Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Outrage Fusion 50

Outrage Fusion 50 Outrage Fusion 50 Electric Helicopter Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Just Won A Fusion 50!

I just won a fusion 50 kit at a fun fly this past weekend. It's just the airframe, no blades or electronics.

I see that these just got discontinued, and parts are going to probably get scarce. What should I do with it? build, it sell it? It's a very nice looking bird, and I feel like I'd enjoy a 600 size heli, but I see there are issues with TT gears stripping, then there's the possible future parts availability issues. This kit has black gears, is that the latest ones? The kit number is KR50F02.

Just not sure what to do with it. Any thoughts/advise is welcomed.
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Fusion 50

Congratulations, I got my Fusion 50 for a trade about 2 months ago and love the heli. It is my first move to a larger heli than the TREX 450 pro dfc. It looks like you have a nice fleet already, but I have been very happy with the Fusion doing moderate 3D. They sell at option hobby for $299 and it includes the upgraded CNC boom mount and gears. The only concern is that parts are sporadic and no one is sure about the future of Outrage.
vburge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Is the upgraded cnc boom mount and gears a necessary upgrade to avoid gear strip issues?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Fusion is a really nice flying heli. But depending on how you fly, you may or may not have a problem with tail gears. If you regularly do maneuvers that overspeed the head and/or a lot of piroing with reversals, the gears will eventually strip. Also it is a good idea to keep head speed 2200 or under to help TT gear longevity.

Your black gears could be good, there was a lot of inconsistency in the strength of the black gears. The best TT gears are the Retrofit ones from Outrage, they have larger gear teeth. Also I would recommend the CNC main gear from outrage, that thing will never strip.

Personally I never stripped a gear in flight on my Fusion 50 running 2200 head speed and doing sport flying/big air/light 3d.

This is of course assuming you kept it. As the previous poster said, no one is sure of the future parts supply but as long as there is enough demand I think Outrage and option hobby will continue supporting parts.

Also the Fusions gear train is loud in the air... but I could just be spoiled by my protos.

If you are going to sell I would say do not build it, just sell it as is. Once you build it you probably will not want to sell...
Old 03-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy77611 View Post
Is the upgraded cnc boom mount and gears a necessary upgrade to avoid gear strip issues?
The cnc boom mount from optionhobby is nice but does not allow you to run the Retrofit gears from outrage which are stronger than the cnc gears from optionhobby.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's a great flying heli. I would build it and fly it. Not much to lose. If you don't want to buy all the electronics you could borrow off one of your other helis (except will still need blades and possibly motor). If you do that you will to want to keep it!

I have the Option Hobby gears - not necessarily a must have. Some will say they are worse than the black. The only time I have ever stripped a tail gear is when the tail has touched the ground from a botched auto or when the tail touched a bottle during a 'bottle knock' event at a fun fly.

Its true that parts are hard to find. If you sell that airframe it won't yield another 600
* Futaba 14SG
Arcturus97 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
The cnc boom mount from optionhobby is nice but does not allow you to run the Retrofit gears from outrage which are stronger than the cnc gears from optionhobby.
What part doesn't fit?

I managed to fit them in my Option Hobby boom block. I had to shorten the tt spline screw since it was rubbing the interior bore of the boom block. Seems to work fine.
Flown on Jeti DS-16, Brain2, RCHN #222
MKS Servos, Scorpion Tribunus, MSH P700, Synergy e5s, N5cTT
Dmaxison is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was referring to this post:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...12#post5010612
If yours fits then maybe there is some variation in either the retrofit outrage tt gears or the boom blocks themselves.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
I was referring to this post:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...12#post5010612
If yours fits then maybe there is some variation in either the retrofit outrage tt gears or the boom blocks themselves.
Thanks for pointing out that thread. I did shim my gear to tighten the mesh. Otherwise no issue with fitting the Outrage gears. When I first installed my O.H. gears and case I had to slot the holes slightly due to the tight fit with the auto gear.

What do you think about the slant main gear? Worth the money and hassle of swapping over?
Flown on Jeti DS-16, Brain2, RCHN #222
MKS Servos, Scorpion Tribunus, MSH P700, Synergy e5s, N5cTT
Dmaxison is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 12:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxison View Post
Thanks for pointing out that thread. I did shim my gear to tighten the mesh. Otherwise no issue with fitting the Outrage gears. When I first installed my O.H. gears and case I had to slot the holes slightly due to the tight fit with the auto gear.

What do you think about the slant main gear? Worth the money and hassle of swapping over?
I would say probably not. I have the slant gear in my stretched fusion and while it does make the heli quieter, the tt gears are still very noisy so not sure its really worth it for sound alone.

Also later in that same thread I linked you (I think it was that thread) OnTheSnap said he stripped his slant main gear in flight as well. Since the current outrage cnc main gear is bulletproof I don't really see much reason to get the slant.

Not to mention there was a recent thread about option hobby not delivering an order and no response to emails after 45 days or however long. But no harm in trying, you can always file a dispute and get your money back.

Also if you currently use a 13t pinion with the straight gear you will want to get an Align 10t slant pinion to get the same gear ratio as 13t with straight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in