies great...both lower and higher headspeed...from what I know the tail gear is stock...the guy I bought it from included a n.i.p 19t I believe...

When I hover, and give it quick collective inputs, the tail slightly kicks to the right, nose going left. I am using an ikon v2 and everything seems to be set up perfect...there's no wobble anywhere, absolutely no visible vibes.tracks perfect..the thing just flies that good.. I'm flying with the edge 60mm tail blades and zeal 350 mains..

I even took it out tonight and did a rate mode tail setup to the point that on my dx6i with the gyro at 40% the tail still held perfect...

Any ideas? Ive tweaked and tweaked and I cannot get rid of it...I'm also running 13 degrees pos/neg collective if that helps...
Maybe I should try the 19 tooth tail? ?

Any help is great guys...

Kevin
kev0712 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 06:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 19 is not the ticket, cause it will reduce tail authority, it is only needed for 3500 HS to keep that fast tail in safe levels.

That little kick may be due to

-FBL setup
-Mechanical setup: here slop is the enemy, check if both ball links are tight, the ones in the grips also and the slider bushing
-Slow servo
-Too much mechanical gain: using a to long servo arm, mine is at first hole 8mm.

Good luck
Old 08-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with what Luigi cited above as the most likely causes of the tail kick described above.

On the subject of tail pulley sized, I respectfully disagree with Luigi a bit here-I have flown the Warp (Warp #1 for me) with both the 17 and 19 tooth tail gears, and found the tail to be a bit more solid with the 19 tooth than the 17. When I switched from the 17 to the 19, I could turn the gyro gain up quite a bit (also had to increase the Tail Dynamic on the Warp which has the AR7200BX on it). For me, the ability to run higher gain yielded a tail was more solid with the 19t.

Warp #2 was purchased used from a friend and was already equipped with the 19t pulley. This one has a Robird in it for an FBL unit and has an ever better holding tail than the BeastX equipped one (both have the same servos, ESC, etc).

I should point out that different people have different experiences with the tail gearing. As I recall, Bob O's experience is closer to Luigi's-he too prefers the 17t, if memory serves.

All of this is, of course, very, very subjective.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your replies and that is very understandable...when you say different poeople have different experiences is 100% true....a lot of times I just have to "try for myself"although I think I'm keeping the 17 ATM, I found another post directing to up settings in the advanced menu of the ikon and it worked perfectly....

Again, thanks guys....

Kevin
kev0712 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is curious, Ah Clem.
More gain is always good, but the ratio gain/tail RPM should be similar in both options.
Could it be because of a better tail hold from the Robird?
Old 08-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Could it be because of a better tail hold from the Robird??

That would explain the tail behavior of Warp #2 (which was assembled with a Robird and the 19t pulley), but not Warp #1. #1 still retains its AR7200BX and the tail hold was markedly better with the 19t and much higher gain, than it was with the 17t and lower gain.

On Warp #1, I had to run relatively low gain with the 17t, but was able to increase the gain quite a bit more with the 19t prior to the onset of wagging.

One thing that I have see over time is that different users can have vastly different experiences with the same exact equipment. This is true whether it is with model helicopters, full-sized automobiles, model trains, stationary steam engines, etc.

You and I have just had different experiences on this one, my friend.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

So it seems Sir
19t pulley could be worth a try, not sure on possible lack of hold at low rpm, when really loaded.
But it could be fine, those massive tail grips make a wide rotor.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I noticed my tail started kicking out more and more over a few flights.
Turned out my tail pitch slider arms were developing play.
They were two years old, and the first thing I have had to replace on my heli.
What a solid bird
weelee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in