Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters > RCDN 500 Nitro Conversion

RCDN 500 Nitro Conversion R/C Depot Hobbies RCDN 500 Nitro Conversion Kit Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Anyone still frying these RCDN convertions?

How many of you guys are still flying the RCDN500? I have built mine up, but its just too cold every weekend (the days I have off of work.) So, this bird has sat ever since and hasn't yet flown. I can't wait for a nice day out to have a maiden flight.

I'm just curious how many of you are using the RCDN kits...ashamed they had to stop making them...I guess from non-sales. There are some replacement parts online, but not much. I had to get creative w/ the broken plastic cooling fan...the thread below this one (probably.)

Last edited by SKYQUEST; 03-10-2012 at 06:54 AM..
SKYQUEST is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ummm...132 views and not one of you commented???

I guess that answers my question...I am the only one flying a converted 500.

Well, thats sort of cool being I'm the only one...it is a great heli.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a converted 500 with the old conversion kit from RCDN. Mine has the OS 37 that was used in the later kits. I maidened it 2 days ago when the weather here in Wisconsin has gotten a little nicer and its a sweet little heli. I'm really going to enjoy it as long as the 600N I have coming doesn't take all of my attention up this summer.
700N YS.91 600N Pro OS 50 Hyper, GY611, 600E Pro All stock, Spartan Quark, NX4 OS 37, BeastX, HK250 DFC, Tarot ZYX-S, UMX Beast, X525 Quad with camera gimbal, HK control board, Spektrum DX7, Pheonix Sim v4.0
AMA# 97405
Bengsch85 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice...I thought I was the only one. I'm using the same kit...just have to finish hooking up the rx, etc.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are the kits still available?
Old 03-27-2012, 02:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wish someone was still making them
Gator1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There is a new kit out there. I forget who makes it but I cab look it up later today.
700N YS.91 600N Pro OS 50 Hyper, GY611, 600E Pro All stock, Spartan Quark, NX4 OS 37, BeastX, HK250 DFC, Tarot ZYX-S, UMX Beast, X525 Quad with camera gimbal, HK control board, Spektrum DX7, Pheonix Sim v4.0
AMA# 97405
Old 03-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Iv had mine for a while now. But few flight due to the broken cooling fan like you. I broke off the other blades to balance it out. And I can tell you the cooling is not enough. I use 30% nitro and running rich. And it got so hot my canopy was melted. So I am searching for an electric fan to convert it.
But I really enjoyed my few flights. Being able to fly non stop for hour or so. Not waiting on batteries.
scribble0073300 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

And the new kit is a bit different. Its called the "Jurassic 500N" I believe.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

[QUOTE=scribble0073300;3799098]Iv had mine for a while now. But few flight due to the broken cooling fan like you. I broke off the other blades to balance it out. And I can tell you the cooling is not enough. I use 30% nitro and running rich. And it got so hot my canopy was melted. So I am searching for an electric fan to convert it.
[QUOTE]

I know mine still has all the fins on my fan but with it like that it cools really well. 120F on the backplate and around 200F at the plug running with a good tune. Does a few fins missing make that big of a difference?
AMA# 97405
Old 03-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

It did for me I believe. its been a little while since its last flight. And I dont have a temp guage. But with the canopy it was was hot, way too hot. Made my canopy pliable like tin foil. Without, it was better, but hotter then im ok with.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

I used a 60mm pc cooling fan to replace the one that came w/ it. I have a Microcenter (a pc warehouse) 3 mins away so, I took that hub piece in the middle of the fan on the heli to the pc store to size it up. I had to obviously gut the electric motor out, but it almost fit 100% perfectly. (The original fan is a pc cooling fan...I can def tell it is by looking at it.) It works pretty well, but I found that by moving the fan shroud off of the head, you get WAY more air flow. (I was running hot too.) I have enlarged the hole in the canopy for more fresh, cooler air to come in. I've also riveted a metal heat shield on to the canopy to block the muffler heat. Looks tough to say the least.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Iv been meaning to change out my fan. I kept thinking of putting an electric one in there. Just didnt know where.
Can you describe more what you mean by dremeling out the fan hub?
And when you moved the fan cover? You mean put a bigger gap between the fiberglass shroud thing and motor head?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribble0073300 View Post
Iv been meaning to change out my fan. I kept thinking of putting an electric one in there. Just didnt know where.
Can you describe more what you mean by dremeling out the fan hub?
And when you moved the fan cover? You mean put a bigger gap between the fiberglass shroud thing and motor head?
Yep, I simply moved the existing fan shroud off of the head a little bit and tightened down the 2 screws to hold it in place...look at the fins...how can air go through when the shroud is up against the head?...It can NOT really.
I "bench tested" the engine's fan operation by getting my starter and I took the glow plug out. I just ran the starter and moved the shroud w/ my hand underneath to see what got more airflow...moving it off DEF gave it more airflow. Now I'm thinking, when the throttle is open (flying), doesn't that suck the air away from goin over the head?...I'm guessing yes. If you were to look at the fan shroud on a trex 600, it is encased completely until it gets to the head. (Throttle opening blocked off by the shroud.)
I also closed off the behind the fan because air was just leaking all into the frame.
Man, this kit wouldve been PERFECT if the fan shroud was designed properly...this one has the right idea, but its not engineered 100% perfect.

At any rate, I got me a pc electric cooling fan and gutted out the motor and everything until it was bare.
If you remove the existing fan that came w/ the rcdn kit, you'll see the plastic "hub" inside of that fan. (I'm 99% sure this kit's original fan is a 60mm pc fan to begin with.)
So, I gutted the new fan and to make that plastic "hub" fit in the new fan hole I had to use a dremmel w/ a barrel sander tip and open the hole a LITTLE bit to make that plastic hub fit nice. I then had to make the 3 holes for the set screws. (DONT overtighten these!!! they will strip as they are anchored in plastic only!)

Hope this helped.
I to be honest am sort of tired of my rcdn and may part it out soon to fund another heli project (not too sure yet...see how tomorrows flight makes me feel. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0449[1].jpg
Views:	381
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	305464   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0450[1].jpg
Views:	408
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	305465   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0453[1].jpg
Views:	377
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	305466   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0452[1].jpg
Views:	365
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	305467   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0454[1].jpg
Views:	309
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	305468  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0455[1].jpg
Views:	289
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	305469   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0456[1].jpg
Views:	280
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	305485  

Last edited by SKYQUEST; 04-07-2012 at 03:00 AM.. Reason: added pics
Old 04-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks alot. Guess Im gonna hit me up a radioshack or something tomorrow.
Ill try moving the shroud around. and i have some fiberglass stuff for my jet skis. maybe a super thin layer to remold the shroud the way it should be will help
Old 04-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribble0073300 View Post
Thanks alot. Guess Im gonna hit me up a radioshack or something tomorrow.
Ill try moving the shroud around. and i have some fiberglass stuff for my jet skis. maybe a super thin layer to remold the shroud the way it should be will help
Sounds good man. The canopy getting so hot it got soft is DEF waaay too hot! Wow! Good luck man.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Even though this thread is kinda dead
I FINALLY after a year and some change. Got my 500N flying.
And I think I'm really gonna like it. Just got to get the engine tuned so I can really tear into it. Just need some help from my local nitro heli fliers on that portion. Since I haven't ever done nitro air. Just a few Tmaxx's
Though, Im already drooling over the new NX4.
Anyone got or getting one?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I actually sold my rcdn 500 to fund my NX4. I'm definitely loving it!
AMA# 97405
Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you tell me what kind of throttle curve you were running before you sold it?
I cant seem to find that info.
For normal, sport and 3d modes

Thanks
Old 11-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was running an align governor on it so I didn't run curves. That, plus setup, electronics, and engine tune all effect curves so its tough to give a generalized one. I ran 2800rpm as my top headspeed in idle up 2 but ungoverned at 100 throttle it would unload above 3000. I don't know if that helps or not but with nitro you start with a general idea and adjust it by taching the headspeed. There is some starter curves in the 600 nitro forum somewhere that might be a good starting point. I could find that thread tonight for you.
AMA# 97405

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in