Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Becomming less enamoured with the as3Xtra

The more I've flown the as3Xtra, the less I'm liking it.... It IS amazing how well it hovers & torquerolls, but it's something of a freakshow. Once you've played with a it a bit it really is something of a bore that doesn't really fly that well on the wing.
Centurian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Attn Plank Fans... cool HH micro planks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian View Post
The more I've flown the as3Xtra, the less I'm liking it.... It IS amazing how well it hovers & torquerolls, but it's something of a freakshow. Once you've played with a it a bit it really is something of a bore that doesn't really fly that well on the wing.
Thanks for that, you just saved me $100
Old 01-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphadek View Post
Oh and Terry - I did order the floats, waiting on them to come in. From videos I have seen you can use them on snow .. and given that I live in Canada... that was a big selling feature for me.

When/if the plane ends up submerged in the water... how do the electronics hold up? I imagine I'm bound to have a bad landing on water sooner or later. I obviously don't plan to fly it on water until I'm confident with it though...

Thanks!
Funny enough when mine flipped in the water it floated on the wing, so most of the electrics stayed dry, quick spray of deoxit and away it went again. But if you need to cut in to it be careful of the antenna it's a small copper wire prone to breaking off if moved to often. The floats can be used off snow and damp grass. It takes a crash surprisingly well also, I smashed into the ground flat out with it once and all that happened was the nose crumpled a little, a little boiling water and it was good as new. I must get around to getting another one of them, it was my first plank also, and it started a whole new branch of the addiction for me.
terryv83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 10:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
Thanks for that, you just saved me $100
Funny you should pop in here... I've been considering 1s brushless options for the Xtra and I'm not finding much out there. I am curious if you have any thrust/amp/prop numbers on the 4kv HP03t you sell on 1s? Looks like it might be the best option. I have a xp7 laying here so would be a pretty easy conversion. Any thoughts?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Funny you should pop in here... I've been considering 1s brushless options for the Xtra and I'm not finding much out there. I am curious if you have any thrust/amp/prop numbers on the 4kv HP03t you sell on 1s? Looks like it might be the best option. I have a xp7 laying here so would be a pretty easy conversion. Any thoughts?
Well..

I don't have any data on that really, I know an HP02 geared spanks the ap03 direct drive on 1s, and most go with the ap05 DD to get some decent power, (the ap03 doesn't do well with larger than 4" props or so) but it adds weight, and is harder on batteries.

I was almost thinking of buying the xtra just to figure out a geared brushless setup for it, that will work with the stock batteries, and be lighter than the brushed motor setup.

Lots of info on rcgroups over the last several years about brushless setups for the 1s UM planes. General consensus is the AP05 is best for DD, HP02 and 03 are best geared, and are lighter and more efficient, but less durable, and no good commercially available gearboxes for them really (which is something I might want to change)
Old 01-09-2014, 11:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
Well..

I don't have any data on that really, I know an HP02 geared spanks the ap03 direct drive on 1s, and most go with the ap05 DD to get some decent power, (the ap03 doesn't do well with larger than 4" props or so) but it adds weight, and is harder on batteries.

I was almost thinking of buying the xtra just to figure out a geared brushless setup for it, that will work with the stock batteries, and be lighter than the brushed motor setup.

Lots of info on rcgroups over the last several years about brushless setups for the 1s UM planes. General consensus is the AP05 is best for DD, HP02 and 03 are best geared, and are lighter and more efficient, but less durable, and no good commercially available gearboxes for them really (which is something I might want to change)
On that note, you should get one! The stock power system is just adequate. I have some 45c bats on the way which seems to be the best current solution. I saw a RCG post on putting a brushless motor in the stock gearbox (same box, different plane if memory serves) that I haven't come across again. I think the issue was gearing. With an eccentric bushing and a different pinion I think you could have a very marketable product. Keep me posted!

Having dug around a bit on RCG, it's really amazing what has been done with variable pitch props, coaxial drives and thrust vectoring.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
On that note, you should get one! The stock power system is just adequate. I have some 45c bats on the way which seems to be the best current solution. I saw a RCG post on putting a brushless motor in the stock gearbox (same box, different plane if memory serves) that I haven't come across again. I think the issue was gearing. With an eccentric bushing and a different pinion I think you could have a very marketable product. Keep me posted!

Having dug around a bit on RCG, it's really amazing what has been done with variable pitch props, coaxial drives and thrust vectoring.
For sure.

The problem with a brushless motor in the stock gearbox is the brass bushings on the prop shaft. A carbon or g10 gearbox with bearings would be best.. I'll see if I can dig up the old threads, someone did a ton of work developing, but it never caught on because you had to make the gearbox yourself. Plank guys tend to hate gearboxes for some reason, even though they have never tried it to see how much better it is to have a high kv outrunner geared vs low kv DD.

Im stupid conscious about weight, and will go to great lengths...
Old 01-10-2014, 12:36 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did some digging for you (and me)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...820881&pp=100&
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1549707&page=2
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207845
Old 01-10-2014, 06:40 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

i love the as3xtra its the perfect size for a small backyard on a calm day.. well for me at least.. its not a rocket like the other UMx models but its nice for me to just charge up some batteries and get that fix without leaving the house and loading up for a few hours at the flying field.
bladeguy5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 01:29 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Attn Plank Fans... cool HH micro planks

I got one of these asx3's about a month ago. I've yet to fly it tho because of the weather here blows! And I've yet to make one of the indoor flys. I am curious how much durability is sacrificed when is single digit temps out!??? Seems like that's the only time the wind isn't blow'n 30 mph or better!!

I would be interested in a BL conversion too. What I have heard tho is people taking the electronics out to use in a yak. Many of my friends have expensive yaks. Yeah, they fly great. I just did not want to spend 300 bucks or the time to build one. I still have helis that need to be built! The idea of a Bnf is pretty cool and I like the idea of using the electronics out of it after some hits ca won't fix!
I didn't care about planes anymore really...until someone brought out a habu and a mig out to the Heli field.

Someone should post a video of it fly'n outside.
Happy fly'n!!!
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - sorry for typos!!!
audacity is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm loving my AS3xtra, pretty beat up now after a couple slaps but I have a replacement airframe coming in next week. Great little plane.

For a little more oomph use the old Sukoi 160mm prop PKZ3502.
I'll be giving it a go once my plane is back up. I've read on RCG it's a decent mod.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:18 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too have the umx beast 3d. This is a great bird. I have done some upgrades that make it even better.

Get some .5mm carbon fiber rods and attach it to the leading edge of wing with thin foam safe glue. Then scotch tape leading edge as well.

Change the prop to a gws5030

Change out motor to the 180 3000kv motor and remember to swap any two wires to change prop direction.

Get some good 240mah batteries.

Mine flys great and has lasted forever like this. Lots of power with smooth flights. The carbon fiber and tape make the plane a lot stronger. Ill try to post pictures later.
Temptation is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in