Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Fried my 2nd esc during build- help

Hello, I'm currently building a trex 500 model with flybar, and the finless videos have been extremely helpful. I'm on gyro setup, and the first time I plugged everything in (except the motor) the ESC let the smoke out when power was applied. This is the stock Align 70a esc and a gp790 gyro. Tonight I hooked up a new ESC, powered the gyro, elev, pitch, and aileron servos no problem. Hooked up the tail servo to the gyro and poof- all the smoke got let out again...... Tail servo is an align DS 520. Hookups were as follows to a spektrum 6 channel ar6210: esc to throttlle (ch 1),aileron to ch 2, elevator to channel 3, gyro to channel 4, gyro gain to channel 5, pitch to channel 6. Appears to me problem has to be in gyro or tail servo, unless I'm missing something, how can I narrow it down without blowing up another ESC? Thanks in advance for any help.
Jaxfan08 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Did you use the same tail servo from the first burn out? It might have burned up and will fry stuff if connected to anything.
Since you said you had everything powered up and there was no problem UNITL you plugged in the tail servo.. I would look there first. Have another tail servo to try? Or a servo tester?
If the tail servo is shot, and you hooked it up a second time, it will fry something. ( The ESC's internal BEC is probably what went..)
I'm not familiar with the GP790, but on Spartan gyro's, you CANT hook up the servo until the proper setting for THAT servo are set first, otherwise you risk frying the servo as soon as power is connected. Alot of guys fry very expensive servos because they hook them up BEFORE making sure what the gyro is set for. Again, not sure if this is the same for the GP790.
Your not using an external BEC are you?
I am also not sure if the BEC in the Align ESC has the capability to set the BEC voltage or not, but perhaps the BEC is set too low and the minute the tail servo is hooked up, its overloaded?? ( Shouldnt be this.. Aligns are default for the kits servos..)
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are supposed to set up gyro step one and two without plugging in the tail into the gyro.
These are the default settings
1. Standard 1520 (green light)
2. Digital ( green light)
3. Normal (green light)
4. Limit
5. Medium/ large Heli 500/600/700 (green light)

I too am running the stock servo DS520
Although I checked step 1 and 2 before plugging in the servo it was factory set perfectly anyways. So I don't think that's what happened to you. The only thing I had to do was set the limits everything else was already set properly with the default settings. Hope this helps. Oh and my gyro if coarse is the gp790 and my kit was the trex 500e ( FB Heli)

HK250SR,Blade 450 3D,Blade 450 X,DX6I, Phoenix V4,Nano CPX, ( Newborn baby Trex 500)
Old 12-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also is it possible that you are plugging in the tail servo backwards. Looking down at the gyro the black wire goes to the far right side( port side). As in this picture from the manual.

HK250SR,Blade 450 3D,Blade 450 X,DX6I, Phoenix V4,Nano CPX, ( Newborn baby Trex 500)
Old 12-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

IMO- Align 70 amp esc's suck. I went thru 3 of them in 2 years. One smoked for no reason, the other two the caps just vibrated off. I then went with Hobbywing 80amp esc and have never had a problem in the esc dept.
If you do decide to stay with the Align 70amp. Be sure and shrink wrap those caps in place.
Dejavu*Xion is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You know what worries me. When I only had blade helis everyone said how great align is. Everything align is perfect and now that I built my first align kit I've been noticing comments like above about align parts sucking. I hope I didn't get a dud I didn't even realize that would be the case? But despite I love my trex 500. It's a beast. Good luck with your esc issues.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

does the 60amp have the same issues?
Blade 130X - Lynx EOX / Blade 300x - AR7200BX, 2213-3585 / Trex 500ESP DFC - AR7200BX, 500MX / Trex 550e DFC - AR7200BX, 600MX / TSA 600e Pro - AR7200BX, 700MX / TBS Discovery FPV - APM, Sunnysky 980kv/ DX8
jabu32 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur3 View Post
You know what worries me. When I only had blade helis everyone said how great align is. Everything align is perfect and now that I built my first align kit I've been noticing comments like above about align parts sucking. I hope I didn't get a dud I didn't even realize that would be the case? But despite I love my trex 500. It's a beast. Good luck with your esc issues.

No matter what you buy, or how much you spend, somebody thinks it's junk!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur3 View Post

What parts were ""sucking"" ?????

If you were looking for better parts then you should of bought the Pro Version.

if you buy the cheaper option of any product, then expect cheaper parts to be supplied....... that's why there is a difference in price between base models and top end models of any product.

nbells.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbells View Post
What parts were ""sucking"" ?????

If you were looking for better parts then you should of bought the Pro Version.

if you buy the cheaper option of any product, then expect cheaper parts to be supplied....... that's why there is a difference in price between base models and top end models of any product.

nbells.
As mentioned above the "esc" I'm not saying mine. Mine went together without a hitch. It was a pleasure to build. I'm just saying over in the blade forums people never mention anything bad about align. So I was shocked when I came to the 500 forum and started finding problems people where having with stick parts. That's all. Besides I think the pro and the e both have the same esc.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dont let my words discourage anyone from align. Overall align is Good quality. I would give them 8 out of 10. I have built them all. From 450 - 600's. And the only problem with align i have had was just their 70amp esc's.
All of their servos, Gyros, motors ect.. have worked out great for me. I have an align 100amp esc in my 600 and an align 35amp in my 450 And they have been doing well for going on 3 years now.
Its just those damn 70amp esc's That were made wrong. They "align" should have shrink wrapped those long caps in place. They are also known to short out, ( smoke) becous a foam tab was not inserted between heatsink and electronics. Its a live and learn hobby. And align is by far better then any blade product. Of course that last line is my opinion and not a fact. Personaly I say just wash your hands of the 70amp and go with a hobbywing or a yep from hobbyking.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabu32 View Post
does the 60amp have the same issues?

I have yet to ever read a bad report on the 60amp
Old 12-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

that's what i want to hear
Blade 130X - Lynx EOX / Blade 300x - AR7200BX, 2213-3585 / Trex 500ESP DFC - AR7200BX, 500MX / Trex 550e DFC - AR7200BX, 600MX / TSA 600e Pro - AR7200BX, 700MX / TBS Discovery FPV - APM, Sunnysky 980kv/ DX8
jabu32 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in