Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > FPV hardware and Electronics (Goggles, VTx, Antennas, Ground Stations, FPV Cameras, etc.)

FPV hardware and Electronics (Goggles, VTx, Antennas, Ground Stations, FPV Cameras, etc.) FPV hardware and Electronics (Goggles, VTx, Antennas, Ground Stations, FPV Cameras, etc.)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Patch or cannon

Im shopping for better Video receiver antennas . I'm using a Black Pearl Diversity Monitor and its time to upgrade my set up. Not sure if I'm better off getting a 5 turn cannon or a Patch , I've been looking at the IB crazy Ultra set that includes a clover and a mushroom to take care of my basic set up, but I need something to punch through the tree tops and or brush a little better than what the'll do. My monitor is on a tripod so I can swivel it to point when I need to. I dont fly behind myself so there is really no need to cover my back. I was thinking maybe even going with a patch and a cannon and using a mushroom for my VTX antenna. Any advice is certainly welcome. My Disco is flying awesome now , tricked out with a new mini IOSD as well as using the TBS Core. Love it ! As soon as I get my lights re wired I'll be ready to stretch my wings a little more and start venturing out further . Right now I'm staying with in 200-250 yards. Considering I already had a fly away my knees get knocking when I get out past 200 yards.
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi T/C, we have a small group doing the fly through the trees with mini's and getting great performance from the IB Crazy Bluebeam Ultra's back to IB Crazy's three turn helical's with no diversity. I would think that a five turn and diversity it might be a little better but not hugely so.

Pete
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Blue Beam Ultra

Ive been watching IB Crazy's videos. Yea I think I'm going with his Ultra set for sure. Since I have Diversity maybe I'll put a cannon on the other side just to give me a little more punch . I'll start off with the Blue Beam Ultra as soon as I can find a set in stock and go from there. If it works as good as they say I really wont need anything more than that for now. Maybe I'll add a supper cannon on the other side later down the road so I have a insurance card in my set up if I need to point it to clear up my picture. I did notice they sell out quit quickly. Time to start searching til I find a set. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...02&ignorebbr=1
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
Holy Antenna Bat Man ! Who's using one of those monsters? Looks impressive but huge. I found a set of Blue Beams.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
lol... you might need to upgrade the servos on your antenna tracker... I assume you wouldn't mount that on your goggles.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah. But if you put 2 together and have one horizontal and one vertical on a tracking platform, you'd have no excuse for losing track of your bird.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Roof mount

If I ever decide to set up a roof antenna that would do the trick for sure. Add a tracker to that and I could cover the entire mountain top were I live. But for now Im grabbing the IBCrazy Ultra Blue beam set. Im sure they will fill my needs for now , I'll add a cannon if needed later on. I just straightened out my VTX clover leaf so I can put it back on my Disco. I'm mating it up to a mushroom on one side and a RX Clover on the other side. Hope to test it out today but this cold of mine is kicking my butt and I'm thinking about a nap now.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Hey T/C, I just caught up with this thread, but yeah, I think you'll like that Blue beam. I've been out 3/4 mile with one on the Disco #1 and just a cheap little patch (not even circular polarized, but somewhat directional) on my goggles, no problem!

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2014, 08:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Penatration

I took a couple of flights down to the pond tonight with my slightly out of tune cheap clover leaf .I was able to drop down behind the apple trees and all the bushes, It was really cool flying around and between forage for a change . I cant wait to be able to go a little deeper and do it with out getting so nerves from snow and fade outs. I did have to punch out a few times but I quickly regained a clear video signal. I think I'll be venturing a lot deeper once I get those Blue Beams mounted up. I have to give Kudos to DJI for there mini IOSD . Man I love that thing. I even have my RTH Fail safe re activated now. My fear has subsided. Im locking on to 9 -13 satellites and feeling a bit more comfortable venturing out now. Best part is I'm still running my TBS core along with the Mini, so I have a nice OSD full of all the info I'll ever need. Sorry Im so long winded but this hobby has to be one of my all time favorites . I can see how you guys end up with more than a few of these as time goes on. Addicting for sure
Old 09-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blue Beam

My New IBCRAZY Blue Beam Ultra set has been ordered , I can't wait to test it out. Now hopefully I'll be able to fly a lot lower and sneak up on some deer and other animals that lurk around up here in these mountains. Wonder if Big Foot would mind his picture taken.LOL
Old 09-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The problem I have with IBC stuff is there is no plastic cap. If you bend the antenna, then you decrease reception when you bend it back. Next year I think he will have the protective caps.

I have a $6 spiro and a $12 helix on my Skyzones and get much better reception than those that have just an IBC bluebeam. Diversity is far more important than which brand of antenna you buy. I constantly have to shorten our race courses because people bought fatshark googles that don't have diversity.

Diviner Gregg

FPV Racing Channel . . . new episode every other Friday
Diviner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default protection cover

I'm defiantly going to make a cover for my Blue beam . I dont know why they dont include that with these kind of antennas. I tipped my quad over a while ago with my clover leaf on it and now its out of tune and worthless. I imagine I could find the right angles to re bend it but I'm sure it wont be like new again. My diversity works great so when I do get goggles I'll be running those off my ground station . One thing that's a must is good quality reception. Were I fly if I dump my quad it will be very hard to locate. I will be saving for a recorder so I can at least have the last latitude and longitude to put me in the ball park. I will also be elevating my antennas using a pole to gain the most signal as I can. This mountain is very hilly and full of fields and forest. When your ship goes down it takes hours to locate it. And like my fly away never found. I'll figure something out to use so I have confidence if I ever dump it I can at least find it.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diviner View Post
Diversity is far more important than which brand of antenna you buy.
+1. I totally agree with that, especially at these high frequencies.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in