Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RĒzĒ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How-To: Coordinted and Uncoordinated Controls

This is a lesson about some revelations I had early on when learning my orientations. It's what I like to call coordinated and uncoordinated controls. Simply put coordinated controls are when you are using rudder and aileron in the same direction and uncoordinated controls are when you are using rudder and aileron in the opposite directions. For example:

Nose forward flight: Coordinated
Tail forward flight: Uncoordinated

Meaning if you are flying nose forward you will use rudder and aileron in the same direction whenever you turn or bank, and opposite directions with backwards flight. This becomes obvious and natural after flying for some time, but at first it's good to keep this in mind to help know what inputs you need to use.

Also here's how you fly funnels:
  • Nose down funnels: Coordinated
  • Tail down funnels: Uncoordinated
It's actually easier to just remember that Nose down funnels are the same coordination as nose forward flight, and tail down funnels are the same coordination as tail forward flight. This works out well because this also applies to inverted flight...
  • Inverted Nose forward flight: Uncoordinated
  • Inverted Tail forward flight: Coordinated
and
  • Inverted Nose down funnels: Uncoordinated (same as Inverted Nose Forward flight)
  • Inverted Tail down funnels: Coordinated (same as Inverted Tail forward flight)
---

So weather you're just starting out with some simple forward or backwards circuits, or funnels, or inverted flight just keep these coordinations in mind and it will help remove some of the dumb thumbs until it all becomes natural.

Here is another interesting tidbit of information about coordinations...

Whenever you are flying coordinated flight, pulling back on the elevator will pitch the heli upwards (or pull the heli up). If you are ever flying an uncoordinated orientation pushing forward on the elevator will pull the heli upwards.

So for example upright nose forward and inverted tail forward orientations, which are both coordinated orientations, will use back elevator to pull up...
r40334 likes this.
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
  • Inverted Tail forward flight: Coordinated
  • Inverted Nose forward flight: Uncoordinated
Whenever you are flying coordinated flight, pulling back on the elevator will pitch the heli upwards (or pull the heli up). If you are ever flying an uncoordinated orientation pushing forward on the elevator will pull the heli upwards.

So for example upright nose forward and inverted tail forward orientations, which are both coordinated orientations, will use back elevator to pull up...
If you're inverted, whether moving tail or nose forward, pulling the stick back will result in pitching groundwards.
mlatter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlatter View Post
If you're inverted, whether moving tail or nose forward, pulling the stick back will result in pitching groundwards.
maybe you misunderstood what I meant. For example when flying upright nose forward if you pull back on the elevator you are pulling the heli up and into the sky. You get the same result when you pull back the elevator flying inverted tail forward. Both are "coordinated".

When flying uncoordinated you will push forward to in essence "pull back" (to direct the heli up towards the sky). This goes for upright tail forward flight and inverted nose forward flight. Both are "uncoodinated"
RĒzĒ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You are, of course, correct. Thanks for the clarification.

Murray
mlatter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

All this was one of my first and I believe most important revelations when I was first learning. Definetly a "click" moment.

DL
MAAC #85462
Down Low is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is helping me a lot - thanks a ton! Funnels have been my challenge on Phoenix for a month or two :-O
matthewcornell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you . helping me a lot
Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ummm... what exactly is a funnel?
Is there a guide somewhere that explains the basic heli manouevers?
FlyingRadioWaves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Follow this link

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=248274
Old 08-15-2012, 05:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I read this about two weeks ago and with some practice I am able to due funnels now with ease nose in/tail in inverted as well. It was one of the helping hand.
AMA#914306
JohnDoe. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in