Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default #11 HD keycam on MiniProtos (450)

Look out big $$ aerial videographers...the $40 spycam is coming up in the rear view mirror quickly!

Some ghetto-graphy testing....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAtRCiRyWr0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyPPgxcDMjE[/ame]

High-Tech mounting...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3525.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	241495  
SidewaysLS4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

One more with smoother flying. A little wildlife photography to start, then a bit of seeing what's happening in various backyards, and at 2:12 I believe that someone is peering out the window at the ghettobird

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOmDs3vne40[/ame]
Old 07-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The video is really good for a little key cam, where did you get it?
Raptor620 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got one of those #11 keychain cameras but on mine I always get the bad Jello Effect from all of the helicopter vibrations. Your video looks very smooth that is nice. also yours sounds quieter, mine has very loud engine noise.
Good job on the mounting, I guess I'll have to try that to see if it makes a steady picture.

Quote:
You can buy them on eBay just make sure you are getting a true 720p HD #11, there are many variations some are up-scaled from low resolution. There are instructions and video's online about flashing the firmware to remove the timestamp from the image.
Copter64 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got one of those #11 keychain cameras but on mine I always get the bad Jello Effect from all of the helicopter vibrations. Your video looks very smooth that is nice. also yours sounds quieter, mine has very loud engine noise.
Good job on the mounting, I guess I'll have to try that to see if it makes a steady picture.

Quote:
You can buy them on eBay just make sure you are getting a true 720p HD #11, there are many variations some are up-scaled from low resolution. There are instructions and video's online about flashing the firmware to remove the timestamp from the image.

I use mine as a hat-cam, recording everytime I fly just incase something good or stupid happens. it works good for that just tape it to the brim of your hat.
Copter64 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mine's from ebay...hxelepro360. Check out this thread, loads of info on these things...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362692

I've tried 'soft' mounts, I think they are the cause of vibrations allowing the cam to move independantly of the aircraft. Nailed down to the battery is waaay better than my soft mount efforts. Re the noise...the MiniProtos is all belt drive, no gear noises. Really quiet bird
Old 07-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
I've tried 'soft' mounts, I think they are the cause of vibrations allowing the cam to move independantly of the aircraft.
I agree. You need Mass to dampen the high frequency vibrations common in a heli. A soft mount lets the camera move around, and it's mass is small, so it can move a lot. The heli itself is much heavier, rigidly mounting the camera to that Mass means the excitation has to move the entire heli before it can move the camera.

When I first bought one last year, I did my initial playing around with a keychain spycam mounted with velcro to the underside of the frame, and the results were poor. Then I machined a mount from ABS that locks on to the canopy, and the video quality improved significantly.
RocketSled is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Although this camera is a great improvement on the non-HD spycam, if you watch the video full screen mode you will still notice the jello effect, I guess more dampening is needed. Nice smooth flying though
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pril250 View Post
Although this camera is a great improvement on the non-HD spycam, if you watch the video full screen mode you will still notice the jello effect, I guess more dampening is needed. Nice smooth flying though
Alas, with these small cameras, there's no getting rid of the jello effect completely. It's a function of the way they work, progressive scan not shuttered. If the camera moves, it causes an offset between the video wherever it happens to be in the scan. Simply panning the camera quickly will do it, even if rigidly mounted to a solid surface. Objects moving quickly enough in the frame will do it, too, even if the camera is stationary.
RocketSled is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in